Wrong canter lead on lunge

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Friday afternoon is lunging time for Teg my Welsh D and very much enjoyed by both of us.

I have noticed that when she is on the right rein she always gets the correct leg in canter but on the left rein she invariably sets off on the wrong leg so I bring her back to trot and ask for canter again but it can take 3 or 4 attempts to get her to strike off correctly (though I was pleased to see her correct herself with a flying change this afternoon )

So how do I tackle this?
Do I continue with what I am doing - to bring her back to trot etc?
Is there some way I can help her to strike off correctly?
Will it simply improve with practice?

She was backed last summer so is a bit green.

CMequestrian

Visit site
Have a quick flick through google, there's quite a lot to help, depending on what works best for your horse.

I like to use a pole in the corner and ask for canter as the horse goes over :)

weeanne

Visit site
Does she get it wrong when u ride her? My welsh d is the same. You need 2 get a better left bend I have in the past lunged him in side reins and made the inside 1 slightly shorter 2 get the bend I dont really like using them and dont have them short and always warm up and down with out them. Other ppl might not agree tho

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Use two reins to lunge, and do lots and lots of transitions, all gaits, not just the canter, some horses take a while to learn to bend, as they are so stiff and one sided.
Once a week is probably enough for a young horse, but lots of transitions ridden will help her to develop strength and balance.