Would you let your horse go to its new home without receiving full payment?

billylula

Visit site
I agree they should pay in full! Think it's a cheek to ask to pay in instalments to be honest. BUT the seller did originally agree so you can't really blame the buyers.

Alexart

Visit site
No deff not!!!! I would simply explain you've been advised not to sell with just a deposit unless the horse is kept on your yard, vetted on your premisis and they are clear that the vetting is only good for that one moment in time, and remains there until paid for in full with everything in writing. If they are not happy with that refund the money and keep the horse up for sale and tell them to come back when they do have the full amount but they risk loosing the horse if someone else comes along - it's business at the end of the day and being nice I'm afraid will get you nowhere regardless of how nice they seem, which of course they will be as they are getting a horse for a fracation of the value!! The amount of time and money you'd need to spend in court to get your mney if they do do a bunk would be huge! I've had people put a deposit on a horse and never come back even after loads of calls etc to see what on earth is going on which then wastes the whole summer when I could have sold the horse waiting for someone who had no intention of returning - so always set a time limit on a deposit that if they don't come up with the money in say 1 month that the deposit is non-refundable to cover your costs and re-advertsing and the horse will be put back up for sale - get it in writing!

You'd also need to think about who is going to pay insurance etc if they did want to go ahead and keep it with you until paid for - although if they pay it and something happens they get a chunk of money and you are left with no horse and only a deposit! I have been asked many times in the past for part payments but have always stated under no circumstances would i do it. If they want the horse that much they will find the money - I'll never understand why someone would look for a horse when they haven't got the capital in the first place, I had one a few weeks ago, loved the horse but can't have one till mid summer so has gone away miserable incase the horse sells in the mean time! Not to mention buying the horse is the cheapest part of owning one!

As others have said there is too much that can go wrong and they could totally screw up your horse and send it back after they've had their fun and you're left with a ******ed animal and no money and at a time of year where it is harder to sell, if they are decent folk they will understand!! - you don't go into tesco and fill your trolley and then ask to only pay part of the value!!
Also them wanting the vetting on their premisis rings alarm bells - the horse could fail on something minor and all you can go on is their vets opinion and then they pester you to reduce the value majorly when in all likely hood there is very little wrong or they'll claim some other issue which drops his value etc, call me cynical but there are folk out there that will try these tactics to get a bargain!!

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
If you are going to tell the story rowreach at least tell it right :/

Pathetic that you bring this onto an open forum . I had respect for you but not anymore .
You can go ahead and say that you mentioned no names but I for one have never mentioned anything as this was between me and you .

Like I said ....if you are going to tell the story, don't make lies up and make me out that I couldn't be trusted .

:(

happyhack

Visit site
Wow!! Slagging off another hhoer and so called friend on an open forum is way out of line!!! Especially when some of the details seem to be very exaggerated....

maxapple

Visit site
Definitely not. They don't have the money so have clearly come to see your horse with the intention of trying to negotiate a way of buying now and paying later. They shouldn't have even been out shopping if they can't pay.

I occasionally window shop on horse mart, but wouldn't dream of going to look at a horse I can't afford and then try to negotiate taking it home without paying.

I think you have had a very lucky escape.

cattysmith

Visit site
It's a tricky one this.

To be honest I know many people who do pay in instalments for horses. Some horses are expensive purchases and many people budget monthly for such things (cars, mortgages etc.) the main thing is as long as the horse is insured in this situation and there are contracts then it should be ok. Things like livery and insurance are all monthly outgoings. This doesn't mean they "can't afford" it as mentioned here, they can and they are...it's just that they don't have one great lump sum in their bank.

And those who say "if they can't afford the price they can't afford to keep it" aren't actually entirely right. If someone has £10k in a savings account and want to spend it on the horse, then all their savings are gone on that purchase and the monthly sums of keeping the animal remain the same, if you see what I mean. Seller has their £10k and waved horse off, and who knows how the new owners manage to afford to keep it. Many people live from month to month.

Anyway, with that aside I really do think, OP with the greatest respect you have messed these people around slightly and that is why their irritated with you. Really you should have thought about this before you made the agreement not afterwards. Monies have already been handed over and if I were you I'd get some legal advice here just in case things get tricky. Make sure you speak to these people as soon as you can because the last thing you need is to be threatened with legal action.

However it's the welfare of the animal that is the important thing here, and that is clearly what your main issue is.

Last edited:

s4sugar

Visit site
Ok why would anyone transport a horse before getting a vetting?
Or arrange transport before payment clearing?

The only time I can see instalmants working is if the horse stays where it is until paid for and the only time I could understand someone"buying" a horse they don't have the funds to hand for is if they know the horse already.

Sorry OP but I think you have had a lucky escape -I hope I'm wrong but if these people are/were genuine they would not have arranged anything without knowing the payment so far had cleared.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
No I would not!!!! he is only officially hers when All sums of money have been paid for him. Until then he is still partly yours. I would only part with his papers and passport when all the money has been paid and cleared - not before.

In light of everything I would like to see the yard he is going to and confirm her home address.

We had a livery here in the early 2000's Every reason for the livery not paid was given, i forgot, sorry haven't been to the bank etc. Pony stayed here a month. still no money. Then she did a flit(vanished when I was out). Only found out after that this lady and karen her daughter steals and sells.

New owner contacted the name on the passport and the lady said *no they did not buy him from me they stole him*

Be very very careful is what I am saying, if anything doesn't sit right or seems wrong - it probably is.

Last edited:

The_snoopster

Visit site
It's a tricky one this.

To be honest I know many people who do pay in instalments for horses. Some horses are expensive purchases and many people budget monthly for such things (cars, mortgages etc.) the main thing is as long as the horse is insured in this situation and there are contracts then it should be ok. Things like livery and insurance are all monthly outgoings. This doesn't mean they "can't afford" it as mentioned here, they can and they are...it's just that they don't have one great lump sum in their bank.

And those who say "if they can't afford the price they can't afford to keep it" aren't actually entirely right. If someone has £10k in a savings account and want to spend it on the horse, then all their savings are gone on that purchase and the monthly sums of keeping the animal remain the same, if you see what I mean. Seller has their £10k and waved horse off, and who knows how the new owners manage to afford to keep it. Many people live from month to month.

Anyway, with that aside I really do think, OP with the greatest respect you have messed these people around slightly and that is why their irritated with you. Really you should have thought about this before you made the agreement not afterwards. Monies have already been handed over and if I were you I'd get some legal advice here just in case things get tricky. Make sure you speak to these people as soon as you can because the last thing you need is to be threatened with legal action.

However it's the welfare of the animal that is the important thing here, and that is clearly what your main issue is.

I agree in part with this , however if you re read her posts she has not yet recieved any money in the bank as she has offered to refund once the money had gone into her account.
I would not let anyone take one of mine without full payment, I am still shocked at how many people arrive to view a horse without even a deposit. I once had a buyer arrive with no deposit and wanted me to hold the horse for 6 weeks with nothing more than a promise from them.

flyingfeet

Visit site
would you let your car go to it's new home without full payment?

Let them take the car under your insurance, whip it round for a bit, have it checked for it's next MOT by their own mechanic before they paid you fully for it?

This - I wouldn't let a horse or car off the premises until paid for!

mel_s

Visit site
I think people are definitely not to be trusted - especially random people who you dont know. But just because they dont have the cash, doesnt mean they cant afford the monthly payments etc. They may have some money they know will be coming to them or something. (Why they viewed a horse they couldnt afford right now is another thread entirely!).

In this instance - wouldnt it have been better to work out a loan with view to buy option? So that the horse is still yours, you have a contract (and can take the horse back if they dont buy it within XXX amount of time) and they have time to get the extra cash together. You could have written in it that payment (in one lump sum amount) is to be made by XXX date if they are buying the horse. This would mean trusting that they would look after the horse (i'd want to see the yard etc) but would prevent a messy situation of only having half the money and the rest not arriving etc. It would still require an element of trust but it would be better than what you were going to do.

*Nik*

Visit site
Definitely no way! If it really is the perfect home I would get him vetted at your yard and then they have him at your yard (they pay all bills) and have acontract and he does not leave you yard until full payment made

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If they really wanted the horse, they could go to a bank and get a cheap loan - paying back in regular instalements without any stress to owners or buyers.. If they can't get clearance for a small loan, they are really not in a financial position to afford a horse full stop..

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I had a simialr situation and i felt the buyers were genuine so.. i agreed a full loan for 3 months until they had the money to pay for her.
It meant that i still owned her, i was able to check her whenver i wanted and after 3 months i was paid in full and handed the passport over along with a receipt.

It meant i never lost the buyers that i felt were perfect for her and i didnt have to worry about them not paying me. I had a strict agreement that if they were unable to pay by 3 months then she would come back but meanwhile, i still owned her.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
If they really wanted the horse, they could go to a bank and get a cheap loan - paying back in regular instalements without any stress to owners or buyers.. If they can't get clearance for a small loan, they are really not in a financial position to afford a horse full stop..

Posts like this irritate me. Its not so black and white as this- i have paid for 2 of my horses in installments and i always paid when i said i would. This is because my ex obliterated my credit rating when we were together and pi44ed off leaving me in a financial mess that needed major help. No one would lend me a 'small loan' from any financial establishment and my family are not horsey enought to understand why i need £2k to buy a horse.
YET- i can and do afford all my horses with zero problems, i earn a good wage, drive a nice car and have my horses and some small luxuries when i want them.
ALL my horses are insured and cared for with good quality tack, saddles and backs checked every 6 months without fail.

Visit site
In fairness to my buyers they asked me the question and explained they had been window shopping but he seemed perfect.

Things calmed down and happily they were given the money by a good friend.

All sorted.

He went to his new home yesterday and has settled well x

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yeah I did, I let my coloured go on trial for a couple of months, they said they wanted him, and passed me a cheque shortly afterwards. I knew they were genuine and people cannot always find money as simply as some people on this forum seem to think, I would never get a bank loan to cover the cost of purchasing a horse.

joeanne

Visit site
If you are going to tell the story rowreach at least tell it right :/

Pathetic that you bring this onto an open forum . I had respect for you but not anymore .
You can go ahead and say that you mentioned no names but I for one have never mentioned anything as this was between me and you .

Like I said ....if you are going to tell the story, don't make lies up and make me out that I couldn't be trusted .

:(

I'm absolutely gutted that someone would imply that CMT was negligent in any way causing the accident T was hurt in.
I would trust CMT with anything I own, and have been on the end of her kindness many a time.
This has made me both exceptionally sad, and also a little bit cross....

s4sugar

Visit site
In fairness to my buyers they asked me the question and explained they had been window shopping but he seemed perfect.

Things calmed down and happily they were given the money by a good friend.

All sorted.

He went to his new home yesterday and has settled well x

Good to hear this. Hope he settles well.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i wouldnt trust anyone Im afraid.

I had someone phone to arrange to see my horse. She said on the phone she was already sure he was for her. I explained I had several other people booked to come and see him but she was adamant he was exactly what she wanted and was desperate to come that afternoon, didnt care about a vetting. I agreed and said ok as long as she gave me a deposit as I would have to cancel the other viewings. She agreed that would be fine. She came over, rode him for over an hour and then said yes she wanted him but wasn't going to be leaving any deposit as that wasnt 'how she did business':mad: I was none to pleased and said in that case I would consider him still for sale until she provided a deposit or paid. She assured me the full amount was transferred into my account first thing the next morning and wanted to come and collect him at the end of the day. However checking hourly, there was no money showing in my account. I spoke to my bank and they assured me no transfer was on its way. I phoned her and she got very nasty, calling me all sorts and assured me it was. By the end of the day no money had arrived so I contacted her said I wasn't going to sell him to her. Every alarm bell was ringing and I was no longer sure about the sort of home she would provide either. She went mad and said the money was definitely on its way and I would have her money and her be left with no horse etc etc... I told her in that case to cancel her transfer but she told me her bank had told her she couldnt cancel it once it was in progress. I assured her if the money appeared in my account I was return it to her immediately... funnily enough no money ever arrived:rolleyes:

zigzag

Visit site
I'm absolutely gutted that someone would imply that CMT was negligent in any way causing the accident T was hurt in.
I would trust CMT with anything I own, and have been on the end of her kindness many a time.
This has made me both exceptionally sad, and also a little bit cross....
I had no idea what had gone one with the previous posts, now with this post I do, maybe this one should be removed