Would you take on a 19 year old horse.

stealthninja

Visit site
I had my mare PTS before Xmas. It was a pretty crap decision but I think it was the right one. During the last couple of weeks ive been having a couple of lessons a week and helping out at my friends livery yard - I figured before looking at getting a new horse, I would take some time to get my confidence up, because Tia has totally destroyed it. My friend has offered me a 19 year old TB x to loan, its one of her liveries, who can no longer afford him, and is looking to loan then gift him. They are willing to do a 4 week trial with me bringing him to where I keep my others and then it would be 6 months then he'd be gifted to me. I only want to do hacking / light schooling and he seems fit enough but he has mild arthritis now, but it loosens off after being ridden for 5 / 10 mins. Hes on no medication. He can obviously only get worse, and its a gamble whether I can 12 months fun out him or 5 years. Or do I wait and look at trying to find one in the summer which was my original plan?

Sophie1990

Visit site
I got my tb on loan when he was 17 and bought him when he was 18, he's a lot more supple now than before as I've found schooling is the key thing keeping him fit and flexible! I've read a lot of articles about tumeric as well so that might help? The old boys are great :)

Last edited:

RLS

Visit site
I was still riding my retired racehorse (light hacking) when he was 32 yrs old - so don't write off the oldies too soon!

stealthninja

Visit site
lol. Toby (cob) is older, but as yet (touch wood) hes got no issues. Ive also got another really old one who was ridden well into her late twenties, so I know hes possibly got loads of years left in him, I just wonder with the arthritis already being there, whether he can only get worse, and also whether its a bit soon. Hes a lovely natured soul, friendly, loves cuddles - bit of a pain to catch, but comes for food! I only want to go out for a couple of hours couple of times a week, but my confidence is a bit down after everything, and I don't think I can handle getting another wrong horse iyswim?

EmmaB

Visit site
If he's still sound I don't see the problem in taking on an older horse :) mine will be 18 this year and he's the same, stiff to start with but loosens off, my farrier and pysio say he may have a bit of arthritis but he still has good joints for his age. All I put him on is codlivine which deffo does help. We still do fast hacks, jumping, anything really.

If you like him and if he will be good for your confidence then I'd give him a try!

RLS

Visit site
You say he's not on any medication at the moment. Does that mean the arthritis is still quite mild, and maybe light work would actually improve him then?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If you can have him for a month on loan first you will get a good idea of him. Its good that your friend already knows him too.

Plenty of 19 year olds will go on for years. You could have a six year old that gets injured and retired. There are no rules really. The only thing that you have to remember is that he ought to be in a home for life at that age, and if you were to decide to sell him, you'd be highly unlikely to be able to do so.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I took on a 20 year old horse in September who has had a fairly hard life eventing. He is now hunting once a week and I wouldn't change him for the world. He is fab!!

He is now technically 21 but behaves like a five year old at times. Yes, he's not quite sound but the vet has told me to crack on and give him bute as and when required. He is considerably more expensive to keep than my usual horses but I've given up smoking to pay for him and so everyone's a winner!!

Before him, I wouldn't have dreamt of having an older horse but he has totally changed my opinion on that. Go for it.

stealthninja

Visit site
Yes its a mild stiffness atm, but vet has diagnosed as start of arthritis - loosens off very quickly after taking him out, and then hes lovely. More exercise could well be advantageous for him, but then its will I take him out enough? Id also be having him having more turnout than hes having at the yard, as they have rotational turnout due to boggy fields, and where I am turnout is 24/7 - I have stables but horses can choose to be in or out.

EmmaB

Visit site
Yes its a mild stiffness atm, but vet has diagnosed as start of arthritis - loosens off very quickly after taking him out, and then hes lovely. More exercise could well be advantageous for him, but then its will I take him out enough? Id also be having him having more turnout than hes having at the yard, as they have rotational turnout due to boggy fields, and where I am turnout is 24/7 - I have stables but horses can choose to be in or out.

That will really help too, I've changed my old one from being in at night to out 24/7 (unless of really bad weather) and its made a big difference, he's way less stiff. I just keep him nice and warm with thick enough rugs and he's a lot happier. That way even if you don't ride as much he will constantly be keeping himself moving :)

lurcherlu

Visit site
The 29 yar old tb at the yard I used to work out was so much better if he could love out, this winter he's been out and so much better, also when you bring in to feed a set of the Magboots are a god send

star26

Visit site
My dad took on a 20 year old gelding when I was younger- he lived into his late 30's and was still hacking out near the end. He was absolutely THE best horse we've ever owned. He gave me my confidence back when it was torn to shreds by my naughty pony (despite him being 17.2hh, and me being about 12 at the time!), we were lucky to have had him in our lives.

Management wise, lots of turn out for oldies is v.important to stop them stiffening up, esp if you only hack a few times a week. Our old boy had plenty of turn out and the movement kept him nice and supple- he did come in when it was really bad (loved his cosy deep straw bed!), we also built him a field shelter so he could take refuge if necessary.

If i were you i'd defo consider it, 19 isn't even that old! You could always do the trial and see how it goes. Tho as Honey says, a horse of that age deserves a home for life, so I wouldn't take him on if you can't guarantee his future.

Let us know what you decide :)

Valonty

Visit site
Years ago I had a pony that was late 20's when we got him and was 34 when he left to teach a young girl to ride. Also my friends TB is 34 and was ridden up until his late 20's. You just have to keep them fit, supple and have the correct joint care!!

booandellie

Visit site
I would be dubious about taking him on if he has arthritis< i got my mare as a gentle hacker- 2 to 3 times a week and was told she had a BIT of arthritis which i wasn't too worried about as i didn't plan to do that much with her. unfortunately within 6 months she was chronically lame, xrays showed bone spavin which danylon and steroid injections have not helped> i will be pts on thurs now>

RubysGold

Visit site
I would go for it if hes a horse that will help your confidence. You'll learn alot about him and know if hes the one for you by the end of the 4 week trial.
24 hour turnout might help him stay supple and it doesn't sound like you will work him too hard so go for it :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
I went to the dodgiest dealer ever and bought a horse passported at 12 year old. The passport was false and the horse turned out to be in his late teens. Like you i only wanted a happy hacker so I have kept him. Initially he tried it on a bit, an older horse knows all the tricks in the book, but he is 23 now (ish) and all things said and done i am more than happy with him. The way i look at it buying a horse of any age carries its risks.Maybe i was lucky this time but if i was looking again i would be more than happy to take on a retired hunter or eventer..........suits me fine!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Also agree with the 24 hour turnout, not as a lazy option but i do worry as he gets older he would be more prone to stiffening up kept inside, he has been out for two years solid now with a stable if he needs it due to injury or illness...........but to be honest he would hate being in!

Dizzleton

Visit site
I bought my horse as a 17yo; he's 22 in April and looks like this now :) Don't give oldies a miss.

image-2.jpg

photo11.jpg

e01ff76c-0ae1-4b85-abad-c5f44f892148.jpg

pip6

Visit site
I took a 19 yr old on loan, bought her 2 years later. We had fun until she was 28, she passed on aged 29. Best buy ever!

shmoo

Visit site
I bought my horse as a 17yo; he's 22 in April and looks like this now :) Don't give oldies a miss.

image-2.jpg

photo11.jpg

e01ff76c-0ae1-4b85-abad-c5f44f892148.jpg

Stunning horse - very jealous!

I have (well for my daughter) a now rising 20 ex polo pony. She's utterly fantastic. We took her on at 18 and she is one of the best horses I have ever had. She is more expensive than some younger horses to keep as she needs joint supplements, digestion supplements and is harder to keep weight on in winter. She has to live out as her legs fill and she gets horribly stiff if she's in. But worth it... so worth it. You can't put a price on experience, she's no spring chicken but she's safe and a whole lot of fun. My other one is only rising 16 and hasn't quite grown up yet... waiting... still waiting...

Goldenstar

Visit site
Personally I would not as what we do with our horses would not suit an older one .
But if the horse is sound and does the job you want I certainly would consider it .
I would however want a vet to take a look at it at some point during the trail so I knew the vet thought it soundish and it heart eyes and teeth where it ok shape .
As long as you like the horse and have a plan for its old age why not ,you could get a year you could get ten as long as you are prepared for this then go ahead.

Foxy O

Visit site
I took my horse on loan when he was 18, he will soon be 21, he is an ex-eventer and he is amazing, I wanted something that only needed riding two or three times a week. He has a bit of arthritis and I find it better when he is out 24/7. He is more expensive to keep as I have to keep the weight on him but he has taught me loads and is the best horse I have ever had.

Dizzleton

Visit site
JennyConnor, your boy is absolutely gorgeous you would never think he was an older horse !

Thank you! No one ever believes me when I tell them his age. He's full of life at the moment and still loves his dressage. Only yesterday he pranced a mile of a hack then pranced all the way out to his field followed by bucking, broncing and rolling!

Dizzleton

Visit site
I'll always remember him a couple of years back being a prat whilst doing a dressage test; fair to say our unasked shoulder ins and half passes did not get him good marks in his Elementary test; however I received a lovely comment from the judge ''A little unsettled today but showing expressive paces, very well ridden. An upcoming youngster'' I think he was 19 at the time!

stealthninja

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses. If I took him, I would be assuming that as long as the trial worked out hed be with me for life. Hes been at my friends yard for 4 years, and owned by his owner for 8, so its going to be a massive upheaval for him and I want to be sure its highly likely to succeed first.

JennyConnor Your boy is gorgeous!