would you let a loaner take your horse hunting?

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
thoughts please peeps...

my lovely little Raff is going off on loan. the family he is going to are regular hunters...

i'm writing the loan contract, and i'm not sure whether to say it's okay for him to hunt.

now, he'd be a fab horse to hunt. safe, stops, etc.

however, i'm worried it'll fry his brain. he's so chilled out and level headed that i'm not sure he'd be the same horse after hunting.

but... it could also be very good for him. he gets bored easily, he needs to get braver about things like water, and he is rather ploddy at times.

thoughts? :D

hessy12

Visit site
My thoughts are, no. But he isn;t my horse. It'll have to be your decision. Hunting can be very good for horses, but can also cause injuries, just like say cross country etc. It's hard to decide but if it were mine I would not, just because If it isn't me on board, then I am not responsible for what happens. Good luck whatever you decide. It might all be fine and horse might love it though.

Boxers

Visit site
Have they said that they want to take him hunting? Perhaps you should have a talk with them about it and tell them of your concerns. If they are experienced riders and experienced in the hunting field I'm sure they will take it easy and see what he is like. Might be worth having a word though. Good luck with this loan home, hope it works out for you.

Winklepoker

Visit site
I think if the family are seasoned hunters, they will know how to make the most of the experience rather than encourage the negatives so based on them being experienced, I would say ... Yes. Also, think how lovely and how proud you would be to see pics of him out on boxing day with tinsel and trimmings all turned out for followers to view :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes I would.

If they're good enough to loan the horse, they surely can be trusted to look after it whatever they're doing.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
My gelding is on loan atm to a friend of mine. She has never hunted before but her friends are beginning to hunt so she may also think about it. I am not happy for her to take him hunting, and will tell her so when I next see her. I know he would make a great hunter being forward, brave and with a huge jump but I'm too worried of him getting a bad injury. I know the likelihood is that he would be safe but I am such a worrier when it comes to my animals I just can't risk him. I'd hate for him to get an injury resulting in months of box rest or in a worst case scenario having to be retired (he's not young but he should still have a good few years ahead o him.) I think it's entirely up to you. Did you mention this to them when they viewed your horse? If not they may change their mind if tat is what he was going to be used for. I personally wouldn't let a loaner take my boy hunting but as I say I am a HUGE worrier about my animals.

CeeBee

Visit site
Difficult one, I agree, but think if you trust them enough to take him on loan, then they should be trustful (is that even a word?) enough to look after him out hunting.

Umbongo

Visit site
I would say yes....so long as they are regular hunters as you say and lovely people. They may ease him into it and be very sensible about it...but go with your gut feeling. You say they are experienced...so I would rather they take him than if he were with a slightly less experienced loaner. Yes there may be more of a chance he could injure himself as some people say, but he could also break his leg out in his field, so long as he is fit and with an experienced, sensible rider then hunting a few times would not bother me.

Will they be wanting to take him to a few meets this season or would they wait until cubbing again next year?

Last edited:

cobgirlie

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't allow them to. But then I'm such a over protective 'mum' I can't imagine ever allowing anyone to loan my lad anyway so maybe I'm not in the best position to advise!! Lol!!! Depends I suppose on who's riding him and what they expect him to achieve. My lad loves to hunt but he's a heavy cob and therefore slower than alot of the field and I don't allow him to jump while hunting because I want to protect myself and him for XC which is out main love. So anyone riding my lad would have to stick to those rules. Basically speak to them and see what their expections are, I'd be surprised if they are big hunters, that they'd be wanting to take on a loan they couldn't use for hunting anyway??

aimeetb

Visit site
Maybe you could speak to them and suggest that if they want to take him they could try it and you go along on foot and if you are happy with how he seems then great, if it seems a bit much for him then maybe suggest they could wait until next season and start him off Autumn hunting during the week when the meets are quieter to ease him into it? I am sure though if they are seasoned hunters they would probably do this anyway x

mollichop

Visit site
Personally I would yes, if you're happy with the standard of riding they'll look after him and have the sense to not take him again if his behaviour changes i'm sure.

It's hard as he's your boy, but I bet he'll love it and if I were you i'd want to follow them too - you get all the excitement of being there with him with his little ears pricked but none of the nerves! :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes I would.

If they're good enough to loan the horse, they surely can be trusted to look after it whatever they're doing.

Exactly. Unless you don't think the horse is up to hunting.

As someone said, a regular hunting family will know how to handle him, and going regularly would prevent his brain getting fried, as it will become nothing out of the ordinary to him...

RunToEarth

Visit site
No way. I was contemplating letting one of my best friends having my coloured for the season as I haven't the time for him, but I would rather him be at home, doing little, than risk him getting injured, or getting flighty.

cmarychapman

Visit site
If this is a family of seasoned hunters it is likely they will want to hunt, so one thing you might want to have in mind if you do say no (which you would be perfectly within your rights too) is whether they will still want your horse at all.....!

Kenzo

Visit site
Well by the way you have described your horse, yes, I'd very much love to see him being hunted but that's just me, providing they are sensible people and take god care of him, I presume you wouldn't let them have him on loan in the first place if not.

Having said that, some people that hunt on a regular basis I wouldn't even loan a horse to in the first place, but that's another story :rolleyes:, so if your unsure, and it's something your going to worry about then just ask them not to.

But if that's what they do and you already knew that and you have agreed to let them have him on loan, it wouldn't seem quite right you then saying but don't hunt him....if you see what I mean.

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
hi, oooh, loads of replies.

i'm not worried about them not looking after him hunting. far from it. i'm worried about the psychological effect on him... i'm happy for them to take him xc, to gallops etc. i guess i'm paranoid as i had a very safe little pony who went hunting and was never the same again... everytime he saw a dog he thought 'this is it'. everytime he went on the lorry, heard a horn etc he'd sweat up and go a bit wild eyed!...

the girl riding him is 13. but he's suitable for a novice so her age isn't a bad thing. she's a competent little rider, and has very experienced/horsey mum who would accompany her etc. i've spoken to them about it and they are keen to take him. they said it wouldn't be for a full day, just half day.

part of me thinks it would be the making of him.. the other part of me is worried though. x

eta: it sounds like i don't mind if he gets injured... i don't mean it like that. i just mean he can get hurt doing other things, and i can't wrap him in cotton wool. he broke his leg whilst stood in a field... :)

Empy&Treacle

Visit site
If they are regular hunters then they have probably been looking for a mount that they can do lots of things with, but also hunt. Unless they have stables full of horses - which I doubt they do if they're looking for a loan - then they're not going to leave their family member at home when she/he has a fit horse to hunt.

At the end of the day horses will hurt themselves in a stable/field just as likely as they will damage something out hunting. If I took a loan horse on (which I currently have) and there were restrictions of what the horse could do (not due to injury etc) I'd be a little miffed especially if it is something like hunting my family did regularly!

Hunting can do wonders for horses and if he is level headed anyway, he'll always be that way, it might just brighten him up a bit! If he was a fizzy horse who had never hunted I would perhaps think twice. Top Eventer’s take their precious, super-expensive horses out hunting and it never does them any harm!!

JoG

Visit site
I would say yes simply because of all the horses I have loaned or put out on loan they have all hunted. As someone else said, if they're right to have him on loan then they'll look after him :):)

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
If you are worried about him getting an injury then take him 'off loan' wrap him up in cotton wool and never let him leave his box. A horse can injure itself just as easily in the school, out hacking or in the field on turnout.
If you are wooried about his brain frying then this:
As someone said, a regular hunting family will know how to handle him, and going regularly would prevent his brain getting fried, as it will become nothing out of the ordinary to him...

The more a horse hunts, the more relaxed they become . The same goes for you - the more you are to see your horse hunt, the more relaxed YOU will be!

If you are happy with the loaners competancy in riding ability AND horse care then they as seasoned hunters should be able to do what is best for the horse.

Umbongo

Visit site
excellent idea.. i didn't even think of that. and you're right, he'd love it. x

Agree, go out on foot to watch for a few times maybe :)

From my experience and experience with other horses, the more they hunt the more relaxed they become about the whole thing. I know horses that hunt a few times a season and are completely not bothered. But some friends take their horses out once in a blue moon and have a mental horse for the rest of the year. Once friend took her crazy beast out more times a season thinking he would get used to it...and now he stands at meets, oblivious to the hounds etc. So I would say yes...sounds like Raff would love it :)

Ha...I made a comment saying horses can break their legs in a field so I wouldn't be too worried about hunting...forget it was your Raff that did just that!

CalllyH

Visit site
I would suggest they can try it but want an honest report back - if hes going to a good home then it shouldnt be a problem they will know when to stop with him

bonny

Visit site
I'm surprised at some of these replies, isn't the point of having a horse on loan that it's "your" horse and you can do whatever you want with it. I have a pony on loan and it's never occured to me to ask before he does anything ....and yes, he goes hunting etc. If you trust the people he's going to then is it not up to them what he does in future ?

TGM

Visit site
Depends on the horse or pony. When our oldish grey pony went out on loan, we specified no hunting in the contract, because she was getting on in years, had never hunted before to our knowledge and was being loaned by novice child riders. However, our chestnut pony is younger and has hunted many times before and her current rider is very competent, so we would be happy for her to hunt.

Umbongo

Visit site
I'm surprised at some of these replies, isn't the point of having a horse on loan that it's "your" horse and you can do whatever you want with it. I have a pony on loan and it's never occured to me to ask before he does anything ....and yes, he goes hunting etc. If you trust the people he's going to then is it not up to them what he does in future ?

Sorry I don't agree with this. Many of the horses I have loaned the owners have carried on insurance. Had I had gone hunting or something, and the horse was injured...the owner may not have him insured for hunting and the insurance would not pay out. You can treat them as your own but it is up to the owner what the horse is and isn't allowed to do.

My friend took a horse out on loan. Asked the owner if she could hunt and she said no he was dangerous and wasn't insured for it. The girl took him out anyway and the horse reared up vertical and fell on top of the girl breaking her leg. Also one friend did endurance with hers without asking the owner. Horse was injured and owner left with a £3000 vets bill as endurance was not was the horse was insured for and so the insurance wouldn't pay out.

I always ask the owner is it ok if I do some dressage with him/is it ok for me to go on a fun ride etc. And the owner may have more of an idea of how they will behave/whether you can cope/if the horse is insured should anything happen during the activity, they may even want the opportunity to come and watch to see how they are doing.

If you want a horse that you can do whatever you want with without asking, then buy your own horse. If the owner knew you were doing something that they had not allowed, they have every right to take the horse back.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
I'm surprised at some of these replies, isn't the point of having a horse on loan that it's "your" horse and you can do whatever you want with it.
No, not really - it depends on what your loan agreement specifies. It is never "your" horse, ownership remains with the owner and they want to ensure that they get the horse back in a similar state to that which they loaned it out in! So if they feel that some sort of activity might be detrimental to the horse in some way, then they are justified in 'banning' the activity in the loan contract.

For example, I know of horses with navicular loaned out as happy hackers, with the express proviso that they are not to jump. Likewise, I would suspect most mare owners wouldn't want their mare bred from whilst out on loan, unless it was specifically a breeding loan!

It is important though, that the loaner is made aware of any restrictions right from the outset - wrong to suddenly announce six months into the loan that hunting or jumping is not allowed (unless there has been some change in soundness/health of the horse for some reason).