Would you have this horse on your livery yard?!

PercyMum

Visit site
Just for a bit of fun, I thought I'd ask if any YO's out there would have thrown my horse off their yard, just because I was looking at him this morning and thinking what a total and utter high maintenance, diva-esque moron he is!! I won't be offended, more I just thought I would share the ridiculousness of what we have to go through with him to keep him happy and injury-free. He was successful racehorse who spent most of his life in Dubai so I don't know if that's why he is the way he is...

- Can't be turned out with others AT ALL. Have tried with numerous horses and he either beats them up, won't leave them alone and nags them round the field all day, destroys their rugs or tries to mount them. Alot.
- Can't have an unbroken run of turnout or he gallops up and down doing power slides, destroying the field and/or twanging tendons in his hinds. Now has to have slaloms built in his field so he can't get up enough speed to inflict self-injury. Does this whether by himself, in with others, has company over the fence or not.
- If you keep him in a regular routine, he throws his toys out the pram if that routine is not EXACTLY adhered to and when he does, he has in the past killed chickens by stamping on them in a tantrum (field has now had to be chicken-proofed, and we try and vary his daily routine slightly)
- He won't eat hay, and will only eat haylage if it hasn't been on the floor so he has to have a feeder in the field with a haynet tied into it because if you just put the haylage into it, he pulls it out, throws it on the floor, rolls in it and then won't eat it then sets about destroying his turnout in a tantrum. Same with feed - must be fed from a chest-high feeder or in a Fort Knox style tyre feed holder that is bolted to a tree.
- Will only eat grass for an hour, then will only eat haylage. Failure to provide haylage results in aforementioned tantrum.
- Digs up the rubber mats in his stable - its a super fun game apparently. These have now all been bolted to the floor but this morning I caught him trying to pull one up with his teeth.
- Rain/Wind/weather in general causes hysteria which means one MUST be put in one's stable IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do so results in charging around and refusing to be caught and behaving like a feral 2 year old until you have learnt your lesson (I have to say, I don't give in on this and ignore him until he behaves in a civilized manner. This has, in the past, taken up to 3 hours...)

He is great to ride and handle, if not a bit quirky, and has regular ridden work with variety (4-6 times a week, although more on the 4 side atm as I'm 9 months pregnant). I do worry I mollycoddle his behaviour but I got fed up of the vets bills, weight loss and histrionics if I didn't capitulate to at least some of his demands!! I was just thinking its so lucky that he lives at home as I just could not expect a yard to put up with him and if I were a YO, I wouldn't want to! By comparison, the other 2 live out or in, eat what's put in front of them, plod round their field quite happily in all weathers and behave like erm, a horse...

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has high-maintenance idiots that they think 'Thank Christ he lives at home!!'.

Last edited:

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Mine are quite high maintenence, and on a livery yard (Luckily I'm very good friends with the owners and have been for years) They cope very well with their idiotic behaviour, the only thing they ask is that they don't have to handle them which is fine as I will go turn out and bring them in :) They are on DIY may I add,but the livery owners will feed up and hay them for me and give them water. They also fix things mine regularly break haha!

rachk89

Visit site
Most of the issues you describe tend to disappear if the horse is worked hard. ;)

But then she said he is worked 4-6 times a week and yet hasnt changed. Although we don't know how long each session is so he probably needs more than an hours hard work everyday.

Either way though, wow he is high maintenance. I thought mine was bad he looks like an angel now.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I wouldn't have him on mine no, but then we are mostly an out 24/7 yard and no separation unless medically necessary.

I do have to ask though - is your horse happy?

PercyMum

Visit site
I'd turn him out without a rug and say 'see you in the Spring' :eek3::lol::devilish:

Gawd, I'm not that rich or brave!!!

Most of the issues you describe tend to disappear if the horse is worked hard. ;)

Crikey, when he is in normal work he gets 2 x 60-90 min fast hacks per week, 1-2 30 min lunge sessions and 1-2 60 min schooling sessions or lesson. Not sure I could do more than that without being a snotty heap on the floor!!! Maybe when I'm back onboard I'll try and get rid of some of the inevitable weight gain by working him harder...although I am sure there will be some kind of diva response to any planned change in one's exercise schedule!!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Would I have him on a yard?
Depends on the yard set up and whether the owner was prepared to fund his behaviour quirks and time for managing him!
I'd be inclined to give him a trial period.
He does sound like a royal PITA though

PercyMum

Visit site
But then she said he is worked 4-6 times a week and yet hasnt changed. Although we don't know how long each session is so he probably needs more than an hours hard work everyday.

Either way though, wow he is high maintenance. I thought mine was bad he looks like an angel now.

I'm no fluffy bunny with the horses - he is literally the biggest PITA I have ever come across, TBF, I was warned when I rehomed him from Darley...

I wouldn't have him on mine no, but then we are mostly an out 24/7 yard and no separation unless medically necessary.

I do have to ask though - is your horse happy?

An excellent point. Yes, I think he is. He has a shiny coat, great musculature and works willingly (albeit a small hiccup with suspected ulcers a few months back - he didn't like being schooled by my trainer. Sigh - more evidence of highly strung idiot behaviour). He loads and competes well and I do enjoy him. I hate the fact that he has to live by himself (I don't think its healthy for a horse) and that he has to be managed the way he is but the alternate is a stressed-out injured animal and frankly, it was getting to the point where I wasn't going to be able to afford the vets bills anymore. I do try periodically to revert to 'normal' treatment but rarely with success.

PercyMum

Visit site
Would I have him on a yard?
Depends on the yard set up and whether the owner was prepared to fund his behaviour quirks and time for managing him!
I'd be inclined to give him a trial period.
He does sound like a royal PITA though

What a lovely open-minded YO you must be - I wouldn't give the awkward sod the time of day!!! I've genuinely wondered what I would do if we couldn't keep the horses at home anymore; I guess find a yard with individual turnout and bribe the YO with muchos wine and choccie with plenty of pre-emptive 'I'm so sorry about my horse....' comments...!!

be positive

Visit site
I would probably give him a trial but would expect him to be in proper work to see if that helped, the exercise regime above is not my idea of hard work, if he is still young and healthy he sounds like he needs a real job to do, although being pregnant is obviously limiting what you can do with him.
I had one livery here that the previous owners had sent to the hunt for a few seasons for the staff to use, it sounded as if they were doing the hunt a favour by giving them a decent extra horse, he was great all summer and when we got into winter I discovered WHY they had sent him away each year, he was a damn nuisance once the workload dropped, owner at school so riding less as the days got shorter and not competing regularly, he was not happy out, not happy in, complained about everything, come spring and he became normal again.

PercyMum

Visit site
mmmm sounds like he might be a bit riggy TBH???

I'm only a small yard with room for one DIY livery, and for that reason alone I do not think my set-up would suit this horse, so my answer would be no, sorry (no offence).

Gosh, absolutely none taken! Had I known how bad he was, I wouldn't have taken him on in the first place!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Crikey, when he is in normal work he gets 2 x 60-90 min fast hacks per week, 1-2 30 min lunge sessions and 1-2 60 min schooling sessions or lesson. Not sure I could do more than that without being a snotty heap on the floor!!!

Personally that routine for me is nowhere near hard work. I wouldn't have him on my yard unless he was worked hard - having had several ex racers who have been firmly institutionalised, ample turn out is a bit of a novelty and they can be complete morons if they are on light work. The digging rubber mats up isn't uncommon, I've previously solved it by removing the mats - it seems to be the logical solution and their shoes last considerably longer.

Again the not eating from the floor is not uncommon, a lot of horses won't eat haylage that has been dragged around. Mine have just learnt to cope without feeding in the field because I feel that unless there is a serious weight issue, ad lib feeding in fields (particularly mine, which have grass) is unnecessary. your reference to him only eating grass for an hour before haylage and then tantrum suggests you are just reinforcing his bad behaviour by giving him haylage after his tentrum - this will not break the cycle. Stop feeding him. Eventually, he will stop the tantrum.

PercyMum

Visit site
I would probably give him a trial but would expect him to be in proper work to see if that helped, the exercise regime above is not my idea of hard work, if he is still young and healthy he sounds like he needs a real job to do, although being pregnant is obviously limiting what you can do with him.
I had one livery here that the previous owners had sent to the hunt for a few seasons for the staff to use, it sounded as if they were doing the hunt a favour by giving them a decent extra horse, he was great all summer and when we got into winter I discovered WHY they had sent him away each year, he was a damn nuisance once the workload dropped, owner at school so riding less as the days got shorter and not competing regularly, he was not happy out, not happy in, complained about everything, come spring and he became normal again.

Did think about asking someone to hunt him but he had a stress fracture plated whilst in racing so probably not the best idea for him. My plan once I've sprogged is to try and event him this year - I do wonder if he needs his brain engaging a bit more. He is 10 this year, came out of racing at 6, took a long time to strengthen and get going as he was growing all over the place. last year was supposed to be our first season of decent competing but I fell pregnant and have been really unwell with it so although he has been in regular work, its not been as hard as I suspect he could take. His routine is very manageable now; I just couldn't imagine a yard putting up with his demands, and quite rightly!

Charlie007

Visit site
He is only reacting to how he has been previously kept. He has never had chance to just be horse and doesn't know how to!! As frustrating as it is I would also pander to his every need for a quiet life, its not his fault! If you were on my yard ( If I had my own) you would be welcome as long as you were TOTALLY DIY!!

PercyMum

Visit site
Personally that routine for me is nowhere near hard work. I wouldn't have him on my yard unless he was worked hard - having had several ex racers who have been firmly institutionalised, ample turn out is a bit of a novelty and they can be complete morons if they are on light work. The digging rubber mats up isn't uncommon, I've previously solved it by removing the mats - it seems to be the logical solution and their shoes last considerably longer.

Again the not eating from the floor is not uncommon, a lot of horses won't eat haylage that has been dragged around. Mine have just learnt to cope without feeding in the field because I feel that unless there is a serious weight issue, ad lib feeding in fields (particularly mine, which have grass) is unnecessary. your reference to him only eating grass for an hour before haylage and then tantrum suggests you are just reinforcing his bad behaviour by giving him haylage after his tantrum - this will not break the cycle. Stop feeding him. Eventually, he will stop the tantrum.

Can't remove the mats as the floor in the stable block is smooth concrete so it would be dangerous to do so, unless we took up the concrete floor and re-laid, which we cannot afford (stable block was there when we moved in). The mats issue is sorted as they are bolted down - it just made me laugh that he now has an alternate prattish behaviour!! We have no grass here in the winter - I live in the New Forest and its clay and our fields are awful this time of year, so in the winter he lives in a massive woodchip turnout with ad-lib haylage. Perfectly happy as long as the haylage doesn't get contaminated by evil floor germs (sigh). In the summer he is better and can go longer than an hour but the weight falls off him and isn't worth the effort of dealing with the tantrum AND the weight loss.

MissTyc

Visit site
We couldn't accommodate him on our yard.

Interesting, however, we had a late-cut superultra diva Welsh C who displayed all these same behaviours. Owner fell on hard times, rocked up on our livery yard. Was turned out with the herd of 30 and within 3 days was behaving like all the others and running with the herd. We have a few dominant mares that don't tolerate much rubbish. Wouldn't risk it with a bigger horse or a shod horse, however.

PercyMum

Visit site
Can I just ask what people think 'Hard' work is then without being racing/hunting/polo? I don't for one moment think my lad is in hard work at all, as I would only deem hunting or pretty high level competition 'hard' work. But when I say 'fast hack' I mean pretty much all cantering/galloping/trotting/popping logs etc, and my schooling sessions are mostly canter, jumping, polework and lateral work and rarely are less than an hour? I did actually think that was quite a lot of work, especially when I see what most other people are up to. But I'm now thinking he should be doing more - if so, what would people suggest please?

PercyMum

Visit site
Crikey he definitely sounds like a 'special soldier ' doesn't he....

Isn't he lucky to have found you...

Fiona

That's very kind of you to say. Personally, I think I have a big sign saying 'Mug' on my head that he could read when I rocked up at Darley...

We couldn't accommodate him on our yard.

Interesting, however, we had a late-cut superultra diva Welsh C who displayed all these same behaviours. Owner fell on hard times, rocked up on our livery yard. Was turned out with the herd of 30 and within 3 days was behaving like all the others and running with the herd. We have a few dominant mares that don't tolerate much rubbish. Wouldn't risk it with a bigger horse or a shod horse, however.

My mare was supposedly a total bully in the field and hugely dominant. I rather delightedly got her home, let her settle for a few days, pulled her shoes and the idiots shoes off and eagerly awaited an old-school showdown that would put the little b*gger in his place. Instead, she turned into the biggest, sluttiest thing you have ever seen and after 2 days of what seemed almost constant bonking, I gave up and separated them. She was fine and dandy with the other gelding and displayed appropriate kick-ass behaviour with him. It would appear the Knobber is evil to geldings and an irresistible hottie to mares!!!

be positive

Visit site
Can I just ask what people think 'Hard' work is then without being racing/hunting/polo? I don't for one moment think my lad is in hard work at all, as I would only deem hunting or pretty high level competition 'hard' work. But when I say 'fast hack' I mean pretty much all cantering/galloping/trotting/popping logs etc, and my schooling sessions are mostly canter, jumping, polework and lateral work and rarely are less than an hour? I did actually think that was quite a lot of work, especially when I see what most other people are up to. But I'm now thinking he should be doing more - if so, what would people suggest please?

That does sound like a reasonably full on amount of work for a "pleasure" horse but it may still be well within his comfort zone, to me hard work is not about quantity or speed but stretching them out of their comfort zone on a regular basis so they are mentally tired not just physically stretched, it can be difficult if the horse is talented and finds everything easy, it is why so many top class horses are considered to be quirky because they find the work so easy it doesn't ever really stretch them, until they do reach their limitations, which may be way beyond the abilities of the average rider.
Far easier to deal with a less talented individual that a talented one any day.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
He does sound very 'speshul' OP :biggrin3:

Regret that tho I can usually cope with most horses/ponies on my (own) yard, I have a complete distaste for fence runners & field trashers, therefore I'm very glad you have him and not me! :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, I'm afraid I would not have him on the yard. That's not to say I wouldn't accommodate him if he were mine and I didn't have other liveries to care for. But it's something I would only do in that situation.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Haha, well he sounds interesting. Yes I would have him, but only because I have two stables with all-weather turnouts attached and a a separate track type turnout affair. Wouldn't particularly want to deal with him though (no offence), as I'm not really a fan of drama llamas.
I have one who is a bit of a diva, in that he has the sort of personality that means he won't generally just give something a go....he'd rather have a philosophical debate with me about the necessity of doing it, meaning he was irritatingly slow to train with some of the real basics.

My god though, if you wash him with cold water you will pay for it, and the physio still occasionally finds herself on the receiving end of some of his diva attacks when he gets board of holding a stretch or something. I'd probably have given into your racer's demands too, just for a quiet life. It doesn't sound like he's going to change in a hurry.

PercyMum

Visit site
That does sound like a reasonably full on amount of work for a "pleasure" horse but it may still be well within his comfort zone, to me hard work is not about quantity or speed but stretching them out of their comfort zone on a regular basis so they are mentally tired not just physically stretched, it can be difficult if the horse is talented and finds everything easy, it is why so many top class horses are considered to be quirky because they find the work so easy it doesn't ever really stretch them, until they do reach their limitations, which may be way beyond the abilities of the average rider.
Far easier to deal with a less talented individual that a talented one any day.

I suspect you are right! At the end of the day, he seems happy, I put up with him and he isn't going anywhere. I used to find him hugely frustrating but now we have him in a routine that suits him, I just now find him amusing!! He's the 4th ex-racer I have had - all the others were so easy but were all pants at the day job. I do wonder if the fact he was a decent racer makes a difference.