Wrapping cooling clay with Cling Film?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Should this be done? I use Equimins cooling leg clay and it says it can be wrapped with cling film or brown paper to stay cooler for longer?

And how long should this be left on for? In the past Ive just put it on the legs and not covered with anything, washed it off the next day.

If its covered with cling film, is it safe to leave overnight? I just wonder if the cling film stops the legs breathing (ie. they'll get hot!).

spaniel

Visit site
Personally I prefer the good old fashioned brown paper method. Id worry about breathability with clingfilm too.

And what else are you going to do with the inner liners of old feed sacks anyhow??
grin.gif

lizzie_liz

Visit site
do the same as loupride, and it works for us. am sceptical about cling film and knowing me i would make a dogs dinner of it!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Usually I only put on the clay when I get home, but most of the time I am competing very close to home. I use a cooling gel for straight after a round.

However this week we are eventing and we will be travelling a longer distance so yes I will wrap in damp brown paper, cover with padding and bandage for the return journey.
grin.gif

dotty1

Visit site
Please don't use cling film, I saw a nasty wound from this. The cling film had slipped and made itself into a very strong piece of string which then tightened around the pastern, cutting right through the flesh like a knife. When it eventually healed the horse had a white scar all the way round the pastern.

parsley

Visit site
I was concerned about this - the vet told me to wrap my boys leg in cling film with some cream he gave me to remove scabs and then bandage. I did it once but by morning the cling film had slipped into a ring around his pastern. Fortunatly no damage was done but I havn't tried it again.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
do you guys always use clay gel after competitions??? Getting a bit concerned, as i dont really, but now thinking maybe i should be taking a bit more care of my girly and getting some....:)

TURBOBERT

Visit site
We use - Cool Boots ( forgotten their name but you soak them in water for an hour before applying Poly something) then before putting them back on the lorry apply Clay with BE numbe rover then Gamgee and bandages. Seems to have worked so far!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Right then - NO cling film! Thats fine, Ive never tried it but Id heard some people either used cling film or brown paper.

I think Ill just wrap in the inner feed sacking (thanks for the tip Spaniel!).

MrMagoo - I think it depends what sort of level your doing, or what the ground is like etc. I am going a little overboard on the cooling thing purely because my boys got windgalls and one splint and the ground is SO hard right now. I never used to use any cooling stuff on the legs when I was younger. But now we're doing Novice level BE I feel his legs are feeling the wear and tear a little. And we have the RC horse trial champs coming up which involve 2 vettings which Im very wary about so I need to do everything I can to stop him getting stiff etc.

Usually I wash off the legs (whilst washing horse) with a cooling type rinse. Then put on cooling boots straight away (although my ones have gone bust so thats why Ive been asking for recommendations on here), then after 20 mins I let his legs dry off (or towel dry) then put on Equimins Leg Cool clay which I have tended to just let dry but I dont think this is whats meant to happen, so wrapping with brown paper should help.

So people - at the 3DE Im doing next week - do you think I should leave the clay and brown paper on overnight and wash off like an hour before my vetting time??

loopeepee

Visit site
Defo use brown paper - I hate the idea of using cling film.
However, recently I have go off using cooling clay, ie Ice Tight, and converted back to cooling boots, because I personally think they have a better affect.

Weezy

Visit site
THere isnt anything wrong with using cling flim on legs as a rule - for mud fever especially and I have never had a prob with it slipping - however I wouldnt use cling flim with a cooling product as it defeats the object in the first place IMO!