Would you use an equine physio?

cyberhorse

Visit site
I am wondering if you would use an equine physio to prevent problems rather than because you had a problem. I have a 14yr old KWPN who's conformation is very slighly hollow backed and I am obviously a bit paranoid about his back (everyone else would say totally paranoid). He is a showjumper (so uses his back a lot) and I do a lots of long and low work and general ground work aimed at keeping him supple and strong across his back.

Currently he gets his back checked by his vet who thinks he is A1, has excellent topline, plenty of muscular support and is very supple. She feels we are fine as we are but the choice of a routine physio is up to me as there is no health need. Quite a few people on the yard are very wary as they have a if it's not broke don't try fixing it frame of mind given they have had some practitioners making their horses worse and I can well understand their opinions. However I see the physio regularly and feel the benefit and at the moment my horse only has a massage pad, his vet and me. If he is an athlete surely he'd have some benefit even if he has no problems at present, or would you not take the risk and only use one if we had a problem crop up? Totally undecided at the moment as I was for it and everyone I speak to thinks I am being OTT so not sure now.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would, and I DO! But I'm very fortunate that a good friend of mine is a fully qualified physiotherapist, she can sort me out too ;)

My mare rarely has anything 'wrong', I use it for a general tune up or to get early warning about any potential problems or training issues - i.e. if there's a bit of tightness behind the saddle I might call the saddle fitter earlier than normal, or if there is nothing wrong I will push on through a training problem with a clear conscience.

IMO the benefit of having a regular visit is that the physio gets a good picture of the horse in its normal state and then if there is a problem it's easy to rule out any red herrings. For example, my mare is extremely suspicious when you start to assess her and will hollow her back, but that's just her - after 2 mins she will accept being fiddled with and hold herself normally. If the physio hadn't seen her before, they would possibly (wrongly) believe that to be caused by discomfort :)

be positive

Visit site
I routinely use a very good physio, she only treats when they need it and will sometimes go without doing anything. I have had horses looked at by vets but they have often found no problems when I know there is something.

One livery horse came in as a bad headshaker, the vet had said there was nothing he could do other than nosenet or turning away, he was checked by the physio who found an area by his withers that was causing it, he had treatment, a new saddle and never looked back. A year later the headshaking started again, more treatment and a wider saddle fixed it, this horse had been written off by a vet who had examined him many times over a 2 year period without finding a fairly obvious pressure point. Coming to my yard was his last chance, he went on to do BE so I certainly believe in regular checks.

galaxy

Visit site
Do you all get your vets permission before these regular visits though? I want a physio to check my two out regularly, but all these reasons that you have to have the vets first confuses me!?

You have to have permission for the initial referral, then anything in the future is just a follow up. I know my vets well, and they know my horse. It was just a case of a couple of phone calls as I was only wanting it for maintainance, not an actual problem. If I'd had a problem at the start, then I would have had the vet out first as I'm sure they would have insisted on it.

be positive

Visit site
You have to have permission for the initial referral, then anything in the future is just a follow up. I know my vets well, and they know my horse. It was just a case of a couple of phone calls as I was only wanting it for maintainance, not an actual problem. If I'd had a problem at the start, then I would have had the vet out first as I'm sure they would have insisted on it.

This, also if the physio is not happy that a horse responds to treatment or if it presents lame at assessment she will refer back to vets, she also sends a report of any treatment to the vets so it is on their records if ever needed.

ellie_e

Visit site
Yes i have a physio to see my kwpn sj'r she is fab and is in contact with the vet, I've also used a equine chiropractor who although was good, not as technically in depth as the physio.

maresmaid

Visit site
My horse is fit and healthy but i have a routine physio a couple of times a year. I don't see the need to ask my vet first as she is not currently being treated by the vet for any problems. I know my physio would recommend i see my vet if she found a problem

maresmaid

Visit site
.....That needed a vet. I have done this for a number of years since a physio spotted that a saddle i had made for a horse did not fit and was causing quite a problem.

lannerch

Visit site
Certainly would and do . Don't worry about the vet but usually the physio will ask you who your vet is when you book and check with them themselves.

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
I once used a chiropractor and never again, they are meant to only treat horses with a vets express permission otherwise they are breaking the law as I now understand it, this woman said that my vets didn't mind her treating horses, not quite the same thing in my view. She treated my horse and failed to see that he had a significant problem that needed veterinary input. My husband went to her for a session and was disgusted with all the flicking etc and being told that she had realigned his ribcage :eek:.
I have used a osteopath and would use him again, similarly a physio as there is science behind what they do.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I 'found' my physio on the recommendation of my referral vets - they use him a lot and recommend him. He was my best ever 'find'!!

I would certainly use him regularly on a competition horse, and on ANY horse following injury to ensure good (and correct) movement was re-established. I have also used him recently on two horses belong to clients who had severe behavioural 'issues' (caused by pain!) He worked a miracle on both of them!

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Vets are classed as primary care givers under the Veterinary Act 1966, any other person treating your horse is classed as a secondary care giver and legally requires veterinary permission before carrying out their work. This will be true of all physios, chiros, osteopaths etc, personally I would avoid anyone willing to work without Veterinary permission.

I once used a chiropractor and never again, they are meant to only treat horses with a vets express permission otherwise they are breaking the law as I now understand it, this woman said that my vets didn't mind her treating horses, not quite the same thing in my view. She treated my horse and failed to see that he had a significant problem that needed veterinary input. My husband went to her for a session and was disgusted with all the flicking etc and being told that she had realigned his ribcage :eek:.
I have used a osteopath and would use him again, similarly a physio as there is science behind what they do.

I'm not sure what chiropractor you saw, but it sounds like you had an unlucky bad experience. I wouldn't write off the world of chiropractic treatment because of this, there is plenty of science behind what they do and provided you use a chiropractor with a high level of qualification (e.g. degree level) you should get someone with a lot of experience who can benefit you or your horse.

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
I've since thoroughly researched chiros in particular this McTimoney and I'm afraid I don't agree that there's anything scientific behind the flicking, suspend belief needed more like. I will stick to the Osteo.

maresmaid

Visit site
Vets are classed as primary care givers under the Veterinary Act 1966, any other person treating your horse is classed as a secondary care giver and legally requires veterinary permission before carrying out their work. This will be true of all physios, chiros, osteopaths etc, personally I would avoid anyone willing to work without Veterinary permission.

I understand this, and if there were specific symptoms I would usually seek the attention of a vet first. Checks with the physio usually involve her assessment of the horses movement and muscle development, and we discuss the type of work she does and suitable excersises to ensure correct development of those muscles. I suppose I use her expertise to help my training program, more than to "treat" a problem - my vet wouldn't get involved in this kind of advice. Surely human athletes use physio's routinely to help prevent / minimise injury's that their training might cause? I think a properly trained physio can go along way to ensuring a competition horse both performs well and remains comfortable in the work expected of it, in my case the physio is all about prevention rather than cure!

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I 'found' my physio on the recommendation of my referral vets - they use him a lot and recommend him. He was my best ever 'find'!!

I would certainly use him regularly on a competition horse, and on ANY horse following injury to ensure good (and correct) movement was re-established. I have also used him recently on two horses belong to clients who had severe behavioural 'issues' (caused by pain!) He worked a miracle on both of them!

I think we use the same guy :)

In answer to OP, yes, I have the physio routinely, prob every 6 months, more frequently if I feel something is not right. Physio has been treating horse routinely for 2 years so knows the horse very well, horse had his routine check up in January, ready for the eventing season, he found something suspicious so referred me to the vet, turned out to be kissing spines but caught VERY early, before behavioural probs etc so prognosis is very good, thank god for the physio :)

Ibblebibble

Visit site
do physios, chiros etc have to be qualified/registered to practice? can anyone call themselves a physio? What about Equine manipulators? there is one near me who i've heard very mixed reviews about and i've often wondered what he is exactly!!

tiga71

Visit site
My horse has the physio once a month. He is worked quite hard and I like to know that if he has a twinge we can find it before it becomes a problem. My physio comes recommended and I trust her. She said he is in fine form and doesn't need it every month, but if he doesn't need anything particular doing she gives him a massage, so that works for me.

xxMozlarxx

Visit site

In answer to OP, yes, I have the physio routinely, prob every 6 months, more frequently if I feel something is not right. Physio has been treating horse routinely for 2 years so knows the horse very well, horse had his routine check up in January, ready for the eventing season, he found something suspicious so referred me to the vet, turned out to be kissing spines but caught VERY early, before behavioural probs etc so prognosis is very good, thank god for the physio :)

Wow..sounds like an excellent physio..KS is what the chiro I used wasn't able to diagnose or fix!!

fabscd

Visit site
Yes, i do. My physio was initially recommended by my vet because of a specific problem we were having. That was 6 years ago and after the initial problem was sorted, i have just had her out every few months or if i feel a problem. Usually there are some 'kinks' she can iron out and i would always rather spot things early on than have to wait until my horse is really sore to get something sorted out.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
do physios, chiros etc have to be qualified/registered to practice? can anyone call themselves a physio? What about Equine manipulators? there is one near me who i've heard very mixed reviews about and i've often wondered what he is exactly!!

Both Chartered Physiotherapist and Chiropractor are restricted terms that only people qualified as a human Physiotherapists or Chiropractors can use. To clarify a Physiotherapist works mainly on soft tissue issues a Chiropractor focuses on bone alignment (usually the spine). So the answer is no, not anyone can call themselves a Physio or Chiro.

There are a lot of equine sports massage therapists out there – these are people who (should) have trained in soft tissue manipulation for horses. They will not necessarily be qualified physiotherapists, as it will depend on whether they have come from a human therapy background first. There is unfortunately not one professional body that regulates equine sports massage therapists so there can be a lot of variation in the quality and experience of a practitioner, however some are excellent.

An equine manipulator will be someone performing chiropractic type treatments on a horse, who whilst trained as a qualified animal manipulator, cannot legally call themselves a chiropractor as they are not trained to work on humans. An equine manipulator should still be a qualified professional (with again a degree level qualification).

Its stupidly complicated! I would always look for someone who is a member of a professional body, NAVP, ACPAT or McTimoney etc even still personal recommendations are best, as with all professions (including vets etc) there are good and bad out there!

PS just to actually respond to the OP’s original question – sorry should have done this before! Yes, as you may be able to tell (I have researched this a lot!), I do use both a physio and chiropractor for my horse for regular check ups etc.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Wow..sounds like an excellent physio..KS is what the chiro I used wasn't able to diagnose or fix!!

He really is excellent, ACPAT reg so people first, even the referral vet did not think there was much there before we took the x-rays so she was very impressed with him :) We are currently in rehab post surgery, looking good so far :)

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
Yes absolutely.

Any horse in athletic work will encounter aches and pains. You wouldn't expect a human athlete to compete without a Physio, so shouldn't our horses?

Prevention is better than cure!

miss_wilson

Visit site

Unfortunately yes anyone can call themselves a physio as long as they put equine/animal etc in front of it, but only human physio can use the term chartered veterinary/animal physio, they are the ones who have qualified via the ACPAT route.

Splish & Masons mum

Visit site
Both Chartered Physiotherapist and Chiropractor are restricted terms that only people qualified as a human Physiotherapists or Chiropractors can use. To clarify a Physiotherapist works mainly on soft tissue issues a Chiropractor focuses on bone alignment (usually the spine). So the answer is no, not anyone can call themselves a Physio or Chiro.

This isn't actually true for physios, I know because my ACPAT registered physio is really on the case to do something about it!
The term "Physiotherapist" is a protected title, however as soon as you put a word in front of it eg Equine, Canine, etc, (basically anything other than HUMAN) it is not protected anymore. So I could set up tomorrow and call myself an Equine Physiotherapist with no training whatsoever... worrying isn't it!?

In answer to the original question yes I do use a physio for prevention rather than cure, she is brilliant, and usually informs me of the first signs of my saddle becoming uncomfortable, long before my horse ever would!

Last edited:

Joeyjojo

Visit site
This isn't actually true for physios, I know because my ACPAT registered physio is really on the case to do something about it!
The term "Physiotherapist" is a protected title, however as soon as you put a word in front of it eg Equine, Canine, etc, (basically anything other than HUMAN) it is not protected anymore. So I could set up tomorrow and call myself an Equine Physiotherapist with no training whatsoever... worrying isn't it!?

In answer to the original question yes I do use a physio for prevention rather than cure, she is brilliant, and usually informs me of the first signs of my saddle becoming uncomfortable, long before my horse ever would!

I completely agree and this is much clearer than my original post (I meant that chartered physiotherapist is protected rather than just physiotherapist) and I agree – very worrying!! :)

cyberhorse

Visit site
OK thanks I think I will go ahead with booking him in then. My vet is a specific equine vet and I have total trust in her, so as I said it is more a preventative measure for us. She has recommended a particular physio who when horses are referred for a veterinary opinion the diagnosis is always spot on - she will talk to her on the phone if required so I have no issues with a referral.

The other option I know some people us is a physio who treats both the horse and rider at the same time which in a way would seem advantageous as one out of balance would surely affect the other. Any experiences of this? I have thoracic outlet syndrome which is aggravated by riding so I need regular treatment myself. I guess this would also be a safe option given the human side of it legally requires registration?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

Tim Bradford?? He is a GENIUS! (And I'm VERY hard to convince!)