Would you PTS this dog

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh OP, what a horrible situation to be in, but good that you're obviously thinking the whole thing through and wanting the very best for your bitch.

Personally I wouldn't consider re-homing, at 10 years old she's going to be terribly traumatised by this; IF indeed you could find someone to take her on they might not realise quite what they've taken on board and it would be awful if they were unkind to her about it, which could easily happen.

Yes agree with others that one option might be to consider a second opinion; you mention a fishy smell........... that could indicate something in her uterus perhaps? Has she been spayed? I don't have huge vet. knowledge but heard/read somewhere that if bitches are NOT spayed they can get something wrong with their uterus in later life, and a fishy smell might indicate something other than just wee???

But, TBH, I am with Alec on this one: there is no shame in making a PTS decision faced with this set of circumstances and wanting to do the right thing for your bitch.

pistolpete

Visit site
The 16 year old dog I gave a home to, certainly wasn't traumatised, nor the two eight year olds I took on three years ago. You must do what you think is best but animals adapt and are not people. They are however a big responsibility.

Daytona

Visit site
No I would not rehome home her..? Who is going to take on a dog that's peeing all over there house constantly..? I work for a rescue and they would not even attempt to rehome home a old dog with something like that, and it's not her fault. She will just end up being put outside , locked in a garage or a utility room and would be utterly miserable, I know my own dog. She wants to be with you and family and feel part of it, not ostracized.

Yes she has been on both propalin and incurin combined now for about 1 year. With switching to one the them other trying to see if we can keep her body working , neither seems to be working on its one or Induvidual, she is in the max of 1ml a day and 1 tablet a day , so increasing does makes no odds we already asked the vets about that

What would a second view do.? What she has is a very common issue in spayed bitches, there is only two drugs that control it and she gets both, the other option is sometimes they can do surgery but it's not possible on her we looked into it years ago. They hardly do it in any dogs. The reason she has this is due to being spayed, removal of the reproduction organs stops her producing a hormone which in turn controls bladder - incurin is this hormone

Propalin is a short action drug which works tightening the muscles , I've done loads of research on this subject as my last boxer was the same only she became worse at a older age so it was not a hard choice then and also became diabetic. She was PTS at 12.

Remember this is not a new problem she has been like this for over 4 years. It's just now the drugs no longer work, the vets say it gets to a point where the muscle controlling the bladder simple become far too weak, the control of them is failing , the drugs can't stop it and it will only continue to get worse.

I think I know deep down what is the right thing to do

It just makes me so sad

Last edited:

Daytona

Visit site
Someone mentioned pads, we already use them, u can see one under the bed in that video clip

We have underfloor heating which she loves to lie in floors because it's warm so you can't predict where she is going to sleep in the night, sometimes in her bed but often on the warm floors

Which if course makes smell worse as heats it up.

The stinking rotten fish smell is to do with hormones, her urine has been checked etc for all sorts

pippixox

Visit site
you have given her an amazing life, and well done for doing everything you can to help her.
however, i agree with others, that this seems like the right time to say goodbye. 10 years is a very good life, and then she has not got the disturbance in her old age from house move and baby. i know she is clearly a lively, happy dog, but do you really want to wait until she is miserable and subdued?
all the best

Zero00000

Visit site
Daytona, I say a long time ago as from my own experience I left my cat incontinent at 23, looking back, I wish I had helped her a long time ago

Daytona

Visit site
Daytona, I say a long time ago as from my own experience I left my cat incontinent at 23, looking back, I wish I had helped her a long time ago

Ahh ok fair do, you have been there too. It's just a horrible situation, what I don't want is regrets, regrets maybe she suffered in anyway.

I like what another poster said about letting her go when she was still shining bright, I think that's nice. For her world to end when she still had a good quality of life.

I'm going to speak to my husband, see about making a date to do it at home, when he is home and between now and then , making her feel extra special.

Thanks guys for all your advice, it's made me feel not so much a cruel cow but more a sensible and responsible owner.

Alec Swan

Visit site
No I would not rehome home her..? Who is going to take on a dog that's peeing all over there house constantly..? I work for a rescue and they would not even attempt to rehome home a old dog with something like that, and it's not her fault. She will just end up being put outside , locked in a garage or a utility room and would be utterly miserable, I know my own dog. She wants to be with you and family and feel part of it, not ostracized.

I think I know deep down what is the right thing to do

It just makes me so sad

Such a well reasoned and realistic post.

Someone earlier said that it's all very well, for those of us on the outside to have what appears to be the only answer, but it's not that simple when it's 'your' dog, and the writer was absolutely right. It isn't easy, it's bloody horrible, and it's more than sad. Killing a friend is difficult, and even those who may appear to be immune to such sensibilities struggle with it.

You're right, in that you know deep down what the answer is.

Alec.

As a p.s. and just out of interest, was your dog spayed?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We bought the house next door a few years ago from an old man that was going into a home. He had an old cat who was very incontinent too. He was at the point of having her put down. We took her on with the house. For the first year she did pretty well, but then started peeing everywhere again (and she did it on furniture, bookshelves, all over). She was an old cat, and we decided to have her PTS at home - she'd never been to the vets in her 19 years. It was a hard decision even for a cat that wasn't our pet, so to speak. So it must be really hard for you. I got a few "I would never do that" comments one here, but now, a few years on, don't think I did the wrong thing at all.

Hugs to you, it won't be easy or nice but is the best thing to do really. She has had a good, happy life with you. If you keep her going and keep going through this you and your husband may grow to resent her, and she will know it. Better to do it while you're all friends and she feels happy and loved..

pootleperkin

Visit site
Someone mentioned pads, we already use them, u can see one under the bed in that video clip

We have underfloor heating which she loves to lie in floors because it's warm so you can't predict where she is going to sleep in the night, sometimes in her bed but often on the warm floors

Which if course makes smell worse as heats it up.

It looks as if you have come to the difficult decision, but as a last idea, have you considered training her to sleep in a crate that you could layer with incontinence pads at night when the problem occurs? That way you will keep the mess in the crate at least. Just a thought x

Daytona

Visit site
It looks as if you have come to the difficult decision, but as a last idea, have you considered training her to sleep in a crate that you could layer with incontinence pads at night when the problem occurs? That way you will keep the mess in the crate at least. Just a thought x

She would freak out she is a strange critter, we can't close any doors as if left alone just stratches the hell out of them, I don't think she would train to go in one, not at her age it would stress her way too much, she has a dodgy heart

Even fainted at vets getting stiches out, anything out of normal and she gets so stressed she ends up fainting, I'd not put her through that at her age, I think that would kill her

She has a heart murmer

Alec - yes she is spayed - this is why she is incontenant, when they remove reproductive organs it stops body producing a certain hormone which controls the bladder, a very common complication of spaying ESP in boxers unfortunately , this is my 3rd boxer to have this issue it's just not become as bad as this at only 10 , normally nearer 12 years old.

Incurin the tables are a hormone replacement drug

Alec Swan

Visit site

Alec - yes she is spayed - this is why she is incontenant, when they remove reproductive organs it stops body producing a certain hormone which controls the bladder, a very common complication of spaying ESP in boxers unfortunately , this is my 3rd boxer to have this issue it's just not become as bad as this at only 10 , normally nearer 12 years old.

Incurin the tables are a hormone replacement drug

It seems that I owe you an apology, and that's on offer.

a.

Dizzle

Visit site
Growing up, we had the most perfect cat, she really was amazing, she was a pure bred Blue Abyssinian, we got her as a freebie rescue from a breeder, I've never known a cat have a character like it, she was very clever. My mother thought the world of her, the cat was there through some tough times.

When she was in her late teens she was poorly, mum took her to the vets and she was diagnosed with an ailment that could be treated but she would get slowly worse overtime, my mother, being the sensible unselfish lady that she is had our cat PTS there and then. The cat left us having been able to do the things she loved (hunt!) rather than decrepit and stuck indoors.

I hope when the time comes with either of my animals that I have the strength to be like my mum. It broke her heart to have our cat PTS but it was better than breaking the cats.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there, but when the time comes I hope I am strong enough to let my pets go out on a high xxxxxx

XxCoriexX

Visit site
A few years ago I had a collie that had this exact problem. we would find her lying in her own mess, but she was still happy and would wag her tail and jump up to say hi, eventually it got worse to the point where the weakness moved to her back legs and she was finding it difficult to get up. it was at the point that we had her put to sleep.
Don't ever feel you are a 'cruel cow' for doing what is right for your pet! Steffi is a beautiful dog and I always had a soft spot for her! you have looked after her well and are now only continuing to do what is best for her!
Love and Hugs to Steffi as well and a big Aunty Sarah shove and run hehe!

Seriously though anyone that knows you knows that you would only be doing what is the best thing for your animal.
((hugs))

Congrats on the baby! you will make a brilliant mum!

ladyt25

Visit site
Really feel for you and have no advice really as I think ultimately you know what decision you're going to make.I recall seeing on a Bondi Vet episode once them performing an op on a young rottie to cure this problem. It did work but then that was a young dog and one without the additional complications of a heart murmur.

Your dog has had a life that some dogs will never get to experience. You need to give yourself credit for that and the fact she is still a happy dog. Our family dog was pts last year a few weeks before Christmas. He was having more regular accidents and he had never been one for soiling in the house. We made the decision as his quality of life deteriorated rapidly. It was bloody hard for us all but it was the best decision for him.

I wish you all the best. It is never easy.

Daytona

Visit site
Thanks guys

Yes I think my mind is made up, just need to wait for hubby to come home then set a date, came down stairs today and no wet - which makes it harder, the fact it's not every day. Some days she is fine. God why do our pets have to get old , it's just heart breaking :-(

Thanks Sarah - your so nice :)

Yes we looked into the op with Steffi years ago but she was not suitable for it unfortunately.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thanks guys

Yes I think my mind is made up, just need to wait for hubby to come home then set a date, came down stairs today and no wet - which makes it harder, the fact it's not every day. Some days she is fine. God why do our pets have to get old , it's just heart breaking :-(

Thanks Sarah - your so nice :)

Yes we looked into the op with Steffi years ago but she was not suitable for it unfortunately.

I didn't want to "read and run" . . . I am so very sorry that you are in this horrible position, but you sound like a lovely, caring owner and want the very best for your beautiful girl. Wishing you peace with your decision.

P

ladyt25

Visit site
Oh I thought she was doing it every day? Just an aside - there isn't any possibility she has picked up an urinary tract infection at all that has caused her to suddenly get worse and not respond to the drugs?

Just a thought (I imagine your vet has checked this). Just I know at one point our dog went through a stage of being suddenly worse and he was treated with some antibiotics which cleared it up and he regained some control. I still think having her PTS is not the wrong decision. I think it just makes it harder (for us humans) when outwardly the dog seems happy.

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... God why do our pets have to get old , it's just heart breaking :-(

When I was seriously in to gundog training, the one consolation when I sold youngsters was that I'd never have to make 'the' decision for them. However practical and realistic someone may consider themselves to be, it doesn't make it any easier.

I think that you've actually managed all of this thread, and your dog too, with a remarkable level of courage and reality. There's no question that you have done, and will continue to do, what's right for both of you. I applaud you.

Alec.

PolarSkye

Visit site
When I was seriously in to gundog training, the one consolation when I sold youngsters was that I'd never have to make 'the' decision for them. However practical and realistic someone may consider themselves to be, it doesn't make it any easier.

I think that you've actually managed all of this thread, and your dog too, with a remarkable level of courage and reality. There's no question that you have done, and will continue to do, what's right for both of you. I applaud you.

Alec.

Alec - what a lovely post :).

P

jodie3

Visit site
Some years ago I took on a rescue Dalmatian bitch. She was absolutely beautiful and became 'my ' dog from day one. She never left my side and used to come to work with me. But I quickly discovered she had major urinary incontinence problems, which I think is why she ended up in the rescue and not the story her original owners told. I tried the drugs the OP mentioned and some of my customers were prepared to put up the money for her to have an op to try to cure her. But she was an elderly girl and there was no guarantee the op would work so I made the heartbreaking decision to have her PTS.

So I really feel for you and know what a horrible decision it is to have to make. Your beautiful girl has had the best life possible with you and I think you are making the kindest decision for her.

whisp&willow

Visit site
It's so horrible when they become incontinent.

My bitch has has sporadic incontinence since discovering her hypothyroidism. It cleared up when she went onto soloxine but has since returned. She is on propalin now, and it seems to be making a difference, and I'm waiting on blood test results to rule out the possibility that her thyroid levels are to blame.

I know what it's like to have to clean up the mess, and although it gets on my nerves at times there is nothing you can do, and I feel so sorry for her, as she obviously feels quite ashamed.

We have a baby on the way too, in around 8/9 weeks- if the propalin/other drugs weren't working and her incontinence was as severe as your dog's then I think I would honestly have to make a terribly tough decision and pts. Its not nice to live with sporadically, let alone while heavily pregnant, or with a wee one in the house.

Your boxer is a beauty, and although still full of life, her body is clearly starting to give up on her a little bit. Personally I think it best to let them go while still in a good way, and before they loose all dignity. She looks like she has clearly had a wonderful life, and as you have said, re-homing would be cruel, as would kenneling (which also only means that you are moving the problem to a new area)

I wish you all the best in your decision, and hope that I am not in the same boat with Betty for a long time yet.

xx

Daytona

Visit site
Oh I thought she was doing it every day? Just an aside - there isn't any possibility she has picked up an urinary tract infection at all that has caused her to suddenly get worse and not respond to the drugs?

Just a thought (I imagine your vet has checked this). Just I know at one point our dog went through a stage of being suddenly worse and he was treated with some antibiotics which cleared it up and he regained some control. I still think having her PTS is not the wrong decision. I think it just makes it harder (for us humans) when outwardly the dog seems happy.

Yes she does get infections a lot and is currently on Anti B unfortunately it's not the reason for her worsening, it's been happening slowly over past 6 months with really becoming a issue last 6 weeks maybe

My husband away till mid march, then home for 1 month so won't look to consider a date untill towards the end of his hitch home, mid April.

I'm doing a calendar to see how many dry days we have, for next few weeks to show the vet to see if he thinks there could be a reason but it's just a tiny bit of hope, he has already explained that the most likely cause is the bladder muscle just totally failing. So I'd say come mid April , steffi will be PTS in her sheepskin donut bed in the living room at home, her favorite place to hangout

Her little "happy place" :)

Zero00000

Visit site
We dragged cashmere through it for 6 years, she would 'get better' then worsen, her back legs started to go, but there was always a reason not to let her go, eventually I had to suck it up and have her done as I had a young baby crawling around, She was a family pet, I was 1 when mum got her, it was so heartbreaking.

Good luck OP, an Owners final act of love is making a very selfless decision for the sake of their loved pet xx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My heart breaks for you, Daytona, but I'm on the PTS side along with others. I did it for my old cat when he was incontinent and had the onset of the equivalent of dementia. He was ok otherwise, eating fine etc, but emaciated regardless of intake. It's just a horrible decision, especially when the pet is relatively healthy. Big hugs to you.

EAST KENT

Visit site
You`d think would`nt you that with this known result of spaying a little lateral thinking would happen.Such as tube tying/sealing as in humans?

Fides

Visit site
if it smells like rotten fish then it sounds like a protozoan infection rather than a bacterial infection so it wouldn't show up on cultures. ask the vet to ask for wet slide microscopy looking for trichomonas. I worked as a microbiologist for 10 years...

PFM22

Visit site
If it's any consolation, I would PTS without a second thought - I had my boxer PTS last October - he was young by comparison, rising 8. He was a rescue who had been beaten and starved for the first year of his life and had since had 6.5 wonderful and happy years with me. But he started to have lameness issues which medication didn't improve, the odd small lumps were appearing and although he was otherwise perfectly happy and healthy, I decided that while he was still happy, he would go with his dignity fully intact. It would only have been a matter of time before things deteriorated and I figured he owed me nothing. He had been the best dog I could have ever wished for and being allowed to deteriorate before anything was done would have been as paoinful (both mentally and physically) for him as it was for me.
It must be just as upsetting for your girl as it is for you, finding her urine-drenched every morning - I know how hard it is to make that call but from the situation you describe, I am totally with you in your thoughts that it is fairer to PTS. Good Luck with whatever you decide - I feel for you enormously. You know your dog - just do what you feel is best for her.