Would you

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Would you use a saddle fitter that doesn’t watch the horse be ridden/lunged with the saddle on?

My previous saddle fitter always fitted the horse from the ground but he never watched them ridden/move or lunged. Hes in his mid 70s and a master saddler.

A friends saddler watches the horse ridden and in all 3 gaits to check movement and balance.

Im SW based if anyone has any recommendations.

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I have used a person who matches your description for my last few saddle fittings. The horses in question seemed happy enough…

Im really struggling to get a saddle to fit my young horse. I tried a new fitter a few friends use but she’s almost ran out of ideas and can only get new. They all seem to lift on her back once she’s trotting under saddle.

I know the Saddler in question has lots of second hand saddles but not sure how well they can fit if he hasn’t seen the horse move.

eggs

Visit site
I have always ridden the horse for a saddle fitting when getting a new saddle - I would want to be sure that both the horse and I were comfortable and that it fitted. If it was just a saddle check for an existing saddle that the fitter had seen previously I wouldn't be worried about not riding the horse.

I once had a mare that I had two GP saddles for that both fitted her according to the saddler. However if I came out of the tack room with one of them she would put her ears back and move away whilst with the other she didn't show any reaction. They looked similar but she made it clear which way her preference lay.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No, I now wouldn't. My old saddler did static fittings, this was last century tho.
If B Fuzzy had been fitted like that, then I'd have been in a pickle, as like many, she's an awkward fit, but can also object violently to a new to her saddle once moving on.

Nothing has been too much trouble for my current lovely saddle fitter, my new one was one of 5 from the same range, after previously trying umpteen others and one saddler even telling me she would get used to it eventually....
I ride at all paces and also jump in the saddle when trying, I need to know it's right for both of us.

SEL

Visit site
No. A very well known and well qualified saddler fitter convinced me a MW Albion fitted the Appy. She's never been anything other than super wide. Fortunately I did insist on riding in it and she made her opinions very well know.

Four Seasons

Visit site
Same here, my saddler checks on the ground, all 3 gaits, looks from front and back whilst riding and usually makes some adjustments afterwards, then makes me ride around again to double check.

Can't give you any recommendations unfortunately...