Written prescriptions

Sandstone1

Visit site
Abit of food for thought... My vets just advertised a new scheme where you pay a sum of money each month as almost a subscription amount. This then includes teeth, regular 'MOT', ALL prescriptions and vaccinations... Do we think it's worth it?
Depends how much it is. Would need to work out cheaper.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, yes, that is my understanding too. I think that *my friend* needs to make further enquiries as to why this practice is going against the grain in declining to issue prescriptions.
Update.

It turns out that the issue was with issuing a prescription for an injectable POM, such as the Cartrophen that was being enquired about. Although the practice are happy for their client to give this by intramuscular injection at home when they have dispensed it themselves, they do not think it appropriate to write up a prescription for it. Who would be responsible if there was an abscess at the injection site etc etc?

A compromise has been found. They will price match the on line pharmacy cost for the 4 bottle course, even though it means selling it at a loss.

There is no problem with issuing prescriptions for the usual prascend and Danilon oral meds, though I’m not sure what the cost will be.

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks for asking the question TP, it’s something I’ve wondered (I once asked my vets and they rather evaded the question!)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Does anyone’s vet practice not issue prescriptions?

*Asking for a friend*
Yes !! It really really annoys me ! I know they are supposed to but for love nor money I can’t get my vet to write me a prescription for something which is far cheaper online.

eggs

Visit site
I think mine is £25 too - they will also only do me 6 months worth whereas my old vet would do 12.

My vet had given me a prescription for canine Metacam with two repeats. I ordered the second repeat but was told by the company (think it was Pet Drugs Online) that a prescription is only valid for six months from when it is written even though I still had a repeat on it. Teach me to be more organised as I was five days over the six months

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My vet had given me a prescription for canine Metacam with two repeats. I ordered the second repeat but was told by the company (think it was Pet Drugs Online) that a prescription is only valid for six months from when it is written even though I still had a repeat on it. Teach me to be more organised as I was five days over the six months

Yes I made the same mistake with some Bute, miscounted months. This was with Vetimed. This ties in with the vet having to see the horse every 6 months to keep prescribing.

My vet is good though about writing it out with only a quick glance and short conversation if he's on the yard without charging an examination fee but I would imagine this depends very much on the condition whether more detailed follow up is needed.