Would you PTS?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you. The owner of the other horse that gets footy after it rains, has asked me to keep him in the sand too for a couple of days after the rain, so at least there will be two of them on the same routine. Twice as much work and expense for me, but best for the horses. We are due for heavy rain tonight so that means today will be the last day out on the grass for the both of them until at least Monday.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Woud definatly keep her going as she is, she sounds very content to me. As to the danilon, well I take a lot more medication than that every day and I'm cetainly not ready to be PTS!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm pleased to say my mare is doing really well. I had a scare yesterday when I went out for an hour and came back to find her with her muzzle off and eating grass like there was no tomorrow. Luckily she is okay and sound this morning without her boots. I kept her and her companion in the sand Saturday and Sunday due to the heavy rain, and she was pleased to go out on the grass yesterday. I have also put her onto chaste berry (Angus Cactus) so I wonder if that is having a good effect too. Someone commented to me yesterday that she looked the best on the yard in terms of muscle, condition and shine. I think so too, but then I'm biased!

Alphamare

Visit site
It's great that you have found a successful way of managing her and that you don't need to have her pts in her current regime. Long may she continue to feel and look well

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She is still doing really well and is now down to half a danilon a day and is barefoot without her boots with no sign of footiness. I am even thinking of riding her soon if she can be comfortable without danilon. I don't want to ride her on danilon in case it is covering up something, but I have no worries about keeping her on it if it turns out I can't ride her. The only major change I have made is adding chaste berry to her diet. Could that have such a profound effect?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
She is still doing really well and is now down to half a danilon a day and is barefoot without her boots with no sign of footiness. I am even thinking of riding her soon if she can be comfortable without danilon. I don't want to ride her on danilon in case it is covering up something, but I have no worries about keeping her on it if it turns out I can't ride her. The only major change I have made is adding chaste berry to her diet. Could that have such a profound effect?

Yes I believe so. There was a great letter to the last but one BHS news about Chaste Berry and proof via blood tests that it was at least as effective as Pergolide. Had I PM'd you about it? The pony that was tested returned to 'normal' on Chaste Berry - I think it's amazing. I feed it to my chronic laminitic suspected cushings pony.

pines of rome

Visit site
So pleased to read this, I am happy for you! it just goes to show how things can change!
My boy is very badly lame atm and I hope we are not looking at a possible pts? I am just praying now that he will improve!:(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes I believe so. There was a great letter to the last but one BHS news about Chaste Berry and proof via blood tests that it was at least as effective as Pergolide. Had I PM'd you about it? The pony that was tested returned to 'normal' on Chaste Berry - I think it's amazing. I feed it to my chronic laminitic suspected cushings pony.

Yes, it was you who put me onto it. Thanks. :) I didn't expect it to have an effect though because she had been blood tested as being well within normal range and so it seemed her Cushings was being controlled by pergolide (prascend). I had read about chaste berry having a good effect on Cushings horses and ponies, but not on those whose levels were already being controlled by prascend. I am wondering whether her laminitis cold be hormone related and that was maybe why the chaste berry had such an effect? After all,it is used on riggy geldings and hormonal mares.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
So pleased to read this, I am happy for you! it just goes to show how things can change!
My boy is very badly lame atm and I hope we are not looking at a possible pts? I am just praying now that he will improve!:(

Oh no, I hope not. Fingers crossed he makes a good recovery. My mare overcame so much before the dreaded laminitis got her. Vets had written her off nearly four years ago after an accident in the field. They said it was unlikely she would even be field sound. But she proved them wrong. I mustn't get my hopes too high though as I have been here several times before. But what I am saying is don't give up on your boy too soon. I'm sure that you won't, but it is such a difficult balance to strike between giving up too soon and letting them suffer too long.

ETA: Just read your post regarding what is wrong with him. I have had two horses with broken pedal bones. Both made full recoveries with no complications. If you are worried about laminitis in the supporting foot then you could use boots with Styrofoam pads to put on him for most of the time, so long as he gets a few hours break from them (at least two) every day.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Just read the whole thread. At the start I was in the yes camp looking at it completely objectively, but I know that faced with the reality of making that decision I doubt I'd be quite so brave, so I'm so pleased she's doing well now.

I know I'll face this decision in the next few years. My 17 year old has very large melanomas in his sheath. At the moment they don't cause him any trouble, he's happy fit and otherwise healthy. They will prevent him weeing comfortably sooner or later though. He could have a re-section (major surgery, that will see him weeing from the back like a mare) but I've always told myself I won't put him through it especially if he's 20+ when the time comes. Whether I'll be that brave though I really don't know. It's now complicated by the fact that localised chemo is being trialled, so it could be a viable and effective option by the time he needs it. He'd still need the majority removed with surgery, then chemo, so again do I put him through that and potential side effects? It's all so confusing as well as bloody horrible!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Just read the whole thread. At the start I was in the yes camp looking at it completely objectively, but I know that faced with the reality of making that decision I doubt I'd be quite so brave, so I'm so pleased she's doing well now.

I know I'll face this decision in the next few years. My 17 year old has very large melanomas in his sheath. At the moment they don't cause him any trouble, he's happy fit and otherwise healthy. They will prevent him weeing comfortably sooner or later though. He could have a re-section (major surgery, that will see him weeing from the back like a mare) but I've always told myself I won't put him through it especially if he's 20+ when the time comes. Whether I'll be that brave though I really don't know. It's now complicated by the fact that localised chemo is being trialled, so it could be a viable and effective option by the time he needs it. He'd still need the majority removed with surgery, then chemo, so again do I put him through that and potential side effects? It's all so confusing as well as bloody horrible!

What a dilemma for you. I think, for me, it would depend how stoic he was and how he reacted to box rest. If he's the kind to get stressed at the slightest bit of discomfort, or he didn't take to confinement, then I would probably PTS.

There are several people on here whose geldings have had the op and they have coped remarkably well. But if you decide to PTS, you will know it is the best thing for him and that he has had a relatively long life, and you have been kind to him.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Yes, it was you who put me onto it. Thanks. :) I didn't expect it to have an effect though because she had been blood tested as being well within normal range and so it seemed her Cushings was being controlled by pergolide (prascend). I had read about chaste berry having a good effect on Cushings horses and ponies, but not on those whose levels were already being controlled by prascend. I am wondering whether her laminitis cold be hormone related and that was maybe why the chaste berry had such an effect? After all,it is used on riggy geldings and hormonal mares.

It's fab news - very exciting for you. I am very pleased and hope she continues. I just wish I had tried it on my mare :-(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Here she is today. I couldn't get her with the sun fully out to show how gleaming she is though:

30thaug20131.jpg

30thaug20132.jpg

30thaug20133.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's fab news - very exciting for you. I am very pleased and hope she continues. I just wish I had tried it on my mare :-(

Yes, who knows? It may have worked. But you know yours was stress induced laminitis which may have not reacted the same way. You had to put your mare to sleep on vet's recommendation. They don't often recommend it and so she must have been really bad, bless her.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Had not read all the post :eek:

So glad to see lovely happy horse :)

Well done

I really can't believe, looking at her this week, how close I came to PTS. She really is a happy horse and has been on the grass every day. Even got her grazing muzzle off for a couple of hours yesterday.

mulledwhine

Visit site
Could you could stop the track at either side of the trough, allowing the other horses access and have a large container for your mare? My track isn't continuous around the field to keep her away from the fence besides the public footpath where passers by feed her and it still works very well, she gallops around it every evening for her feed.

You may have to do what I have to do anyway :)

Water roller and buckets :)

Sorry this is late , and again well done :)

christine48

Visit site
Having been through exactly the same situation with my horse of a lifetime, I did what I thought was the kindest thing for her. She was PTS in the paddock after a lovely morning in the field. I couldn't bring myself to condemn her to a life of dieting, restricted turnout and possible pain.

flirtygerty

Visit site
So sorry this decision needs to be faced, our arthritic 20 yr old is on her last summer, as she is struggling to cope with our slopes, she is now allowed as many sugary treats as she wants, gets pampered daily and will be quietly pts knowing she is much loved, a hard decision to make, but the right one, it's the last kindness I can do for her. Good luck