Wow Greenwich!!

Firewell

Visit site
I don't know if anyone remembers those posts a few years back about us all questioning the decision to use Greenwich park for the equestrian events. How it was a waste of money, how would it fit blah blah.

Well I got my piccies off my little camera from the dessage and I have to say whoever pushed it through to have the equestrain events at Greenwich was inspired. What a stunning stunning venue and backdrop for what was obviously our greatest achievement in British equestrian history.

So pretty:-

311497_10151123438435210_1936099692_n.jpg

391506_10151123438975210_173244294_n.jpg

Ahhhhh

424236_10151123439125210_1121896480_n.jpg

I'm going to be sad after the closing ceremony. It has been so brilliant it's all going to feel like a bit of an anticlimax!

millimoo

Visit site
Me three..... Stunning, hassle free & quite simply aweseome :)
I also plan to return to Greenwich, as I'd never been before and always felt it was a bit off the beaten track - how wrong I was, and I loved the place and plan to explore very soon

OldGit

Visit site
Awesome setting awesome decision and awesome performance from all our athletes (equestrian and non), medalists or not. To coin a roman saying "we salute you". Don't know what the fec to watch after tonite - back to netflics I guess

BarmyC

Visit site
Oh i agree 150% I was there for day 2 of the Eventing Dressage and managed to walk the XC course too.

I thought the back drop and the views were just incredible and everytime i think back to any of the equestrian events and the performances of our teams i get quite teary and all goose pimpley.

I have to say that i think the volunteers that have given there time to making the games what they are need a massive salute too!!

Stateside

Visit site
Yes it was stunning yes it was a success, But what a waste , we have nothing as a sport all disciplines except the medals. If a plot of land had been bought in a 40 mile radios of the Olympic village and it had been all built for the games we would have been left with a National Equestrian Centre for the use of the sport at all levels for many years to come. instead we just have memories. Trouble with what has just happened is it was all show and no insight to the future it was only money being spent to build it all and then knock it all down and pay more money out to put Greenwich back as if it had never happened.
Look at the canoeing centre the mountain bike park, the swimming pool , the veladrom (Bike arena) all there for there sports future.
We did really well but with the loss of a large national centre that we could have inherited from the games it is going to be uphill to maintain our progress, the funding wont last for ever, whatever is being said at the moment.
Sorry I don't agree with the other posts very flashy but no lasting benefit for the British horse world.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Well in fear of sounding smug :rolleyes: I knew that Greenwich would be the most amazing and iconic venue and I was so happy that we pulled it off and the logistics all worked. As a Londoner from that part of London it was truly awesome to see the park host the equestrian events and so many people have so many fabulous memories they will never forget.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I don't agree with the other posts very flashy but no lasting benefit for the British horse world.

I disagree. The legacy is the rise in profile of equestrian sports. London 2012 took disciplines which are often viewed as elitist to the heart of the City. I have friends that know nothing about horses who watched the TV footage and were completely blown away. That would not have happened if a purpose built venue 40 miles outside London was used - it would have been just a peripheral activity to the main event instead of being right in the thick of it.

Nosey

Visit site
Agree 100%. Totally brought horse sport to the heart of the games. Was there to see charlotte get her individual gold...awesome display & venue!

Foxford

Visit site
It was a great venue - very atmospheric and the organisation was very good. I did enjoy going as I don't often make the trip to see live events and it was certainly a day to remember.

However, I'm another that would agree the loss of a permanent venue wasn't worth it (Sorry!). Look at the sailing and rowing for example, they had their own mini-atmosphere and people were still interested and watching on the tv etc.

I would be interested to know what the riders thought about it, as now things are over they might be able to voice their opinions rather than towing the party line? ;)

sare_bear

Visit site
I too had a fantastic day at the dressage. It was amazing to have such a lovely venue, truly stunning.

My concerns with it being a permanent venue, is who is going to upkeep it and pay the ongoing maintenance costs. A nice idea, but practically not sure. Especially in this economic climate, when equestrian centres are folding. Would it end up like in Barcelona where half the venues (not only equestrian) have become decayed and fallen apart, because there is no financial input after the Olympics.

Had a great day to remember and hopefully the equestrian events will be in the next Olympics, showing that it can be done in a city venue.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I think horse sports dodged a bullet re the permanent facility!

We couldn't keep Stoneleigh going, show centres round the country are up for sale, how on earth would we have funded a new legacy centre? We wouldn't, and then we rightly would have been lambasted for it being a monumental waste of money on an elite sport.

imr

Visit site
Totally agree with spotted cat. I think that a permanent venue would have run the significant risk of being a total white elephant - and it would have meant having all the horse sports marooned miles from london.
Legacy is about a lot more than a venue - as a country we are actually spoiled for venues anyway - its about increasing participation and profile, getting funding and maybe if we are lucky attracting more lord harrises into being prepared to support our riders by owning top horses.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I kind of agree with the posts about legacy, but do you think we actually need another big equestrian venue? I know in theory it sounds nice and I'd love to be able to have the chance to compete in that arena. But seriously, we already have a fair amount of very good equestrian and competition centres within 50 miles of London, and many of them are struggling financially as it is. I know of several that are having to think outside the box for others ways of using the venues to generate funds.

pootleperkin

Visit site
I agree with spotted cat and others - we don't need another permanent equestrian venue. Greenwich was awesome - could that arena have been any more suited to the equestrian disciplines and it brought horse sport back to the heart of the games. I also had a few little moments of 'wow, I'm at the Olympics' on Thursday at the dressage (in between sweating buckets in the hot, hot sun!)

Only 20 odd minutes after the closing ceremony, I am now officially bereft and have started Olympic withdrawl. FGS, I'm going to have to start to do some work again!Very pleased to see there is a round up show on tomorrow night, just to wean me off a little.

Firewell

Visit site
I can't wait to go in September to see the Paralympics there. It looked amazing on TV.

You will have a fantastic time!

I agree with anyone else, after witnessing it first hand it would have been a monumantal shame to have it anywhere else, it televised so well also. We have so many equestrain sites 40 miles from London. I live 40 miles from London and they are ten a penny around me. I think that was the point initally, why have it at Greenwich when we could have saved money and had it an exisitng equestrian establishment. It wouldn't have been nearly as good though, it would have just made it another competition.

Tbh the Olympic Games were an outstanding achievement I feel, and I feel flat now they are over! Really proud to be British. Proud that we were able to welcome the world, be thrilled that they came and were able to see our culture, our city and our way of life showcased in the way it was *wub*. I feel much more patriotic now then I did and much more inspired.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I was lucky to go to Greenwich twice for the dressage including last Thursday for the Kur and medal giving and what a BRILLIANT time I had at both!

I thought the whole layout was stunning, everything was beautifully organised and the Games Makers (Pink People) and Army/Navy/Police were friendly and helpful. There was a real 'holiday' atmosphere about the place, even at the train stations and in the local shops.

I absolutely loved everything about it, and have watched a lot of other sports on TV and on iPlayer..... so now I'm feeling a bit bereft that it's all over!

I'm glad that the Equestrian was held in London, rather than being stuck out on a limb somewhere. And much as a legacy equestrian centre is a nice thought, other people are right, who would pay for its upkeep thereafter?

BEVol

Visit site
I was one of the very lucky volunteers and spent 7 glorious days at Greenwich. I never tired of the view even in the rain and have a bucket load of memories to cherish. The 2 hour train journey each way was well worth the effort although it did feel strange heading off to an equestrian 'event' without the car full of stuff I usually cart around 'just in case'.