Wussies go cross country!*Report*

AprilBlossom

Visit site
So marmalade76 brought her pone over for a sleepover this weekend, as finally there was a fun ride that wasn't cancelled to attend, and logistically it was easier to go from one yard.

Handily, a couple of keen teens (everyone needs these in their lives) took G and S for a nice hack on Saturday, followed by a bath so we had shiny steeds with the edge taken off for us old, less brave riders ;)

After a worrying drive across Cheltenham, we arrived about 15 minutes before last horses so whilst marm parked up I went and paid our entries, thankful we weren't too late! It was here I met a very friendly lady named Kay (if you're on HHO, hi!!) who was by herself and looking for company, so we agreed to mount up and move off together.

Billy Big Balls here decided she'd try to mount her 17h + steed from the ground...did not go so well...and after a failed attempt clambered on from the trailer ramp, happily finding G was not in a 'hoorah, let's go sideways everywhere very fast' mood! Marmalade, owning a much more suitably sized pocket rocket of a pony hopped on board with ease and we met Kay and her beautiful grey IDx.

The sun was shining and there were no other riders nearby - in fact, I only saw about 6 others in total - BIG advantage to turning up at last orders those of you who are nervy of being passed/passing others :) and although there weren't many jumps in sight, there was a nice gradual hill that had 'gallop here' almost written on it. G then decided to launch himself off at warpspeed before quickly remembering his age, proceeding to be overtaken by both others then huff and blow for a good 5 minutes, worrying me a little that I was asking a bit much of him :S

Saw a few fence lines handily placed along a seperate track running parallel to the main route, but decided was too much of a weener to jump any yet so continued merrily past in search of a nice friendly first fence. Luckily, Kay decided she was going to jump a reasonably sized but inviting roll top and pootled off over it, causing enough peer pressure for me to stop faffing and point my horse at a jump - he was fab! Marm also hopped over neatly, with a little whoop of surprise at herself for just getting on with it I think ;)

Feeling more in the zone, we arrived at the hill crest looking down at Deer park XC course, where the rest of the jumping activity would take place (crapped myself a little bit if I'm honest!). The entrance to the park was over a small fence upon which a sign said 'kick on and sit back!' EEEK! I don't know why I worried, we were all over fine, although I need much more practise jumping drop fences as jarred my knee a little on landing :( whoops.

Kay showed us up by making it through (literally!) a hedge both of us failed to ride at with enough guts to even hint at a jumping attempt, so defeat was admitted as we went round and through a gate. Boo.

After a swift refreshment stop we were let loose on the XC course, which by being late, we had to ourselves. Kay went off by herself for a play, cleverly realising her superior braveness, whilst Marmalade and I set off at a gentler pace, occassionally with I taking the slightly bigger neighbouring fence, purely because I was on a much bigger mount!

We tackled a few logs and a ditch combination, the water was no problem, however I failed to ride up a set of steps on my ex SJer who was not impressed with a) my riding and b) the obstacle he had to carry me up.

After gradually increasing in confidence and jump size, we had a lovely run of a few fences which I think we both actually rode confidently over, ending on a massive high, and two rather tired steeds. A nice wander back to the finish for our only rosettes of the year and a chat about how we'd have confidently jumped the aforementioned hedge after the XC sesh.

We have plans to go back and have another bash soon, hopefully with a cameraperson so pics to follow - wont be exciting (unless I fall off!) but a 'normal' wuss's report - there must be more of you out there like us! ;)

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Do you know, I should've offered to be cameraman, why didn't I think of that? I did pretty much nothing yesterday too! Oops! Next time! Sounds like you had a fab time!

marmalade76

Visit site
Excellent report, love it! You'll all be pleased to hear that we didn't pass a single rider *insert smug smilie here* It was, indeed, a fantastic day and for anyone interested, there is another fun ride at Deer Park on the 30th, I would highly recommend it.

I have to point out that the whoops were of fear and of horror at my dreadful riding, not of joy :eek:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sounds like a great ride :D I'm very jealous, I'd love to join you guys if I were over there in the depths of the west!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
\Sounds like a good one - what was the ground like? I've heard less than positive comments about Deer Park and it put me off a bit.

Their next one is the same weekend as Ciren Park and I *think* we're headed there as we missed the last one and it's much closer for us.

marmalade76

Visit site
\Sounds like a good one - what was the ground like? I've heard less than positive comments about Deer Park and it put me off a bit.

Their next one is the same weekend as Ciren Park and I *think* we're headed there as we missed the last one and it's much closer for us.

The ground was perfect, it usually drains well in that area. I'm not sure what you've heard about it, but the only thing I heard that folks weren't keen on (apart from the lane up to it, which is quite narrow and up hill) was a new water (there are two waters) that was lined with concrete (sp?). This has never been used in any of the comps I've done there and on a fun ride you choose what you do and don't jump, so it wouldn't be a problem. There are sooo many jumps there at so many sizes so there's something for eveyone.

I wouldn't mind going to Ciren, but it's quite a bit further for me and I think the entry was quite steep last time.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Marmalade, if we can tackle the air balloon hill, Ciren shouldn't take any longer than Deer Park as quicker straight roads?

Wish I could do the next one, G would enjoy going out to play again too :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
The ground was perfect, it usually drains well in that area. I'm not sure what you've heard about it, but the only thing I heard that folks weren't keen on (apart from the lane up to it, which is quite narrow and up hill) was a new water (there are two waters) that was lined with concrete (sp?). This has never been used in any of the comps I've done there and on a fun ride you choose what you do and don't jump, so it wouldn't be a problem. There are sooo many jumps there at so many sizes so there's something for eveyone.

I wouldn't mind going to Ciren, but it's quite a bit further for me and I think the entry was quite steep last time.

There were some comments on one of the local FB pages saying the ground on the XC course wasn't great - I'm never sure what to believe on those though!
Sounds like it's a good one so will definitely bear it in mind. I'm surprised that they'd line a water in concrete - doesn't sound like a good idea to me but as you say it's easy to avoid on a ride. It also sounds like there are more jump choices - I'm not sure that there are so many height variations at CP (although have only ever ridden in there and jumped random fences not on a ride).

AprilBlossom

Visit site
LL, I also didn't find any fault with the ground, it was very good all round IMO. I do think I enjoyed it even more though because we had the whole place to ourselves, being almost the very last on the ride :D

marmalade76

Visit site
Marmalade, if we can tackle the air balloon hill, Ciren shouldn't take any longer than Deer Park as quicker straight roads?

I'm not sure, I really don't want to kill my vehicle, and don't forget that going down can be as bad as going up. There other ways to Ciren, though, but all go through Chelt.

Anyway, I thought you were busy that weekend??

Last edited: