Would you use a pessoa lunge system on a 2 yr old?

Theresa_F

Visit site
I would not use any gadgets on a 2 year old for lunging.

I have a gypsy cob who is now 29 months and we started doing a little work with him at 2. Prior to that he was bitted and did in hand work since 18 months but short 10 - 15 mins sessions three times a week and always with a day's rest in between.

Mine is used to wearing tack, is long reined once a week - about 20 mins max - we either go out along a bridleway or very quiet lane or do a short session in the school practising walk, halt and trot transitions and large figures of eights and turns.

He is led out off another horse once a week for about 30 mins at a walk with one short trot along a bridleway. He also does a short inhand session and/or a short loose schooling or working on a lunge line round the school but never for any time on a circle.

I find doing three different things a week for short periods is working very well, he really enjoys his sessions and is a very intelligent and easy going chap. I also have my traineer who is experienced in youngsters attending every couple of weeks to monitor our progress.

I would not consider any gadgets until 4 - though I may use a daisy rein soon for long reining on a temp basis when out as he is being a pest with trying to graze.