Would you....? (Hypothetical!)

mini_b

Visit site
This came up in conversation today, interested to know what others think.

Currently it’s a very strong sellers market as we know so it seems they have their pick of who comes to view.

If you had someone come view your horse (RC all rounder type) and they seemed perfect in absolutely every way but were overweight or you considered them to be too large for your horse; would you sell/not sell and how would you approach that?

If you had a horse you were desperate to sell. (It was an extra money pit you didn’t need or a project too much for you) and the buyer had cash waiting, seemed sensible, aware and able to cope with disclosed difficulties... but again, was in your opinion too large, would you sell?

This is totally hypothetical and we all had very different answers!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No, I couldn't. In your second scenario I would want to, but I just couldn't, if have to be starving and is probably rather eat the horse ?

I might say I had changed my mind about selling, if I couldn't find a reason for thinking they were a bad match other than the weight.

I'm selling at the moment and you've prompted me to think I should ask the rider's weight before allowing them to view. I wonder how people would take it? But I don't want someone turning up and me having to say "I'm sorry but you are too heavy to ride her", that really would be embarrassing for everyone. Would it be best to put it in the ad, something like "maximum weight for trial ride 12 stone"?

mini_b

Visit site
No, I couldn't. In your second scenario I would want to, but I just couldn't, if have to be starving and is probably rather eat the horse ?

I might say I had changed my mind about selling, if I couldn't find a reason for thinking they were a bad match other than the weight.

I'm selling at the moment and you've prompted me to think I should ask the rider's weight before allowing them to view. I wonder how people would take it? But I don't want someone turning up and me having to say "I'm sorry but you are too heavy to ride her", that really would be embarrassing for everyone. Would it be best to put it in the ad, something like "maximum weight for trial ride 12 stone"?

I’ve seen a few for sale/loan that say a max weight on the advert so you can get that out there before you speak to them. But then how can you make sure? Have them jump on a scale? Many don’t know how much they weigh.

If mine were for sale I feel I would get a lot expecting him to be a weight carrier purely down to his size. He isn’t.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm going to look at one today where over the course of a chilled out chat about the horse, the seller said she was looking for a fairly light rider. Luckily, that's me, so I didn't think too much about it, to be honest, but I suppose it could have been awkward if I wasn't.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Not sure what platform you are using to sell YCBM but I think a short simple sentence like “max rider weight 14 stone” would suffice.

If doing over the phone then I think slipping it in to general info about the horse would work. Ie for me I’d say she’s a 14.1 pony so her back will not take bigger than a 16.5 saddle so please bear this in mind when deciding if you think she is suitable.

Upthecreek

Visit site

You could put a weight restriction on the ad, but they can just say they are under 12 stone even if they are heavier. I think it’s really difficult to accurately guess how heavy someone is. Unless you weigh them on arrival!

If the buyer was a little too heavy, but actively losing weight and was a perfect match for the horse in every way, would you sell to them then? It’s a tricky one.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I wouldn't and I would tell them that I thought they were too heavy for the horse/pony.
Perhaps they might think twice about the appropriate steed for them when looking at another and you might save another inadequately sized horse from having to lug them around for the next 15 years.
Harsh but I would want to know if it was me, and it's not like you ever have to speak to them again so even if they kick off.. so what really :)
I might just feel like this because I am grumpy and unwell right now though! :p

millikins

Visit site
No I wouldn't and would say why; I would aim to be tactful but my efforts at tact are rarely successful. Making a weight limit clear on the advert or phone enquiry would hopefully filter out most unsuitable buyers.

If we ever sold our Dales mare I suspect it would be an issue, they certainly seem to attract the grossly obese because they are after all "weight carriers" :( Even then though it's a tough call, I'd be happy for ours to carry a normal sized man who's going to be 12-14 stone naturally but he'd be in proportion.

Megan V1

Visit site

I have seen many adverts where they state a maximum weight so I really don't see anything wrong with putting it in the advert. To be fair I would imagine that most overweight buyers would realise for themselves that they were too heavy. A friend offered for me to ride her horse but I declined as I knew I was too heavy, I am heavier than she thought I was and when I told her my weight she was glad I refused.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i recently went for a hack at a riding school and on the phone when booking they asked for weight and height... they have mainly ponies so cant cater for huge people..luckily my friend and i were ok and matched their criteria..PHEW !!!!

Winters100

Visit site
No, I would not sell a horse to be ridden by someone too heavy for it.

I would either put max weight in advert, or would inform by phone before, but I would certainly not let someone try the horse if they were too heavy. In my opinion kindest is to put in the advert so as to avoid any awkwardness or embarrassment.

mini_b

Visit site
No, I would not sell a horse to be ridden by someone too heavy for it.

I would either put max weight in advert, or would inform by phone before, but I would certainly not let someone try the horse if they were too heavy. In my opinion kindest is to put in the advert so as to avoid any awkwardness or embarrassment.

this was my POV also.