Would you scope?

Chippers1

Visit site
Just after a few opinions really as I just want to check before I call the vet but I'm wondering whether I should be scoping for ulcers?

This has come about after my lesson at the weekend where Buzz refused every jump (although he did warm up ok and did jump most of them on second attempt, plus I didn't ride well) and he has been intermittently refusing whilst jumping at home. One day was particularly bad but I put this down to being tired after an arena hire the day before, as I jumped him a week or so later and he flew around like he normally does. He often will refuse if they get a bit higher but I'm also not sure if that's just me being nervous when they go up. I will add he does every so often refuse anyway but it feels like it's more than normal at the moment.

He's always been girthy as long as I've had him so I can't comment from that angle (and I've investigated everything aside from ulcers, he stops being girthy if he has a haynet...)

However when I went to check on him today he was not happy about me touching his belly on his left and pawed at the ground when I touched his girth area. He was happier with me touching his right side.

Aside from these two things there's not much else to go on really, he lives out 24/7 with plenty of grass and hay, he's overweight, he gets ridden most days (weather dependent!) But it's light work really. He still schools well and his flat work hasn't changed. He's now in charge of the field so isn't being bullied or anything. He can be a bit stressy to hack alone but I don't do it often because of this.

The last 'stressful' event I can think of is when he had a weeks' box rest in April, he hated being in and didn't eat much but this summer has been one of his best performance wise.

Bit of a head scratcher and it was behaviour today that prompted me to post. Any thoughts?
Just paid a huge car bill after my horsebox bill so dreading another huge bill but obviously happy to pay to get him fixed up! I just don't want to scope unnecessarily but I'm not sure. I could also do a performance work up if not this.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm Dun

Visit site
Id go for a performance workup. Ulcers nearly always have pain at the route, so if you dont sort that then they will just come back. Another option is a course of Nexium. It costs £30 for a months worth and is backed by decent peer reviewed research, so it works. If that makes a difference then its a strong indication that you have ulcer issues.

Chippers1

Visit site
Yes I'm thinking more towards performance workup now, I'm not even sure where to start!
I've read that ulcers can show as a pot belly, he does look rather fat at the moment..
Interesting about the Nexium, what type would you get/dosage would it be?

I'm Dun

Visit site
I used an non branded version and gave 80mgs a day, working on the basis that he might chew some up. The papers are all online with the doses on if you are interrested.