Would you let someone coming to try your horse ride out on there own.

lula

Visit site
Suppose it’s the same as a car – would anyone let their car go on a test drive alone? You wouldn’t!

well it might be the same with buying a car except no car ive ever bought have i had to worry it might have a nasty nap in it once i got it home because i didnt drive it down the road on its own before i bought it.

soulfull

Visit site
I would (and have) let people hack alone when trying a horse.

I have also taken horses out alone when trying too and would not buy a horse if I couldn't try it alone as it would set alarm bells ringing.

No way would I buy a horse that I wasn't allowed to take out alone!! I can't emphasize this enough

Someone walking with it is NOT the same even if they hang back. How many times is advise on here given for horses that won't hack alone to take someone of foot or on a bike??

So long as they have left their car with you I don't see the problem and I don't know anyone who wants to hack that would buy a horse they could not hack completely alone. AS for watching owner ride it out, it may well be fine with the owner it trust but not with a new rider

Kenzo

Visit site
If I was selling horse then no I wouldn’t, they may well be a good rider but might not share the same road sense or deal with your horse (if a situation arose) in the right way your horse is used to when on the roads if it’s a quirky type or a youngster, however I think it’s nice that a private vendor or dealing yard can offer and say yes just take him/her out on your own if you want, no probs etc etc :)

daisybe33

Visit site
I think it's a tough one.

It depends on the horse and the rider

If its a youngster then it would depend on how they rode in the arena and on a hack with me- however if I thought they couldn't deal with it on the roads I wouldn't sell to them either.

If a more established horse then yes I would as long as they could ride and I thought they were suitable when they rode it in the arena and on a hack with me.

Victoria25

Visit site
If I'm ever lucky enough to belrose shopping it again it will be fore on that is 100% to hack solo and I would want to try it out that way.
I know only too well that there are many that are fine with a person on foot or a bike for company but complete nutters solo.
As others have said my car would be in the owners yard so I don't see a problem with it.
I'd be happy to hack in company first so the owner could check my riding and come back and do a solo hack another day.
Been stung too many times.
Can't compare horses to test driving cars, cars behave the same with or without company!

LOL, I meant in terms of a complete stranger taking something expensive away without you - not how it behaves (obviously) :rolleyes: I sure as hell wouldnt let someone 'test drive' my TT on their own just as I wouldnt let anyone take my pet (dog/cat/horse).

elliegirl12

Visit site
Gosh i didnt relize i would get so many replies on this!!

It was only because we realized her husband had gone missing and it just seemed strange! it was nothing about my mare she is unfazed about every thing, and i walked out with her the first time! we are in the new forest as well so very very easy to get lost! i think next time i will be keeping her in view somewhere!!