Would you stop?

WOULD YOU STOP

• Total voters

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Im vastly getting bored not being able to do anything with this broken arm. So I thought I would put a pole up to see if anyone else has this pet hate.

I will not stop on the road when adult or child asks me if they can pet the horse.

I feel:
  1. Its dangerous if the horse is an impatient one and fidgets swinging bum into cars
  2. There is a time and place for kids to stroke a horse, on the rd is not one of them.
  3. Awkward for passing cars to get round if horse wants to get moving on home etc.

Many people in the past have stop for requests.

How do fellow H&H members feel?

Lolo

Visit site
Depends on the horse, the road and the child... If the child is sensible looking and has a parent, the horse is settled and good with children and happy to stand and the road is clear with a place to stand out of the way of anything then yes, we're happy for them to pat the horse.

Charlie007

Visit site
I have stopped a few times but only if safe. I have also stopped at the pub so a family from a city could stroke him!! As long as it's safe to stop i feel it helps the relationship between riders and the public. I always ask the kids to approach quietly and to stroke his shoulder. Never had any problems and the kids love it!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I did don't know , if it was a safe place and it was fatty or J I would stop not Tatts he would not like it not the new as I don't know him.
Fatty often holds court outside the local pub on Sundays in summer he loves it and so do the kids .

Caol Ila

Visit site
I completely agree with all of the above, Leviathan, and we ride past a lot of kids in the wee village near the yard. I don't stop.

That's not entirely true. One time, I was feeling particularly charitable and the horse was in a particularly chilled out mood (which is more like most of the time so long as she's not in season, but I digress), so I did stop for some kids who wanted to pet her. I said to them, "You have to approach the horse slowly and quietly and pat her on the shoulder. Don't run or make loud noises around the horse." They did so. Then, about five seconds later, they got distracted by something else, forgot my instructions, squealed, and dashed *right* under her neck and across the road. Luckily she is sensible and doesn't mind that sort of thing. I thought, "YIKES! I am never stopping to let children pet her again!" And I haven't.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I always stop, although, obviously I wouldn't stop in a dangerous place. We regularly stop to chat to children, students and anyone else. If we go to the pub, the cob gives tots rides as well, though that's because he's such a kind boy. I wouldn't put a strange child on any other horse, but they all enjoy a fuss and the odd free apple.
I've even left some bikers holding my horse while I went into the pub to buy a round of drinks. If people show an interest, I welcome it and they love the experience of meeting a horse close up.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
When day light hours are getting shorter or I am restricted by time I do a short loop through a few housing estates. If they are polite in asking I will stop and let them stroke him. Horse usually enjoys the attention and the kids enjoy giving it. If he starts getting fidgity I politely just say I think he wants to go home now :)

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
Depends on the horse. With the spotty one, not a chance he's too impatient and I'd worry he'd trample them if he spooked, plus he'd be too rude being made to stand really. Oreo i have let some children stroke her as she's much more patient and less reactive, but only if i have time, it's safe and there's space to move out of the way of traffic.

I think it's a nice thing to do if you're able as not all kids have the opportunity to ever meet a horse and it can make a kids day. If it's safe and the horse is sensible why not let them have a quick pat, does no harm :)

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
If it is safe on a quiet road or off road I do, I think it's good for horses to learn to stand still whilst I am talking to people or have people patting them, good practice for the show ring. There aren't many horses around near me and we do ride round the local housing estates so get lots of people wanting pats or photos!

Zero00000

Visit site
On a busy road on my mare no, never, I tell them she's not very friendly, she is, but she's big and fidgety and can rear when she wants to go, so, no full stop.

Walking my little mare in hand, on a safer road, yes, she will happily stand and be petted.

My Gelding, probably, although never tried so dont know.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd stop on a quiet road, as mine are well mannered enough to stand and like a fuss. I've stopped in loads of places before - byways, forest tracks and very quiet roads. It's polite. If it was busy and we were holding up the traffic, obviously not. I didn't vote as there is no option for "it depends".

Pigeon

Visit site
Depends on the horse. We used to take the pony hacking in a park and were often asked to stop. He always stood like a rock, and so fine for kids to pat.

On the current horses probably not, they would fidget and probably step on said child.

Dunlin

Visit site
No way. Totally different situation to sticking an arm over the gate for a stroke. My reason for this is because years ago I was out hacking on a total dope on a rope and a toddler wanted to stroke my horse. So I got off hoss and gave the little boy a polo to feed him. As horse went down for the polo he blew which terrified said child who screamed that wonderful ear piercing toddler scream. Horse pulled me over and legged it all the way to the yard amazingly unscathed. Toddlers mother went absolutely mental at me for me allowing her child near a psychopathic murderous horse and issued all sorts of threats at me (thankfully empty). I'm sure it was one of those never to be repeated again freak events but it was enough to make me think never again.

Merlod

Visit site
Not any more, all of the few times i've stopped for older children/teenagers to stoke my sensible pony (I never stop when riding my nutjob one, but then he doesn't stop anyway) they then ask if they can now 'have a go' and when told a polite 'No, sorry' I get 'Whyyyy?'x100 and 'no one ever lets me have a go :('

p87

Visit site
I'm the same, I won't stop for them, it's not worth the risk and to be honest I just can't be bothered stopping when I'm working my horse - why should I?

I live in a small rural village so you can imagine this doesn't go down well on the school run!

I also hate drivers who are overtaking me from behind and drive alongside me cooing at the horse and asking loads of questions about them, it's so dangerous. There's one woman in particular who seems to follow me, yesterday for example she passed me three times! Three times I told her it was dangerous, three times I told her the car being so close was upsetting my horse, and three times I asked her to just continue past slowly.

Falls on deaf ears though.

Copperpot

Visit site
I stop as I know they will stand. I did once stop for some school kids outside Co-op when I was hacking past. As they were fussing my horse he knicked a bag of quavers out of one kids hand :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I do but then I live in a village and the horse I hack out is very patient and safe. I wouldn't stop if I felt it would endanger anyone. I have a driving pony who hates people with avengence - unfortunately he is a cute looking pony so inevitably people used to want to stroke him - I had to be harsh with that one as the poor pony hated it.
I remember back when I was a very young child and I always wanted to stroke any passing horse. I think it is good to encourage children to care about animals and where appropriate give them the opportunity to pet them.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Depends on the road. If there's somewhere I can pull off the road and it's safe to do so, then I will if I have time.

I do have to draw a line sometimes though. Spud is such a pretty dweeb he always has loads of children following him around like the pied piper whenever we go out, and it's worse if you're on your own with him. It was a real noticeable difference compared to taking H out - I was finding I had to add an extra 20 mins onto my hack lengths, just to get him through the village. Of course Spud relishes every one of his adoring public.

There was a little lass of 4yo who wanted to stroke Wolf when we met her in a car park. She was absolutely smitten and after giving him a big kiss she then turned to her mummy and said 'Mummy, can I have a pony?'. To whoever that mother was, I am so very sorry for sowing the seeds of a horse addiction that will probably stay with that little lass for a long long time ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I stop as I know they will stand. I did once stop for some school kids outside Co-op when I was hacking past. As they were fussing my horse he knicked a bag of quavers out of one kids hand :)

Oh this is totally something Fergs would do! Eat in his presence at your peril!

hayinamanger

Visit site
I wouldn't stop because something else could frighten the horse at that precise moment and the child/person could get knocked over and potentially hurt and then sue me. :/

Archangel

Visit site
I always stop (provided I am not in a tricky spot) - if anyone talks to my horses they veer off to see them anyway. I always warn the people that slobber might be involved.

Out hacking I met a blind chap and his wife, he asked if he could feel my horses face, horse was an arab and loved people, he put his chin on the chaps shoulder and nearly went to sleep.

Frosty89

Visit site
I would of with Benny as he was good as gold, and loved attention. But probably not with my youngster, she is far to flightily and hacking is still very new to her. I have only been asked once so far with her and I just politely said "she's a very young and newly broken horse so I want to keep her moving, sorry", they seemed happy enough and just smiled as I went past.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Where I hack every field is either filled with horses or sheep. If they are horsey kids they would'nt be interested in petting my horse and if they are sheep owning kids they really dont care about a horse riding past!

Other than that I dislike brats and would trample them rather than stop .. However Giz would be sensible and step round them :mad:

NellRosk

Visit site
I always stop if I can and sometimes if I see a cautious child with a parent I ask if they would like to stroke Roski, more often than not they say yes and you can really see them overcoming their fear. Saying that I wouldn't be happy letting a child stroke my youngster, she's very well behaved but I still don't fully trust her yet.