Would you write your phone number/post code on your TO rugs?

Polos

Visit site
I was just wondering if it was worth me doing. Does it affect the sale ability of the rugs though as my horse is still growing so may need to buy new rugs at some point.

catroo

Visit site
I don't personally as thankfully don't have a problem with them disappearing, then again I don't buy the top of the range models.

I'd imagine it would affect the resale value of the rug otherwise there wouldn't be much point in doing it!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've never have done, nor have I bought a rug that has been (if I knew/was fairly certain it hadn't been stolen) but it wouldn't put me off buying a rug as I'd personally be more concerned with quality.

frozzy

Visit site
I will this winter!! In large sheep marker preferably luminous!! We live in a very nice quiet part of the country and I have lost one brand new turnout, fly rug, muzzles and fly masks!!!!

alsxx

Visit site
I do with all of mine, the only one's I don't are fleeces/travel rugs.

Yes it affects re-sale value, but that doesn't bother me as I generally don't sell on my rugs! I grew up in Hampshire where rug theft was rife - rugs stolen off of a horses back in the middle of fields was not uncommon.....now in Kent and no one seems to mark their rugs; I was glad I did though when the livery yard I was at was broken into, all rugs taken apart from mine!!!!!

Hoopsa

Visit site
I was advised at a Police security evening to mark my rugs outside with post code and inside with, 'Stolen From...postcode'.
It feels awful to have to write that in your rugs but some people round here have had so many stolen that they padlock the front fastenings together.

Polos

Visit site
I was advised at a Police security evening to mark my rugs outside with post code and inside with, 'Stolen From...postcode'.
It feels awful to have to write that in your rugs but some people round here have had so many stolen that they padlock the front fastenings together.

I quite like the idea of 'stolen from...' in the inside, I might do that. It's sad that we need to do this to protect our belongings :(

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Fortunately, security is so good at our yard, it would be difficult to get into the fields or stables to remove a rug or God forbid, harm a horse.
If I felt sufficiently worried that theft was a risk, I'd probably move the horses somewhere else.

Tinypony

Visit site
Yes. There's a lot of rug theft in my area, so I use white gloss paint to do the job. Nothing subtle, I don't want the rug stolen then thrown away. My friend runs a very secure yard with a good alarm system, all the rugs were stolen off the horses in their stables one night. The thieves went in over the stable doors, so they didn't trigger the alarm by opening them.