Would you pay for something that didn't work???

minmax

Visit site
Just wondered if you would pay for repeat bandaging as the initial attempts kept falling off. This was to support hocks after arthroscopy. Had am and pm visit as they had fell off by the time I went back to yard to check at lunch.
Eventually had robert jones splints put on and they stayed put.

lizzi2

Visit site
When my horse had a hindleg injury the bandaging kept falling off, despite the vets coming out most days (even sending out different vets to see if one had better luck than the others!) - but had to be done, and the insurance was paying so not an issue!!
If you've not got insurance - always worth asking the vets nicely if they can reduce/waive some of the fee?

minmax

Visit site
I did have £5000, vet cover, it got gobbled up! Bit of a bone of contention as the insurance comented that they may not have paid if it had still been under the cover, as the price was exessive.

lizzi2

Visit site
I'd definitely ask the vets if they can waive the fee a bit then - if even the insurance company thinks was excessive (and they see so many different charges) - and if the vets have had around £5k already...... They can only say no!
I have to say that I was surprised that my horse's bandage fell down so much - although she was a little bit of a fidget, you'd hope that there was some knack to it that us non-vets would have! But what are you to do - if your horse needs it, you've got to have the vet out (I think anyway!).

Mohawk

Visit site
Perhaps it is worth asking your vets to use pressage bandages (http://www.pressage.net/)
They are very good at remaining in place providing the correct size of pressage is used and sufficient padding is put in place underneath, perhaps along with some elastoplast around the top to stick it to the skin/hair.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I did have £5000, vet cover, it got gobbled up! Bit of a bone of contention as the insurance comented that they may not have paid if it had still been under the cover, as the price was exessive.

You're not kidding it's excessive!! I had a youngster done last year - one hock with a chip and the other hock was checked by arthroscopy as the x-rays were inconclusive. The bill from the Vet Hospital ws under £2,000 which included a pair of the Pressage hock boots, which went on over a layer of Soff-ban. I was able to change the dressings and re-do the boots myself, so there were no extra costs once he came home.

(And he made a full recovery and passed a 5 stage vetting 10 months later!)

Bandaging hocks hardly EVER works - if the vet advised against Pressage (between £27 and £30 each depending on size of horse) then I would expect him to redo bandages for nix!