Would you 'take a punt' for £800?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Plenty of horses shown as youngsters at county level who end up as nothing more than bog standard riding horses, generally.

minesadouble

Visit site
Check out carefully whether it has a win or multiple wins at RWAS. If it has it is worth way more than that unless now blemished or MAJOR issues (especially if its a mare). County level winners are one thing Royal Welsh winners another, you are looking at classes of 30 plus of the big breeders best youngstock. What is the cob's registered name?

WelshD

Visit site
Not all good inhand ponies make good ridden ponies so its worth thoroughly checking that out. I would be asking why the pony didnt stay in showing - gelded (my assumption apologies if incorrect) and in a happy hacking home at age 6 woul make me wonder what happened between the showing and now, was he deemed unsuitable for breeding or continuing a showing career? does he get stressed by shows now? did the cribbing lead to lack of condition?

SOME (note not all!) cobs are pushed hard from weaning to get the pumped up examples that the show world expects and so by the time they are ready to be broken they have significant amounts of hard feed and hard work under their belts (note again I didnt say they are all like that)

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
Vet 5 stage without a doubt as tbh you dont' sound experienced enough to spot subtle lamenss.800 is not a lot fo a safe sound 6yr old.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
personally i wouldnt as i hate cribbing(my horse used to be really bad) i know the horse is young but if you are having a vetting i would get him blood tested to check for cushings. the reason is that once my horse was put on prascend she almost stopped cribbing completely. if she starts again i have her retested and without fail her levels are up and within a couple of weeks of the increased medication she is ok again. may just be my horse though...

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I would! He's not suspiciously cheap when you look at what else is out there at the moment, and from what you've said the owners are genuinely more concerned about finding a good home than price. And they've been honest about the cribbing. I'd probably go for a 2-stage vetting.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Vet 5 stage without a doubt as tbh you dont' sound experienced enough to spot subtle lamenss.800 is not a lot fo a safe sound 6yr old.

Thankyou for your vote of confidence, however the 2 stage checks for soundness anyway regardless of whether I would have spotted It or not so that would be covered.

I would be vetting 100%.

Snow steps

Visit site
I would say it is cheap due to cribbing. People won't touch cribbers so consider this if you want to sell on. Be aware that cribbing is a sign of ulcers which could mean there are other behaviour issues. If I was intending to sell on again one day I would be cautious. If I was having it for myself I would not be too worried.

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
I would certainly be having a good look at its feet! One reason youngsters that win in hand don't win under saddle is that they have been kept in 'show condition' and got laminitis. Vet should spot this but make sure whoever you use gets the hoof testers out!

SarahF

Visit site
Hi,
If she's in a stable with no company & no food maybe there is the issue.
Are you planning on turning it out or at least having hay available 24/7?

I recently learnt that a horses digestive system constantly produces acids regardless of whether there is food in the stomach, which is why ideally they need to be grazing on something most of the time. Also, the small somach empties quickly.
The acid on an empty stomach that can cause stomach issues.

By this logic, If they can munch (and pref move around at the same time) there should be no cribbing or ulcers?

Just a thought! :)

Kallibear

Visit site
£800 doesn't seem excessively cheap for a green as grass cob young cob who cribs. Registered welshes are ten a penny and doesn't mean she's quality enough to do well showing (loads of foals do well as a yearling but amount to nothing special).

If you want a good ridden horse then it's her personality and soundness that matters, and is fairly easy to asses.
If showing is important then get someone really experienced with showing welshes to give you an opinion.

If it helps, I 'took a punt' with an unhandled youngster of nearly that price. Even worse, he was shipped over from ireland unseen and was picked based on his colour (not grey!) and breeding (and a trusted opionion on his temperament) :eek: I've not regretted it for a moment (although he is rather larger than expected! )

Booboos

Visit site
What do you want to do with this horse? Surely that is a crucial question in whether you want to buy it or not. If you want to bring it on a bit and re-sell the cribbing issue will be a problem (maybe even a big problem). If you want to keep it for life, potter about on it and don't mind the cribbing yourself then if you like him go ahead! If you want to advance you dressage it's unlikely that this will be the right horse for this job.

winchester

Visit site
My only advise i can give you.... form past experience.... Dont take on someone elses problems! If a horse has a fault trust me dont take it on! There are plenty of others out there just as cheap. Dont buy something with problems unless you are prepared to (possibly) have to deal with it for the rest of its life.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It appears to crib only in the stable when no food is about to eat.

Very simple to fix that then, its a shame its left with no food to eat anyway. To me, that sounds like boredom although of course ulcers is a concern but if its not doing it at any other time...? Sounds cheap, I'd take it if its really that nice to ride and handle - can't really go wrong can you? I do agree though, if you're intending to buy it to re-sell then I wouldn't. I bought an even cheaper pony, lovely type and fantastic to ride and handle - but she cribbed, even though she was turned out 24/7 she still did it on the fence posts (destroyed a few of them!) and took me 6 months to sell her purely because of the cribbing putting people off.

Last edited: