would you vet a foal??

Spring Feather

Visit site
My weanlings always sell to buyers from other countries so these people have not met the foals. I always always stress that they should have a vetting for their sake and my reputation. If my foals were only selling for £1,000 then I probably wouldn't push for it but for the type of money my clients spend yes I definitely prefer them to vet the weanlings.

mturnbull

Visit site
I put a deposit down for a foal about 3 months ago now and if weaning goes well she should be with us in about a month. I travelled about 9 hours to go see her after viewing photos and videos and knew when i saw her and spent some time with her that she was perfect! The sensible side of me did however want a vet to give her a 'check-up' and it was written on my reciept of my deposit that the sale would proceed with the all clear from the vet. The vet then visited her the week after and gave me a phone and told me everything I wanted to hear that she was fit and healthy. So in 4 weeks my lovely little filly will be joining me and I will have the peace of mind that we are off to the best start we can be!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
it is pointless having foals vetted because they havnt developed propaly because somethings can show up now i.e heart murmours and can have gone by the time they are a yearlings another reasons why u shouldnt get foals vetted is because stringhalt, shivers or ocd can not show until 2 year olds so in my opinion vetting horses any age are pointless because alot of problems in horses can be cured without a vet if treated correctly in sensiible hands. i have never had any of my horses vetted that i have bought nd yes some of them hav had problems but hav been cured with time off work, box rest or general care. i wouldnt reccomend any vetting to any horse :)

Ah - you're not a troll - you ARE just stupid!

You are wrong on so many points I don't know where to start. There are trivial and insignificant heart murmurs that might go - or might stay for years without causing problems. There are others which guarantee that a youngster will drop dead the first time it is seriously stressed - a decent vet will know the difference or - if in doubt - will know where to refer a foal for further examination.

OCD OFTEN shows in foals prior to weaning - and if there are not clear symptoms (i.e. lameness, hot joint) there will often be warning signs (over-grown foal, top heavy, very straight pasterns etc etc.) that a competent vet will spot!

You give such incredibly BAD advice that I would warn any HHO member who actually needs advice to put you on 'ignore'!

Aces_High

Visit site
I have always had weanlings vetted. I do think that heart, eyes and lungs should always get checked no matter how much or little the animal costs. I wouldn't want to buy something with either a bad murmur or that was going to go blind on me. If for one reason or another I wanted to sell the horse it would severely hinder it's value and also it's performance. It all depends what you are buying for but even if I was buying a horsey friend for the next 30 years, I'll still want eyes, heart and lungs checked. Sorry not much help!!