Wow saddles, deep dressage seats and the size of my backside ponderings...

Maia

Visit site
I'm think of getting a new Wow...

In "normal" saddles I seem to perfectly fit a 17.5"

I have a jump Wow and have a size 1 seat which is perhaps a smige snug but does the job and not too small. Its a deep seat. I tried a shallow seat in a size 1 and found that that was too small... confused yet? I am! It would seem in the slightly deeper style the size 1 is ok but would need a size 2 if went shallower....

I've been offered a vgc Wow dressage saddle. Its one with the giant high blocks and is currently a size 1 (panels and seat) - seat is the extra deep. Person selling is happy to sell in parts so I could just have the panels and flaps and track down a bigger seat else where if I wanted.

So I trundled off to local saddlery and sat in a load of deep, blocky dressage saddles of various sizes to see what fitted best. Guess what - it was always the 17.5. The 17 came up just a wee bit snug (an incentive I guess not to get any fatter!) but I was swimming in the 18... however, this could also be that due to the big blocks (which I like) the 17 was very holding hence feeling snugger??? Whereas with the 18 I seemed to have a little more freedom with my leg position...

Measured up from center of pomel to center of cantle lengths (as this is the distance in which my lardy arse must fit) and 16" distances seemed about right....

OK, so I'm rambling... to get on with point of post some questions:

1) Those with Wow ex deep seats - what size do you have and how does this compare to conventional sizes you would normally choose?

2) Those with Wow ex deep seats in size 1 and/or 2 - what is the length from center of pomel to center of cantle?

3) Has anyone got a picture of a size 2 seat on size 1 panels (or size 3 on size 2) - does it look odd?

4) If buying a saddle with an extra deep seat and big blocks is it better to go slightly too big or slightly too snug?

Of course I may not buy as secretly after a brown set up and this is black... that said I could be tempted to mix and match colours as my jump is brown with black trim and blocks and looks lush!

twisteddiamond

Visit site
my mum has a size 0 deep with giant blocks, which i find a bit snug with my BP on, i used to have a size 2 xdeep with normal dressage which i floated about in, i now have a size 1 shallow CC seat and dressage flaps, which i find is the best combo for me, usually i ride in a 16.5/17" standard dressage saddle if thats any help

Maia

Visit site
That's interesting thanks - I find the size 1 shallow too small so it may be that the size 2 will work... So frustrated Badminton was cancelled as I'd planned on invading the stand to answer all these qu!

Shadster

Visit site
don't know if this will help, but I'm a dress size 10 and have a deep seat size 1 on size 0 panels. I have the VSD flaps with fixed blocks in the dressage position. My friend is a dress size 12 but tall and slim and she has a deep seat 2 on size 1 panels with the conventional dressage flaps. I've ridden in her dressage saddle and it doesn't feel too big at all. It definitely doesn't look 18" either.