Would you ................

Which one?

• Total voters

ChunkyMonkey25

Visit site
buy a horse with a sarcoid?

Going to see a horse tomorrow that sounds perfect in every way but is advertised with small sarcoid on sheath - would this put you off?

Thanks

jensheff26

Visit site
my old mare had a few they never grew and never bothered her she was 29 when she passed away so no it definatly wouldnt put me off if you really love the horse get a vet to give you there opinion on it it might help good luck

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
yes- i didnt buy a horse in the end as failed vetting on sarciods, but under girth area so difficult place. the vet who vetted thought within a short period of time they would need attention so no no for me

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Fany has 2, one under her tail and one on her ear. When we had her vetted we had them check it out, vet said to leave them, if they grow they are the type you can pop a band around. They haven't grown in the time we have had her. But she has them checked everytime the vet comes, just in case.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
It would depend on location of them I think. Mine had a sarcoid develop after 4 months of me owning him, so not picked up on the vetting. It was removed, and thankfully 5 years later none have reappeared (fingers crossed!)

I think you can be lucky or unlucky with them really. If the horse ticks every other box I would consider it, but also consider what you are paying and if need be ask for money off
smile.gif

NR99

Visit site
I have a mare who will be 17 this year and had a sarcoid at 4 which fell off and they have not re-occured I bought another 8 yo who we had for 3 years, they had a small one under the saddle but it never developed into anything. I think you need to talk to the vet about the location/type of sarcoid but it should not put you off outright, though the horse should be priced accordingly as not everyone is as lucky as we were. Good luck, hope you like the horse
smile.gif

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
No, as I knew a horse which had them between the hind legs and right up in the groin. Horse was a sod to deal with anyway, vet tried painting stuff on them and bands, but nothing worked, and I can remember the mess when one burset, you could have put you whole fist in the hole it made. The horse was PTS in the end, not just because of the sarcoids but they were a contributery factor, and they made the horse and his owners life very difficult.

ChunkyMonkey25

Visit site
when you say priced accordingly - what would you pay? This is a 9yr WBx who is working elementary but has potential to go further and is up for £5500 - would you pay this for a horse with a sarcoid?

kateknights

Visit site
Definately not! My very good friends horse had 1 sarcoid when she got him 10 years ago, she has had nothing but trouble with them, they have come up in various places all over the body, including his girth area throughout the years, she now can't ride him because of this. So just because said horse only has 1 now, it doesn't mean he wont get any more in the future. Saying that i know every horse is different.
Sorry to sound so negative but i know the heartache my friend has gone through.
There are plenty more good horses out there
Kate x

greenlivery

Visit site
I got my boy with a sarcoid, I saved up for treatment for it and then it just fell off!!!! Never had a problem since!
Any horse can develop a sarcoid, so even if you buy a horse without any, it may develop one later in life, I guess its just a risk you have to decide if you want to take or not. Good luck xx

letrec_fan

Visit site
It depends where it is located but in general yes. Remeber, vets will almost always cover their backs - they will most likely tell you not to buy the horse if it has a sarcoid incase it does develop into something worse. So I wouldn't suggest getting the vets opinion from a buying point of view! My ex race horse had a band around one on his chest. Touch wood never had any more and the original one has healed fine.

I would say keeping them clean is the most vital thing! Washing down with soap and water after every ride is essential etc as sweat aggrevates them and attracts flies in the summer. There is also supplements to help the treatment of sarcoids and homeopathic remedies.

Good luck with deciding!

angrovestud

Visit site
When I bought my Stallion he was covered in them he had 15 on front of his chest, under his girth his tummy, his sheath and his testicals we were told by the vet at the vetting for his insurance that he would have to be given creams from Knockerbelt from Liverpool, and that this would likely render him infertile as I had bought him already to use as a stallion I was not going to cause him to lose his fertility, so I rang my old vet, who told me to let him be a horse and put him in a field with some mares and he would be Ok, with in 6 months they had ALL fallen off and my stallion is now a proud sire of many winning foals I owe a dept of gratitude to the sarcoids as I did not have £20,000 for him but I did have £6,500 so you can have good luck and I hope some travels your way yes I would buy a horse with Sarcoids.

TicTac

Visit site
sarcoids on the sheath usually turn out to be more cancerous than not. Have a vet take a look and then make an informed decision. You wouldn't get insurance cover for that area.

ChunkyMonkey25

Visit site
Hey all - quick update - went to see horse today and fell in love, is exactly what I wanted but sarcoid is rather large and between both back legs - horsey friends and instructor that came with me told me not to touch it with a barge pole! Shame as lovely lovely horse. Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.