Would you ride with this injury?

Peglo

Visit site
A friend of mine was in a car crash and was thought to have whiplash. They didn’t X-ray at the time and she was sent away. I can’t remember the ins and outs but months later she got an X-ray on her neck and it turned out there was damage and she could’ve paralysed herself as she had been getting massages and doing physio that could’ve done serious damage to her injury. She was very lucky.

so I agree. Take it easy until you get your X-ray. Hope you have a speedy recovery and hope your not too sore.

mini_b

Visit site
Gonna stick my ten pence in here as well. I’m fairly gung ho and not particularly careful when looking after myself but I 100% wouldn’t ride with a dodgy neck.
Hope you get it sorted soon!

Cob Life

Visit site
I rode with a broken wrist and with a partially torn lcl (no stirrups) but i won’t ride with a head or neck injury since I did so with a concussion and fell off again because o wasn’t balanced and made it worse

Winters100

Visit site
100% no. For the sake of a couple of weeks off you could be risking not riding, or maybe even walking, again. We all know that accidents can happen on the safest pony and in the safest circumstances. It is not worth it.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A friend of mine was in a car crash and was thought to have whiplash. They didn’t X-ray at the time and she was sent away. I can’t remember the ins and outs but months later she got an X-ray on her neck and it turned out there was damage and she could’ve paralysed herself as she had been getting massages and doing physio that could’ve done serious damage to her injury. She was very lucky.

so I agree. Take it easy until you get your X-ray. Hope you have a speedy recovery and hope your not too sore.

Gosh she was lucky. I'm desperate for physio but I know they won't see me without a clean xray.

I'm going to be sensible for once in my life and take it easy!

little_critter

Visit site
I'm currently recovering from a neck fracture (C1) and I have been told to avoid riding (along with running, contact sports, yoga... it's quite a long list!). I'm also in a hard collar 24/7. I would err on the side of caution and avoid riding until you have confirmation that your neck is not fractured. FWIW my injury was not particularly painful - my neck felt a bit "crunchy" when I tried to move immediately afterwards and then I had a dizzy spell with blurred vision about 30 minutes later. I walked into A&E in a homemade neck brace slightly worried that I might be wasting their time - however, they took it v seriously and had me strapped to a backboard and into CT quickly.
That’s interesting, years ago I fell off and literally landed head first (on the crown of my head) then flipped onto my back. It scared the c**p out of my instructor but I felt pretty much ok.
I noticed some distorted peripheral vision as I drove home so popped into minor injuries who where wholly unconcerned and sent me home with a concussion fact sheet. For some time after I did that, my neck felt a bit ‘crunchy’ at times when I moved it. I always wondered if I did anything serious but had got away with it.

Jumoro

Visit site
That’s interesting, years ago I fell off and literally landed head first (on the crown of my head) then flipped onto my back. It scared the c**p out of my instructor but I felt pretty much ok.
I noticed some distorted peripheral vision as I drove home so popped into minor injuries who where wholly unconcerned and sent me home with a concussion fact sheet. For some time after I did that, my neck felt a bit ‘crunchy’ at times when I moved it. I always wondered if I did anything serious but had got away with it.

That sounds very similar - tbh I fully expected to be told it was a soft tissue injury as it really wasn't that painful. The L2 fracture came as a complete surprise - if I hadn't been worried about my neck then I wouldn't have presented at A&E & it would have wouldn't have been found. It does make me wonder how many of us have collected undiagnosed fractures & injuries over the years - I think as riders we tend to be quite stoic.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
A suspected fracture on your neck isn't something that can wait a couple of weeks.
Get yourself to an A&E and get it x-rayed /scanned. And no you definitely shouldn't ride.
As you've been dizzy and have collapsed, there could be some abnormal movement in your spine which means that any further jolt to it and you're in a wheelchair.
Get it looked at now. Please.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A suspected fracture on your neck isn't something that can wait a couple of weeks.
Get yourself to an A&E and get it x-rayed /scanned. And no you definitely shouldn't ride.
As you've been dizzy and have collapsed, there could be some abnormal movement in your spine which means that any further jolt to it and you're in a wheelchair.
Get it looked at now. Please.

Honestly SP, the doc is just being thorough. He suspects it's a bad case of whiplash or a pinched nerve. Plus the physio won't touch me unless I have a lean xray.

But trust me, if I end up feeling like I've downed several bottles of wine again I'll be straight to A&E!

I did call 111 when it happened the first time and they said a Dr would call back in 20 minutes....I'm still waiting.. ? So I saw a GP the next day.

Lamehorses

Visit site
Don't want to scare you, but after a very minor fall I had a bit of neck discomfort, felt a bit dizzy & slightly blurry vision.
3 hours later I was dragged reluctantly to A&E by my husband.
So grateful I was as whilst waiting to be seen I had a stroke, I'd apparently dissected my carotid artery falling off, which caused a clot...
Don't dismiss any further symptoms, especially especially if you collapse / blurry vision etc