Would you rather...

Elsiecat

Visit site
1 acre I think. She's fat and can be quite bossy and I dread to think what type of conga line she'd have 8 horses doing!

WetandMuddy

Visit site
Funnily enough, mine out with one other on about one acre.

I would love to have him out with eleven others on eight acres. However, as said, being a native I would really worry about his weight.

His companion is a cob,so also has to watch his weight. It works for us, although he would probably prefer a large herd.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
1 acre. Another weight watcher here, plus he can be a knobber to catch sometimes and 8 acres is a hell of a lot of walking for me! :eek:

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Haha elsiecat I've got an image of foxy trotting around the field doing the conga now- forelegs waving in the air! :D

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I like to see my horses in a large good in a nice big field.

But after 12 years of serious injuries. Ripped rugs etc. I am moving to a different yard with smaller groups in smaller field.

It can work. But bring livery you won't ever get a perfect herd.
If you got to pick and choose who joined the herd according to how they get on then its likely to work most of the time. But even then you will still get occasional problems, the same as if your horse was out alone!

Archiepoo

Visit site
i would rather one other on an acre -too many accidents happen in large herds.-makes me very nervous,my horse doesnt like being out much anyway ,after an hour hes ready to come back in!:)

Littlelegs

Visit site
11 acres. Even for a good doer, its not that much more land per horse, but they'd have to do an awful lot more roaming & therefore exercise. Mine also is a true lead mare, & in 22yrs has never had any issues, no matter what groups she's been turned out with, even with horses who were known to be a pita. And she'd look after the other in any herd situation.