Would you pay more for nicer place or better horse care ?

niagaraduval

Visit site
I'm just wondering if you would pay more for a nicer looking livery yard than a yard that has ok horse care?

I take on one full livery at my home as company for my horse, they have 10 acres field, huge stables (5m * 6m), Excellent quality hay and feed and are on dust free shavings. They are out as much as possible including 24/7 in large clean fields. I take care of all worming, shoes etc. change rugs.. even wash the rugs, stand for farrier, the lot.

The only problem is, I have no school and no one is interested in my full livery service.. :( I only ask money for food and bedding for the horse so I ask around 120 pounds a month in the winter (5 months of year) and 40 pounds in the summer (7 months of the year).

The place is not as spick and span as some but the level of care is paramount so to a high standard...

:( Why is no one interested ? There is excellent hacking too.

NellRosk

Visit site
I'm not sure if I've read it right but you charge 30 quid a week full livery (apart from bedding/ feed) and you DON'T have people flooding to bring their horse?!? :eek:

Equinus

Visit site
I suppose people who work full time to keep their horses would like to ride on days other than days off, especially with the sort of weather you get meaning your one or two days off might coincide with awful riding conditions.

You should get people interested. Spick and span is not necessarily an issue, but safety for the horse and client is absolutely essential, so if 'not spick and span' means tools everywhere and dodgy door catches or fencing I would give it a miss.

Daytona

Visit site
For me having no school would be a deal breaker but I just can't not have one.

Seems strange though why maybe a happy hacker would not be interested

be positive

Visit site
Yes ! All food and bedding is included in the price. That's all I ask for... as it's company for my horse..

It is a bargain for the right person, are you advertising as a full livery service or as a companion that pays it's way, you may find a better response if you sell it in parts rather than as a full livery.

Space for one horse in small yard as companion for my lonely horse, xxx per month in winter, to cover the cost of all feed, hay, bedding xxx in summer, good grazing, lovely hacking, I will take care of the all the day to day requirements at no further cost to ensure my horse has a companion, suit busy person lacking time to go daily and attend to their horse.

Put in any other selling points such as the enormous stables, you being on site etc private, peaceful, suitable for retirement, rather than offering livery sell the place and environment, although not literally.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Maybe advertise it as retirement livery? That way a school/arenas not needed :) cant see why people wouldn't jump at the chance to be honest. Horse care is always above facilities for me, moved from a place with indoor stables, perfect arena etc because the care/hay wasn't always good enough. Place im at now is far from tatty, infact its lovely but it doesn't have a posh arena (have a perfectly useable one though :) ) etc. But YO treats my mare as one of her own, can relax about her when im not there where as before i found myself stressing over if her rug had been changed/legs washed/fed/turned out/bought in when i asked.

Very good price too! I pay more than that for assisted diy :)

skint1

Visit site
Spick and Span would put me right off a yard actually, because I know I couldn't live up to it, functionally tidy I can do, and as long as everything is safe for the horse I would be very happy with what you have described, I am a happy hacker so a lack of school is no problem to me. I might feel like I was taking advantage of you though with you doing all the care at that price! For me generally though, I tend to avoid small private yards, I had a bad experience on one, nearly lost a friend over it.

I just noticed you're in France, maybe this makes a difference? Are there less happy hacker type people there maybe?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Its not really full livery if they're doing the work though. Its DIY with bedding and feed, isn't it?

It sounds good to me. We used to DIY with haylage for £30 pw. We have a reasonably nice yard but no school, wonderful hacking though and other arenas you can use within 10mins hack. We used to have a queue of people (still get people asking regularly even though we don't do it anymore).

Give it time. I'm sure people will come.

niagaraduval

Visit site
Except I am because I feed, muck out, groom, change rugs, turnout I do what I do for my own horse so yes I believe i'm giving full livery service.

In france there does seem to be happy hackers but i think most do want a school, which is what i dont have however they would be able to ride in the big fields..

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sorry, I understood that wrongly then, thought you were just doing stable and hay and straw.. You are indeed doing part livery.

I don't have a school and still evented my horse BE. Its not the be all and end all unless you live in a dreadful hacking area!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Im thinking should i give my stables a lick of paint inside, spruce the place up and possibly charge a bit more ? is it the price that is putting people off ? I want people to feel they are getting a good deal..

Adopter

Visit site
It sounds lovely I hope you find someone. We have never had a school, just used to mark out an arena in the field for practicing test moves, my family all competed very successfully without in BD and BE.

We could not afford uni fees and an arena!

Flame_

Visit site
Advertise the stable as a retirement livery/companion home arrangement. Lots of people have old horses they don't need facilities for and would love a compromise of giving their horse for the job of companion and getting cheap livery in return. I used to do it on a private yard with my mare and it was a really good arrangement.

mollymum

Visit site
Most people would be biting you hand off! Changing rugs, providing shoes and worming - it sounds luxurious. It's probably the lack of school, as a lot of people have to ride after work when it's dark. Perhaps you'll have to rethink your advertising; really stress the above points and the local hacking.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Im thinking should i give my stables a lick of paint inside, spruce the place up and possibly charge a bit more ? is it the price that is putting people off ? I want people to feel they are getting a good deal..

It can't help to spruce up the stables, smart & tidy always looks better than possibly tacking some tlc? To be honest, as I'm not in France, I don't really know if the price you are charging is right? Actually the livery you are offering may not be what the potential French clients want. Would it be possible for you to visit & speak to other places around you that have clients & see what they are offering? What sounds fine to us in England may not be what the French want.

Good Luck :)