Would your dog protect you?

CAYLA

Visit site
Yes, my rottie has a natural protection, more a worried (what you doing to my mammy):confused::D and the more I exaggerate the noise "aya" and OH pretends to slap his hands together she lunges at him and looks savage (she would never bite OH) but she would a stranger. My shepherd was the same, as was a collie I owned and most of my mams shepherds, some breeds are more inclined to protect this way.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Daisy wouldn't . . . she's soft as butter. She thinks EVERYone was put on this earth to be her friend and love her.

Fred, on the other hand, is a right little terrorist and I suspect he'd have anyone who set foot in our house uninvited. He has protected me out on walks before now (put himself between me and someone both he and I thought dubious and growled an airsnapped) . . . and I have no doubt that he'd protect the rest of the family too . . .

P

Hexx

Visit site
I know Bella would as she used to guard Lauren who used to walk her for me!

My old Jack and Patterdale definitely would - my boyfriend at the time saw me walking them round the carpark late one night (I lived in a flat years ago and would do late night walkies round the car park for last wees) and decided to come and check I was OK and keep me company. I didn't hear him, but the dogs did, and as he got closer they both went for him. Luckily they were on leads. They knew him well, we'd been going out about 6 months. It didn't half make him jump, and he made sure to let me know he was there next time!

As for Jasper - he's probably lick the person to death, and Bertie would probably just run away!!

{97702}

Visit site
Nope they wouldnt - but then greyhounds are not exactly known for aggression towards people :) Luckily most people appear to be quite intimidated by 4 dogs approaching them, so I have never had a problem :p

I would be quite interested to see Hoover's reaction if someone did approach me in an intimidating/aggressive way, he is very reliant on me, so he would either protect me or leap behind me for protection :D

SCMSL

Visit site
My king charles 10 month old puppy is the nicest dog in the world, gets along with any person or dog - my other dog is actually very dog aggressive (has killed) and up until now Summer is the only dog he likes. She is also the biggest wuss in the world!

However, she does something I find really sweet. If someone tries to enter my bedroom during the night, she will growl at them.

She also barks and bites on command - taught her this because she is my practice dog (considering getting an argentinian hound next so need to make sure I'm doing the right stuff). We have a trainer who helps us so don't be concerned people! She bites but she also releases, stops, goes backwards, right, left, sits, lies down... she's a pretty advanced dog, specially for her age!

smiggy

Visit site
We have little dogs that yap and house guard but if I were out with them I don't think they would notice if I was being mugged!
My gsd on the other hand I absolutely know would defend me or two of my children to the death. My oldest son doesn't like animals and doesn't interact with the dogs at all, so although the dogs tolerate him as living in the house, they don't really see him as a family member. If he is fighting with the other two, messing about trying to snatch the tv remote say, dog will suddenly and silently appear , bark once in warning then if he doesn't back of straight away will nip his backside. Luckily he has very good bite inhibition and doesn't even break the skin,tear his clothes.
Of course this is not something we have trained or encouraged in any way but it does give me confidence that if daughter was ever out walking dogs and had a problem, gsd would sort it fairly swiftly!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
My king charles 10 month old puppy is the nicest dog in the world, gets along with any person or dog - my other dog is actually very dog aggressive (has killed) and up until now Summer is the only dog he likes. She is also the biggest wuss in the world!

However, she does something I find really sweet. If someone tries to enter my bedroom during the night, she will growl at them.

She also barks and bites on command - taught her this because she is my practice dog (considering getting an argentinian hound next so need to make sure I'm doing the right stuff). We have a trainer who helps us so don't be concerned people! She bites but she also releases, stops, goes backwards, right, left, sits, lies down... she's a pretty advanced dog, specially for her age!

SCMSL How did you train your dog to bite on command, Im not going to have a go at you just genuinely interested.

SCMSL

Visit site
Well, she absolutely adores her kong. I started rough playing with her, and introduced the "over" command, which means the play is over. Once I was sure I could stop her and have her back off from stuff, I introduced the "bite" command every time she would get a bit more excited with the toy. She is very smart, so from there to her figuring out the "bite" meant actually be aggressive towards something, it was pretty simple. Oh, also worth mentioning one of the first commands she learnt was to go to the object/person I point at - we have started doing a bit of agility to see if her energy level goes down a bit! So if I want her to attack anyone or anything I just have to point at it and say "go bite!" - the "go" part is sort of an incentive, because she is only allowed to grab her toys or even more after I say "go".

Hope its clear enough... I'm pretty proud of my puppy and I definitely need to make a video of all her tricks - most recent one is to go grab the pack of smokes from my mom's wallet :)

Last edited:

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Mine would and has but it is not something I encourage. What I do is teach speak to a hand signal which has come in handy but one of mine is also very good at finding flashers! Why anyone would want to run around with their whatsit poking out for all to see I have no idea but waving it at my dog is definitely not something I would recommend :D

Dobiegirl

Visit site
SCMSL thank you that is very interesting, is it a Dogo Argentina (not sure of the spelling) that you are having one day. I remember watching a foreign film about one and him being entered and winning in the show ring, a very formidable dog.

Star-Chaser had to laugh at your post and my dogs love sausages , 2 of them being Dobes are just the right height to help themselves.:D

SCMSL

Visit site
SCMSL thank you that is very interesting, is it a Dogo Argentina

Yep, thats the plan. Such stunning, powerful dogs! But I feel you really need to know what you are doing, and although I've always had dogs (and big dogs, Summer's my first lap dog) I think you should be responsible and get some formal training before getting one.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Yes and has done a few times, I often think its why he doesn't like strange dogs and people.. Because they are a threat to me and him in his eyes.

I remember once walking him late at night and a guy started shouting at me to tell him the time, he was drunk. I went to quickly walk past and he grabbed my arm- that was all it took... He got bitten and I dragged away my dog on his two back legs barking/snarling as I ran off scared and legs like jelly.

I often wonder if that encounter made him the way he is today around me, I have no doubt in my mind he would fight to the death for me and I love him equally as much to make sure he is always kept safe and never has to.

Suffice to say I also now never walk late at night! Lesson learnt!

Toffee44

Visit site
Dylan is useless. He once growled at a drunk man asking the time but that was it, he greats strangers we meet on walks with a sit down and a wagging tail. He defends the house though, with his gobby attitude. He has a deep bark but soon as you go pet him he's soft as s****.

We once had a friend bring someone round Dylan hadnt met, our friend told Dylan to shut up Dylan came in looking as if he had just been beaten up :( poor boy.

I think if the atmosphere was tense and teal was off lead he might. Hope I never have to find out.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yes I am pretty sure she would. However, I was messing about with the dog and making a silly squeaky noise :eek: and the cat came running in and cuffed the dog with her paw :eek:

My old Keeshond would. He'd lie by any pram and stay there til the mum tok it away. He nearly gave the milkman a heart attack as he rounded the L shaped path one morning and saw the dog (what'd escaped) coming at him shouting his head off. :eek: He'd protect me from anyone thing to come at me, like play fighting with my dad. I think they're guarding dogs, certainly my grandparents' employers used them to guard the estate.

The current pack, I doubt it. A colleague came to visit the other week and Bear was almost immediately sat upright on her knee :D, Brig at her feet, Zak close but not too close. Zak might protect me but that's more to do with him being DA and a bit wary of people.