wow saddle problems

harrihjc

Visit site
I got Flash a wow saddle about a month ago, after an 18 month search to find something that fits him, and we're finding that the back of it is lifting off his back, particularly when he's jumping
frown.gif
We've had the fitter back and some adjustments mande, but its still doing it and quite a few people, including the judge commented on it. It's not really something I can feel, but Flash is very bouncy anyway. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm going to phone them again and see when they come out, but I'm a bit worried that it won't be something we can sort and I'll be back to square one but a lot of money down
frown.gif
Any advice?!

Cluny

Visit site
I can sympathise with you, I had alot of problems with my WOW. The only thing I can say is that if it is lifting at the back then it is too wide at the front and is falling forward and therefore lifting at the back. I'd speak to your fitter about going down a headplate size perhaps.

Good luck!

Nari

Visit site
My advice would be to get a different fitter out. I love my Wow but I think a good fitter is even more crucial than with a conventionally flocked saddle. I'm sure the problem can be overcome, my Wow is the only saddle I've had that doesn't lift off Jim's back, but if you've given this fitter two tries I'd get a different one out & maybe speak directly to Wow for advice.

harrihjc

Visit site
We went down a headplate size when she came out last week because he'd changed shape a lot. I would expect a bit of movement, but its apparently lifting about 2 inches
frown.gif
He has a H girth on it too to help stabilise it, but still does it.

Cluny

Visit site
I'm afraid that the capabilities of the WOW fitters does tend to vary, some are good, some are diabolical. I would love to know how much fitting experience they have or how much teaching they are given. Would definitely echo Nari and get a second opinion from another WOW fitter.

harrihjc

Visit site
We are actually very close to where they are based, and the fitter we've had is supposed to be very good, both by word of mouth and according to the company
confused.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
Does sound like it is too wide in front. Two inches is a lot - I wouldnt expect any noticeable movement at all.

when you say he has changed shape and already gone down a size, is this due to losing weight? Otherwise I would be concerned that he had muscle wastage at the withers hence why the saddle was (and possibly still is) too wide.

Did his previous saddle do the same?

palomino_pony

Visit site
I'm not sure about wow saddles but I have always been advised to put a folded piece of fybagee under the front of the saddle to raise it a little and balance out the saddle but also let the muscle under the saddle build up - but saying that, the price that wow saddles are I would expect it to fit

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No Random Rach, Wow are made by First Sense Equine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly me, it is amerigo and selleria, or atleast i think that is what my saddler said.

harrihjc

Visit site
CBAnglo, he hasn't lost any weight, but he does seem to have come up in front, rather than it being muscle wastage, although that is a concern. His front end hasn't quite caught up with his bum yet, and he's varied massively between a narrow fitting to an extra wide over the last 2 years!

We have always had saddle problems, his last one rose up at the back too, he's really barrel shaped but he's still got quite lean baby shoulders, he's very broad and high withered, but his withers aren't very defined, if that makes sense!? His girth groove is also very far forward and tends to pull everything up his neck. Plus he's VERY short backed.

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
CBAnglo, he hasn't lost any weight, but he does seem to have come up in front, rather than it being muscle wastage, although that is a concern. His front end hasn't quite caught up with his bum yet, and he's varied massively between a narrow fitting to an extra wide over the last 2 years!

We have always had saddle problems, his last one rose up at the back too, he's really barrel shaped but he's still got quite lean baby shoulders, he's very broad and high withered, but his withers aren't very defined, if that makes sense!? His girth groove is also very far forward and tends to pull everything up his neck. Plus he's VERY short backed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is alot like my horse(barrel belly, undefined withers ect.) although they are completely different horses(from what i can tell from your sig) and i have the exact same problems with my saddle but it doesnt do it with the saddle i am now saving(its very expensive lol) to get, which is an equipe close contact.

rocketdog69

Visit site
Hi there

Sorry to hear youre having problems after spending so much dosh.

My best buddy is a master saddler and I've seen her at work a thousand times. Although I'm not qualified to say, your saddle is definately the wrong fit and I would get your fitter back and give him/her what for.

When you spend a lot of money you should get bloody good service.

Dont take no for an answer, they've sold you a saddle which is not fit for the purpose it was bought.

Good luck.

KatB

Visit site
Not good
frown.gif
Could be either the fact the shape of the underside of the saddle isnt fitting his back, or that it is too wide infront as already said. If the front is being widened out, ideally the whole gullet needs to be widened to fit the contours of the back better. I would definitely get a second opinion. Thats the problem with a wow, there are lots of parts to get right.....

CBAnglo

Visit site
hmm, yes, sounds like my anglo who was very hard to fit for. I think I remember you sending me some pics of your horse and I asked whether he was part arab as he seemed so much like my boy.

It is hard to fit short backed horses with long withers with forward girth grooves and no shoulder. You need to play around with the girth straps and the width to make sure you get the saddle balanced and it does take a while to get it right. I dont fit wows so I cannot comment on what adjustments might be possible, but I know a few people who have had fitting after fitting and it just didnt work until the owner/founder came out and fitted the saddle properly and voila saddle is perfect for them (I dont really get on with wows). I would ring them and find out if he will come out and sort out your saddle. It is a lot of money to spend for a saddle that sadly does not sound as though it fits.

harrihjc

Visit site
We're going over there this week hopefully so that David can see if he can sort it out for us, fingers crossed! After all the saddle problems we've had with Flash I can't face another battle!