WWYD ? Anal gland cancer

Asha

Visit site
I got lots of support from you all when we had the diagnosis for Wallace, so thought id ask you all what you would do ?

He was diagnosed last year, as well as having arthritis. The arthritis is in all his limbs now. He was doing great on the meds until a few weeks ago, so we took him back to the vets, they examined him and basically said there's nothing else they can do but up his meds to maximum levels. This has really helped, and he looks happy, and even playful again.

This is what i see - mostly happy, eating very well, drinking lots, sleeps a lot, and mainly lies down. He will have a tootle about, usually for a wee, and then chills out either by the stables or in the house ( he still has the odd crazy moment and enjoys a bit of rough play with me for 5 mins). Vet has said not to walk him, and to make sure he rests most of the time. The things ive noticed over the past few weeks, after eating he will choke / gag a bit. It happened last night after a small treat ( thats a first usually just after meal ) , he is asking for his tummy rubbed a lot. It can feel quite swollen, but not all the time, he is trumping a lot. He grumbles a lot, when i say grumble, i dont mean growl, its almost a loud sigh.

Ive said we should get his tummy scanned/ xrayed. But husband says whats the point. He says we know whats wrong and just enjoy the time we have left. But what if its totally unrelated ? I dont want him to have any unnecessary treatment, as he doesnt do well away from home. But surely an xray could be done within a day

What do you all think ? Thanks

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
X ray then make a decision. If it’s a worse case scenario, I’d pts ASAP. Rather a day sooner and all that, it’s what we did with one of ours, although he also had spinal tumours. It sounds like he’s not particularly comfortable. Finding out exactly what’s wrong isn’t the point. Finding out that he’s tolerating a lot of pain is.

Asha

Visit site
X ray then make a decision. If it’s a worse case scenario, I’d pts ASAP. Rather a day sooner and all that, it’s what we did with one of ours, although he also had spinal tumours. It sounds like he’s not particularly comfortable. Finding out exactly what’s wrong isn’t the point. Finding out that he’s tolerating a lot of pain is.

you’ve hit the nail on the head , and that’s what I’m worried about . Thank you .

meleeka

Visit site
Can they see via a scan? When my old dog was suspected of having a tumour they scanned which only requires light sedation (actually she was so good I don’t think they sedated at all) which could be kinder than a full sedation. It would be easier on you if you explained to the vet that if it’s really bad to pts there and then so you aren’t in the position of having to decide. I think you just have to know where your cut off point is and that makes it easier to make the call when it’s time.

Asha

Visit site
Can they see via a scan? When my old dog was suspected of having a tumour they scanned which only requires light sedation (actually she was so good I don’t think they sedated at all) which could be kinder than a full sedation. It would be easier on you if you explained to the vet that if it’s really bad to pts there and then so you aren’t in the position of having to decide. I think you just have to know where your cut off point is and that makes it easier to make the call when it’s time.

ive had it in my head , that when he goes off his food / stops playing that must be the time to let him go . It genuinely never occurred to me that we would need to PTS when he still looks so happy most of the time .

I will ask about a scan , and see if that’s easier for him . I really don’t want him staying in the vets for too long as he just doesn’t do well away from home .

thank you

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our Rotter had an ultra sound scan without any sedation to find out how far her tumour had spread but she looked on a visit to the surgery as a day out to see her old friends and make new ones. If he needs an x-ray he won't really be aware of how long he is at the surgery.

{97702}

Visit site
Im afraid sadly for me he is showing a lot of signs that are saying he isn’t comfortable most of the time, even without the stomach problems - it isn’t normal for a dog to be drinking a lot, mainly lying down and sleeping a lot, and he does sound to be in pain now. I would make the decision now for him if he were mine, although it’s very hard for us as owners it is the kindest thing for the dog

SusieT

Visit site
If he is content at home , eating, moving around and relaxed - and if an x-ray/scan would not change what you do - i.e you would do surgery- what is the benefit in putting him through a day at the vets ? I normally say speak to you vet but in the case of an elderly dog who is on his last legs I'd wonder if its worth the visit when it wont change the outcome.. but that's just me

Asha

Visit site
If he is content at home , eating, moving around and relaxed - and if an x-ray/scan would not change what you do - i.e you would do surgery- what is the benefit in putting him through a day at the vets ? I normally say speak to you vet but in the case of an elderly dog who is on his last legs I'd wonder if its worth the visit when it wont change the outcome.. but that's just me

that’s my husbands theory too. I’m just concerned that the cancer has spread and he’s in more pain than he’s showing , or on a positive note that it hasn’t spread and it’s a minor issue that we can sort out .
I want to do what’s best for him , I just wish Wallace could tell me what to do x

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
In your shoes, I would do the veterinarian visit on Monday. If you worry about if the cancer has spread/unrelated tumours have turned up, or in best case scenario something unrelated but fixable have turned up, then a veterinarian visit sounds to be in his best interest.

If you decide to do an x-ray or scan, does he really have to stay the whole day? Considering his known problems, would it not possible for them to wiggle their routines a little, and maybe you, for example, could pick him up again after lunch?
But even if he has to stay the whole day, I think you should do it. If it had been a question about him having to spend the night at the veterinarians, then I would be more reluctant, since he doesn't do well when away from home.

I hope you can give him some favourite foods, have a good weekend together, and fingers crossed for Monday.
{{{Hugs}}}

Asha

Visit site
We went to the vets today . Senior vet said he didn’t see any point in scanning him . In his view , he looks too happy to be in pain. He also says that as he’s eating he can’t have any pain in his stomach . He believes the time to worry is when he stops eating . He doesn’t think scanning / x ray is in his best interests . He believes Wallace has us all well trained , and we just need to let him be . He was more than happy that he isn’t suffering at he minute . So husband was right !

Asha

Visit site
I have to admit that reading the words "husband was right" is not usually something which makes me feel happy, but apparently there is exceptions. I hope you get lots of quality time together, with plenty of tummy rubbing, even though I presume you always would have wanted more.

Thanks . we where all relieved that he was right and that basically I’m one on those paranoid owners . The vet told me to stop looking for issues , and enjoy the time we have . I will do as I’m told ??. I’m back on tummy rubbing duties . Wallace has me well trained

deb_l222

Visit site
Thanks . we where all relieved that he was right and that basically I’m one on those paranoid owners . The vet told me to stop looking for issues , and enjoy the time we have . I will do as I’m told ??. I’m back on tummy rubbing duties . Wallace has me well trained

My vet said to me quite recently, "unfortunately I can't turn back time and conjure you a younger version". Which pretty much sums up what yours said. Enjoy the moments, days, weeks, months, years you have left with your woof.

I thinks scans, x-rays etc are all well and good and have their place but for elderly dogs, I often question the point. Would it change your decision? Probably not, so why put them through it.

You will know when the time is right. It will be rubbish but you will know you have done everything you can to make him comfortable.