Would you sell your horse?

TicTac

Visit site
This is not something I am considering but would just like to know the general sensus of opinion..........I have only had my mare for a couple of months after sadly loosing my horse of a lifetime. I keep her stabled at a private house. The lady who owns the place has daughters who used to show jump big time. Lots of money, best horses but absolutely no care for them in any way, only as jumping machines. The girls lost interest but not before finishing horses off by riding around village strapped down with draw reins, fags in mouth, no hats....you get the jist. Horses were sold and stables became empty and then up for rent. I move in.

2 years down the line girls are now into partying and drugs....mother came out to chat to me today ( she always has an ulterior motiv) while I was lunging my mare and asked if I would sell my horse as oldest daughter wants her. She offered me lots of money. Far more than she is really worth but I said no. I certainly could do with the money and to be honest I haven't really had the horse long enough to have formed a strong bond with her as yet but one thing I do know is that I could never knowingly sell her on to somebody I knew would not look after her no matter how much they offered!

Boodle

Visit site
None of my current four will ever be for sale. No one would buy them anyway!

My sister sold one, but had no choice and he went to the best home possible.

Like you, if I were to sell one, the horse would never knowingly go into hands that I knew would not be kind and loving.

fireflyuk

New User
Visit site
Definately not. I was in a similar position. I kept my horses at an ex dealers yard and they were the only ones there. I was given a rescued horse (mare) a couple of months ago which he wanted to buy because he could/wanted to breed from her. Unfortunately this offer was made just after he heard I had just had to put another horse to sleep. His comments when he heard about the vets bills for various treatments were "she wasn't worth it" ....... I would have paid anything to save this horse and she WAS worth it to me!! He's just bought his two year old (spoilt rotten) daughter a shetland pony "so she can pull her around instead of the dog"!!

louise4208

Visit site
I've had my horse for 15 years, he is now 30 and I could never part with him. I got 2 ponies as companions, I've only had them for 4 months and I'm already totally attached to them! Think they will be with me for life as well.

lucie1984

Visit site
Nope i wouldnt...I had to sell my mare a few years ago the choice was keep my old girl i had since i was 9 or sell my other horse. I thought i had found her a good home but now 6 years down the line i regret this massively as i miss her so much! (maybe thats as i have lost Rosie my old girl) Now i wish i could turn back the clocks and have her back!
After what you have said about these girls they will not treat your girl right and i would stay well away!

Faithkat

Visit site
YES, WB yearling was bred to sell (see my webshots thingy) . . . . but I am getting to the stage that I don't want her to go until she's 4 as I don't want her spoiled by being started too early. BUT, I would definitely not sell if I was in your position (well, not to them anyway

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
No. Never.

I believe only outgrown childrens ponies should be sold, or if people hit very hard financial times. Other than that, I believe that they are a for life commitment, I wouldnt sell my child or my dog, so I wouldnt sell my horse.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd sell Thumper in a heartbeat if someone offered me the right money.

However, I wouldn't sell to any old tom, dick or harry....

ihatework

Visit site
I'd sell my 4yo iron grey TB/ID gelding in a flash if I was offered the right money and it was the right home ..... any takers?!

My other horse is with me for life though

Sparklet

Visit site
Yes I would sell my horse but not to someone like those you describe. My old dressage horse went on to have a new life as a hack because she was struggling with what I wanted her to do......I think horses go through several career changes before they retire and I saw no logic in keeping an unsuitable horse who would be entirely suitable for someone else. She's happy, I'm happy, the new owner is happy and my new horse is happy.

I personally dont think a horse is for a lifetime.

jellyshake

Visit site
i'd sell my daughters pony to the pikeys if they turned up tomorrow pmsl but thats cos he's a little escape artist, the rest have to put up with me for life!!