Wow! That was one loooong winter!

Mrs B

Visit site
Finally this evening, left M out for the night ... Yay!

Don't get me wrong: I love looking after them and am now into my 5th decade of mucking out, but I have to say the prospect of no poop to scoop in the morning is rather nice!

No wrinkled noses in the shop queue when I get my newspaper either ;)

I hope you all have a lovely summer with your horses - what are all your plans?

Firewell

Visit site
Its funny you should post this. I have just been looking through old photos and I have pictures of my horse at the end of March 2011 in his summer coat and super shiney and blooming! I have pictures of him today just loosing his coat now and a little lean. I can't believe the difference. It has been one hard, long winter.

castella

Visit site
I totally agree, I managed to ride in the field yesterday as the ground was perfect, it was lovely cantering round in the sunshine and has been far too long coming !

I'm pleased I managed to tough it out over winter and kept the pony ticking over hacking out at weekends that we can now get cracking doing some competing for the first time.

Clava

Visit site
The buds on the trees were finally bursting today :) It has been a very long winter, I held on for March thinking it would be Spring soon and 6 weeks later it is finally here :)

Last edited:

Brimmers

Visit site
Ours are STILL in at night due to the heavy week of rain we had last week. This sunshine should be drying it up mighty quick though!

It better be a good bloody summer thats all I can say...

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
No wrinkled noses in the shop queue when I get my newspaper either ;)

Hehe, that did make me laugh, wrinkled noses :D

I hope you all have a lovely summer with your horses - what are all your plans?

Well plans for this summer are to just be happily hacking, I am not into showing or competing or anything like that, never have been. Nell is rising 4 and we are just hacking out in the last 2months, did have our first small trot last weekend mind, but I just want to hack out in the beautiful peaceful countryside this summer :D
Its wonderful to see and hear the bids chatting and my flowers coming up, and I have seen the bees and butterflies out today too, lovely stuff :D

Mrs B

Visit site
Its wonderful to see and hear the bids chatting and my flowers coming up, and I have seen the bees and butterflies out today too, lovely stuff :D

'Tis, isn't it? I saw a Brimstone butterfly the other day - bright gold! I like the superstition that the more colourful the first butterfly you see, the happier your summer will be ...

And it's been such a relief to hear the bees back in the garden today - couldn't think how they had survived for so long, but the air was full of "Bbbbbzzzzzzz" as they bumbled between all the (very) late spring flowers :)

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
No Swallows here yet, and with no real summer last year I think with the late winter Blast it has made it the longest most miserable mother of a Winter I have ever known.

Nickijem

Visit site
So lovely to actually feel some warmth in the sunshine at last. It has certainly been the longest winter I can remember. It was 7 months ago when the gritters first went out - that gives some idea about how long it has been. Coupled with the fact that my horse had a recurring abscess over the winter meaning very early mornings to tub and poultice his foot it has been particularly hard going. BUT today the birds were singing and we have the whole summer to look forward to.
Hopefully we will get to a few little dressage competitions this year and lots of lovely hacks!

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
I heard a cuckoo today, thought I heard him four days ago but it was so windy I wasn't sure. This evening it sounds like he has set up shop near my field. Probably drive me nuts in a week or two.:D
Haven't seen any butterflies yet though.

And the most beautiful sunset.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I saw a caterpillar yesterday! Yes, it has been hard - makes me laugh everyone at work moaning about the weather - they should try getting out in it every morning and evening rather than having a winge from the other side of a pane of glass!

Loads of showing planned for this summer - in fact we have our first show of the year planned for Sunday so rather nervious - first time doing both LR and cob classes so quick change needs to be perfected!

LeneHorse

Visit site
Another sighting for the 'springwatch' thread!
This morning at 7am I saw a large flock (?) of geese flying north. They were flying in V formation so definitely geese not random seagulls :)

TrasaM

Visit site
The grass snakes have appeared in force at a friend's place. Not been to see them yet :)

PS mrsB...the sun is cracking the rocks in Loughborough :D

Faithkat

Visit site
Mine's out all the time and I've been moving her round. I sectioned off the fields with electric fencing and as she churns up one bit so she gets moved to another so she can churn that one up! However, I wouldn't be getting too excited about the use of the past tense in the post heading . . . . . it was below freezing here last night and similar forecasts well into next week so although it might be sunny and almost attaining double plus figures during the day, I wouldn't really say winter is over just yet . . . . . "ne'er cast a clout" and all that. Interestingly though, I had frog spawn in the "lakes" in the field before the end of January which is the earliest I've ever seen it in the 10 years I've had the field.

Clodagh

Visit site
It being that narrow window of opportunity when the grass tracks are dried out enough to ride on but not too hard to canter we have just had a blast! Two long steady canters then a full on gallop up the last half mile...woo hoo! Nothing like it.
And I love the idea of the brighter the butterfly the better the summer, I saw a brimstone too.
Not so good springwatch a mink had my broody hen off her nest yesterday. But the minkhounds are meeting here today! (They were anyway, we diodn't do an emergency call out). Of course they don't hunt the mink but if they scent one we can mark it.