Would you put a horse with colic through surgery?

Would you take a colic to surgery?

• Total voters

eggs

Visit site
If it was an old horse then no but I have had two 3 year olds have colic surgery. One was pts in recovery but the other sailed through and had an excellent recovery and is nw out BE eventing.

Lego

Visit site
I put maybe...

Something I keep thinking about but perhaps I should read up on it more so that if it ever happened, I would know more about it rather than just having to go purely on vet advice...

If I could get transport, and he would be ok to travel to the equine hospital, and there was a very good chance of surgical success, then I would be more inclined to risk the GA and recovery... Mine is very even tempered, so once home, recovery would be ok in theory.

However, I always say, and hope I would stick to, that I wouldn't go for any surgery, colic or otherwise, that would involve long box rest for recovery and/or unlikely to return to current 'quality of life', as I think that this would be unfair to the horse. Have heard stories of 6-9months on complete boxrest...

Difficult decision to make though when it comes to it I imagine.

MochaDun

Visit site
A young horse possibly yes but even then it would be dependent on the cirumstances otherwise anything else no. My pony lives to graze and just be himself - a pony (he's ridden, not a pet!) - but that's how I'd like to remember him, not being transported while drugged for pain and then touch and go surgery plus weeks of recovery.

Shantara

Visit site
I don't know. Ned doesn't stable well, but there and he jumped out of all but one pen/field.
If I felt that he could pull through, 100% yes. If I thought he would die, then no.

My old pony who was 30+ at the time had colic and pulled through, but then a fit, healthy TB I knew didn't and was put straight to sleep, it was clear it was not going to end well.

Ned is one tough cookie, I think he could make it!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
It really does depend on the horse. My event horse had surgery at the age of 10 (covered by insurance), sailed through it and recovered well, he is now 18. Admitedly he has had further colic attacks which have not required surgery, it appears that careful management of his diet is required! Second surgery is not an option.

Another had been on box rest for a fractured splint bone, box rest was not agreeing with him at all and he became quite miserable then developed colic. For him I opted not to go down the surgical route and had him pts, there was no way he would have coped with the box rest and most likely would not have survived surgery anyway as we suspect there were other problems too.

For my current competition horses I would probably say yes, but again it would depend on individual circumstances and careful consideration with the vet. I no longer insure so am at complete liberty to make what the vet and I consider the correct decision for the horse in question. That decision would not be based on finances but the welfare of the horse.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
No, unless ther was 100% guarantee of ful recovery to a useful life. This would only be considered for me with a fairly young horse (less than ten), my oldie if he coliced tomorrow Id be saying my goodbyes tomorrow, i wouldnt put him through it :(

Having seen horses have colic surgery, recover only to have another bout, more pain and facing more surgery then no.

If there was a chance of full recovery and no re-occurrence then POSSIBLY but ill see summat pink and oinking fly past the window tomorrow before that would be the case.

haras

Visit site
I probably would, but it would depend.

I put my mare through colic surgery 2 years ago when she was in foal. she had 3 foot of gut resected, as she'd swallowed a small length of wire and had badly damaged her gut. Both mare and foal survived and (touch wood) mare has been fine since, although I am careful about what she is fed, and I don't think her immune system is as good as it once was.

I like others, wouldn't put her through a second surgery, as if she colics again to that degree, then I think its her bowel saying enough is enough.

My two youngsters, then yes, I'd put them through surgery.

MileAMinute

Visit site
It depends. My lad is only rising 4 so I would consider it knowing he had age and good health on his side.

I also, however, trust my vet implicitly and would follow his advice. I know he's not there to make a quick buck (always knocks treatments off my call out bills and has always appeared to be in the job for the animals, unlike some I've come across!). If he said it wouldn't be worth it, I'd more than likely agree with him and treat appropriately.

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
Having lost my boy at the age of 24 to colic, no I would'nt put him through the op, his body had gone into complete shock and vet did'nt think he would make it anyway, but depends on the horse overall !

Zerotolerance

Visit site
My "horse of a lifetime" had colic surgery 6 years ago at the age of 19 - lipoma, 3m small intestine + ileum removed, resection. Totally unfazed by the whole process, actually gained 16kg in weight while in hospital. Recovered well and carried on competing. He'd never had colic before then and not since...until 2 months ago when he colicked again.
Vet came out, big decision to make - should we go for it again at the age of 25? Vet encouraging us to give him a chance. We decided to head for the hospital (different one to first tine as we'd moved) and see. He dragged us up the ramp as if he knew where he was going. Luckily hospital only about 30 mins away. Had surgery, lipoma had grown back, luckily as they removed it the strangled piece of intestine sprang back ino life, so no resection this time. He recovered well from op and was going to come home after just 5 days when he suddenly got a massive joint infection in his hock! Still don't really know how this happened.
He had 2 further full anaesthetics- one for a full on joint flush, then another 2 days later for an arthroscopy and more scraping infection out of the joint. Plus about 7 standing joint flushes. Thank goodness he is sensible after the anaesthetics- stays laying down in the recovery room for 2-3 hours and will not attempt to get up until he's good and ready! They managed to grow a culture from the infection and it was a bacteria called aeromonas which had never been found in a horse before - usually in fish from stagnant water!

Anyway, he ended up being there for 3 weeks. He came home a month ago and because he is sensible is allowed out into small paddock during the day. His hock is still big, don't think it will ever return to totally normal size. But, he's still with us and is his usual chirpy self.
I think it's all about knowing your horse and taking into consideration the costs, have you the time for the aftercare etc. While we were in the hospital they had several colic surgeries and they all made it bar one who tragically broke a leg coming round from anaesthetic.
Despite the hock trauma, it was still the right decision for us and this horse to have the surgery.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Really depends on the age and condition of the animal. I know someone who spent £6K on colic surgery (uninsured as it was not the first time) on a field ornament. This field ornament was also a very stroppy large animal who hated being stabled!

Burmilla

Visit site
Dependent on horse and vet advice and opinion. Trust vet implicitly. Old boy ( when he was alive) absolutely not. Age, temperament not conducive to good outcome. Current horse, dependent on vet advice, yes, once only though. He's calm, kind and doesn't stress on box rest.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I voted maybe, because I HAVE done it. Sadly, though the op itself was a success, my big lad was unable to use his hindlegs afterwards (due to his exceptionally heavy weight being on his back so long) and he had to be PTS. It was heartbreaking. If I had an otherwise, young, strong and fit horse, then I would put it through the surgery. However, I would not put either of my current two through the surgery as they have too many other things to contend with. My gelding has had an operation on his hock, and kissing spines operation, and I think therefore he has had enough poking and prodding. My mare has suffered a massive career ending shoulder injury 3 years ago which she has come back from and can now do light work, but she also has cushings and has suffered several bouts of lami. She is 18. I cannot guarantee, that in the spur of the moment, when I could not bear to lose her, I would not put her through colic surgery, but thinking with my head and not my heart, it would not be the right thing to do I don't think. I just hope I am never faced with the decision again.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My "horse of a lifetime" had colic surgery 6 years ago at the age of 19 - lipoma, 3m small intestine + ileum removed, resection. Totally unfazed by the whole process, actually gained 16kg in weight while in hospital. Recovered well and carried on competing. He'd never had colic before then and not since...until 2 months ago when he colicked again.
Vet came out, big decision to make - should we go for it again at the age of 25? Vet encouraging us to give him a chance. We decided to head for the hospital (different one to first tine as we'd moved) and see. He dragged us up the ramp as if he knew where he was going. Luckily hospital only about 30 mins away. Had surgery, lipoma had grown back, luckily as they removed it the strangled piece of intestine sprang back ino life, so no resection this time. He recovered well from op and was going to come home after just 5 days when he suddenly got a massive joint infection in his hock! Still don't really know how this happened.
He had 2 further full anaesthetics- one for a full on joint flush, then another 2 days later for an arthroscopy and more scraping infection out of the joint. Plus about 7 standing joint flushes. Thank goodness he is sensible after the anaesthetics- stays laying down in the recovery room for 2-3 hours and will not attempt to get up until he's good and ready! They managed to grow a culture from the infection and it was a bacteria called aeromonas which had never been found in a horse before - usually in fish from stagnant water!

Anyway, he ended up being there for 3 weeks. He came home a month ago and because he is sensible is allowed out into small paddock during the day. His hock is still big, don't think it will ever return to totally normal size. But, he's still with us and is his usual chirpy self.
I think it's all about knowing your horse and taking into consideration the costs, have you the time for the aftercare etc. While we were in the hospital they had several colic surgeries and they all made it bar one who tragically broke a leg coming round from anaesthetic.
Despite the hock trauma, it was still the right decision for us and this horse to have the surgery.

Blimey! What a tough boy he is!

noodle_

Visit site
with my previous horse - definately not......... she wouldnt stable and stabling alone would mean her being pts....

current pony - probably yes i would (i always said id never do colic surgery too...)!... its totally different as shes younger, and has prospects...

so im in the mabey camp :)

chrissie1

Visit site
We said to operate on a healthy young (4) mare, possibly one of the best we ever bred. We were reluctant in many ways because we didn't think she'd have taken well to the long rehab/boxrest, but with her being so young and although I hate to say it - fully insured - we said yes.

We did say no second operation because it seems to me that a fair % do it again, she did within hours of them finishing surgery, she was pts. It nearly finished us to see her in such pain at the vets, and I can still cry now at the sight of her being led away to theatre.

When we went away in October I left specific written instructions that if colic surgery was the only option othr than pts, then the horse was to be pts.

I also rang the vets to be sure that was on record, and explained why, the person I spoke to said she was in complete agreement with that decision as they often do it again with a bad outcome, and she should know.

cptrayes

Visit site
Definitely not. The number of horses which are still alive a year later is far too small for me to put a horse through it. Many of them are "saved" at the time only to go through months of problems and more pain and then be put down anyway.

I know of several that have had it done and competed again. But for me, they are very much the minority and I would not have it done to one of mine.

floradora09

Visit site
Interesting replies, especially about colic being a symptom. Does anyone actually know what causes the gut to twist? I guess perhaps if it's full of gas from a blockage or something and then they roll?

They seem to advertise surgery as having an 80% success rate if I heard correctly on the TV, which sounded good, but then you don't actually hear about what happens in the next 12 months or so (like the mare on RH).

PMP I will have a read :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I did some research and the success rate for lipoma removal is reasonably good, but for other colics it was, as I recall, well under 50% at a year from the operation with many horses having had a totally miserable time before someone finally called it a day. I'll try and find it again.

Theocat

Visit site
I did some research and the success rate for lipoma removal is reasonably good, but for other colics it was, as I recall, well under 50% at a year from the operation with many horses having had a totally miserable time before someone finally called it a day. I'll try and find it again.

I'd be interested in seeing some research - I've also heard such bad figures for recovery / survival that I would be very, very wary of surgery - the yard has instructions not to put him through it if it's necessary and I can't be contacted, although if I was there I'm sure I'd weigh it up if the time ever came.

cptrayes

Visit site
I've only found fairly old stuff so far, and the recovery rates are much better recently. But recent studies I can only find "survived surgery" rates and thats very far from the full story, unfortunately.

Any vets on here point me to more recent figures on survival rates?

ebonyallen

Visit site
I would have to have a very serious chat to the vet to see what they thought was the best option, my girl will be 19 next year so she is not a youngster, she is the love of my life but I would always have to put what was in her best interest first. We lost dear Herman from our yard in Aug, after he underwent emergency surgery and he had to be put to sleep two weeks later after other complications and now that does play on my mind. Would I put her through all that to loose her later, its one of those we all think we know what we would do but being faced with the situation is a very different thing.

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Have been watching Rolf Harris' programme with interest, and the surgery for colic actually appeared much more straightforward than I thought it would be (maybe the case was more simple than usual, I've heard of them having to remove parts of gut before?). Would you put a horse with colic though surgery, if not why not? Does the risk of a GA play a significant part in the decision or is it more about the procedure and recovery?
My horse had his operation on the day I was due to pay for him. I bought him anyway after his recovery. He recovered very well and nearly 13 years on he's still fit and healthy. He's had no colic problems since because we know what caused the original colic and take care that the same mistakes aren't allowed to recur.

After the operation he was on Leahurst's colic survival study for 7 years and during that time hunted for three seasons and went on working livery for 18 months when I was ill. I suspect he may have skewed the findings somewhat!

He's 20 now but doesn't show it and Leahurst's surgery was so good that unless you know where it is you can't find the scar (and it was a lot longer than the televised incision).

I think you can only be advised by your vet in the horse's best interests.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
For me it would depend on so many factors - age, type of colic, vet advice etc.

My two have both had colic surgery - one in 2007 and one in 2010 - for very unusual conditions (non-strangulating infarction of the small bowel, and one with Idiopathic Focal Eosinophilic Enteritis (IFEE).

They are both still with me, and doing fine.

I would strongly suggest that the important thing is to decide now whether you will or won't - as the sooner you get a horse to surgery, the better its chances of recovering.

And here's a useful website with some facts/figures for y'all. :D

http://www.liv.ac.uk/equinecolic/

S :D