Wound on back of cannon bone not healing - suggestions?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
After spending the best part of 2 1/2 months battling Fabio's cellulitis, we've now got that **touches wood** under control. He ended up having Baytril for nearly a month to sort it out. He had his last dose last Tuesday so we're over a week and his leg hasn't blown back up. So now onto the next issue! He has 2 small wounds on the back of his cannon bone, 1 of which was the last bit to burst out when his leg had swollen again and the other i think has been caused by bandaging, even though have been putting extra padding in. So now in a bit of a catch 22 position. After all the trouble getting the cellulitis under control, i don't want him turned out without bandage whilst there's any open skin. But i think that may be whats needed to get this to heal. Its not helped that him and his field buddy have been spending half the time hooning around! But said field buddy has now been moved to the next paddock to enjoy the lush grass that Fabio isn't allowed so that takes care of that problem. All of the sores and broken skin from the cellulitis were concentrated around and under the fetlock and they have all healed nicely. I'm wondering whether it would be worth trying some medical grade manuka honey on these so i can not bandage and try and get them healed? Have been initially using the flamazine/steroid/antibiotic cream on it but wondered if that was thinning the skin so switched to sudocreme. Will give the vet a call later as want him to come out for a final check anyway but thought it would be worth gauging opinions on what others would do for this. It looks a bit worse than normal on the pic as had just cleaned it up and the warm water did make it weep a bit. Its not really all that bad but just not quite healing up, guess because the skins so thin there. I'm sure i'm being OTT but i really don't want to be faced with the cellulitis again!

20140408_193800.jpg

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Have now spoke to the vet and not going to bandage as of tonight and carry on sudocreme to the scabs. Still interested in what others would do though.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Thanks - forgot to say thats what i done last night, purple spray rather than sudocreme as was bothered it was being kept too wet.

STRIKER

Visit site
Manuka honey or honeyheal from equine podiatry supplies, its manuka and copper and zinc which are all healing properties which encourage regrowth of hair etc etc. i would clean when brought in from field and apply the chosen ointment and leave unbandaged.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Ideally leave unbandaged to form a scab. I actually would clean really well then apply cream/vet wound powder and then leave uncovered and try to touch as little as possible until scab formed. Can you keep him in until it heals/turnout in dryish field?