WWYD Dressage test. Wrong score!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Ok it’s only an Intro B but it was a local RC Championship and only my second test on the big ginge. I’ve spent 3 years hacking and only got transport a few months ago. I haven’t ridden a test for 7 years up to that point. So for me fairly important.

I came second. Yay! Just got back to the yard and looked through my scores in detail and my total score is 13.5 marks lower than it should be. Moreover I’m unclear how the percentage was reached in the first place because it doesn’t add up. At first I thought never mind but then the person who won runs a local stables so not exactly a novice grateful for a rosette. So I feel less generous. Of course if all the results are wrong the end result may be the same anyway.

I’ve messaged the person scoring (one of the main committee) I can’t get hold of anyone else so I’ve had to put a message on their page to contact me.

Would you bother following it up? I sort of feel it’s not exactly the olympics but then again I should have been scored properly with the correct placing. ?

SOS

Visit site
Are you sure you’ve taken into account the collectives and double marks when working out the percentage?

If it was me, I’d get a friend experienced with dressage sheets to double check - I’m sure someone on here can for you. And then I’d tell the venue. Less to get a placing but more just a ‘by the way’.

However if you do compete again please realise that everyone has their own goals. Just because someone runs a stable doesn’t mean the horse, their confidence or their competing experience shouldn’t be in that class. It’s the beauty of our sport that you compete against all different people, makes it even more special when you do place.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Are you sure you’ve taken into account the collectives and double marks when working out the percentage?

If it was me, I’d get a friend experienced with dressage sheets to double check - I’m sure someone on here can for you. And then I’d tell the venue. Less to get a placing but more just a ‘by the way’.

However if you do compete again please realise that everyone has their own goals. Just because someone runs a stable doesn’t mean the horse, their confidence or their competing experience shouldn’t be in that class. It’s the beauty of our sport that you compete against all different people, makes it even more special when you do place.

I know exactly how to score I used to run dressage shows for the riding club and always did the scoring as nobody else wanted to do it as it is difficult to be accurate. I’ve only seen my score so I’ve no idea what others have got as contrary to what I used to do they don’t seem to put the full results up.

As to the RS manager I meant more she’s a professional and won’t get upset by placing unlike a kiddy or novice. I’m not a novice myself I’m just not a professional. Personally winning something I’m not entitled to doesn’t float my boat.

MissTyc

Visit site
I'd definitely let them know. Most competitions have rules that you have to lodge your contest within an hour of the results, or something, so it's possible that nothing may come of it, but they do need to know if they've made a mistake.

SOS

Visit site
I know exactly how to score I used to run dressage shows for the riding club and always did the scoring as nobody else wanted to do it as it is difficult to be accurate. I’ve only seen my score so I’ve no idea what others have got as contrary to what I used to do they don’t seem to put the full results up.

I didn’t mean to offend you, your OP said you hadn’t ridden a test in seven years so wrongly assumed you didn’t have much test experience. :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I didn’t mean to offend you, your OP said you hadn’t ridden a test in seven years so wrongly assumed you didn’t have much test experience. :)

I was a bit offended but then I remembered I asked for opinions ?.

I haven’t done any dressage since my old boy retired from dressage 7 years ago. I’ve only done a handful of showing shows since. Prior to that I did a fair amount of only unaffiliated just getting to Ele before lameness. So reasonably experienced but rusty and a bit wimpy. ?

Reactions: SOS

Nicnac

Visit site
Difficult but as not within the time to lodge an objection don't think you'll have much luck. It's probable that, as you said, all the scores are wrong. Unless they took photos of all the test sheets, they wouldn't correct all the scores now.

It's a bummer and why I always quickly add up my sheet as soon as I collect it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Difficult but as not within the time to lodge an objection don't think you'll have much luck. It's probable that, as you said, all the scores are wrong. Unless they took photos of all the test sheets, they wouldn't correct all the scores now.

It's a bummer and why I always quickly add up my sheet as soon as I collect it.
Yes probably- I should have checked as soon as I got them. Lesson learnt!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I messaged the scorer within 1.5hrs of the scores being given out with screenshots. They’ve not read my message. I put a message to call me on their FB page. I also rang one of the other committee members who did eventually ring me back and said they would speak to the person doing the scoring. I haven’t heard anything since. It’s not one or 2 points out it’s 13.5!

I know it’s a difficult job and I’ve made mistakes doing it but always got people to check my scoring and published them openly not just percentages. I’ve also corrected anything and taken any flak. I used to be the Chairperson and chief scorer. I guess for me it’s about being fair. It’s sort of taken the shine off a good day but I’ll get over it ??

teddypops

Visit site
Well done! I have twice been marked really wrongly so now check my score as soon as I get my sheet, once the judge just didn’t give me a mark for my final halt and another time, all the scores which should have been x2 weren’t!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The big ginge.
JiLwz4w.jpg

jjeIX5V.jpg

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Always worth checking your scores. I ran a low level, unaffiliated, virtual dressage last February. I was completely blindsided with the amount of entries. I'd expected 15 and got 40. By the end of the judging my brain was fried. I got 1 score wrong. The person should have been 2nd and I put her 4th. She put it all over social media despite me offering recompense - a free entry into the following month and the correct rosette - which she turned down. It was a genuine mistake and they happen xx I've ran a few more since and they've all gone smoothly.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Always worth checking your scores. I ran a low level, unaffiliated, virtual dressage last February. I was completely blindsided with the amount of entries. I'd expected 15 and got 40. By the end of the judging my brain was fried. I got 1 score wrong. The person should have been 2nd and I put her 4th. She put it all over social media despite me offering recompense - a free entry into the following month and the correct rosette - which she turned down. It was a genuine mistake and they happen xx I've ran a few more since and they've all gone smoothly.
That’s horrible. Once one of my helpers at a dressage show used an accounting calculator that rounded all the percentages up or down to a round figure. I was looking at the scores and thought it was odd. We had to redo them but cocked up the first class. It’s a really hard job and you don’t need any distractions.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well I’ve heard back and they’ve used the correct score to calculate the percentage but unfortunately wrote a completely different one on my score sheet. So at least I can properly celebrate my second knowing it was deserved.

Well done for getting out there for the first time in 7 years! You did great.

rara007

Visit site
Eugh I hate these things. I don’t know the BD rules but driving we have 30min to appeal. I’d chalk it down to experience and remember to check in the future, but also be quite upset about it but appreciate human error does occur.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think any objection has to be done straight away.

I found out the hard way, I was 4th in a class (slightly surprised having watched some of the other tests!) but was a bit stressed as I was trying to manage horse and packing up with no-one to help, so didn't check until much later at home and added up the marks I was 10 points short, so I should have won a nice shiny cup, but thought that it taught me a lesson. It was just a simple competition, add up the marks, none of the % or other things that might have made a difference.

If it was a bit more upmarket you might ask them to check.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well I’ve heard back and they’ve used the correct score to calculate the percentage but unfortunately wrote a completely different one on my score sheet. So at least I can properly celebrate my second knowing it was deserved.

Sorry late to this, but was the placing you received the correct one according to your proper score? I am another who always checks my score as soon as I see my sheet. And have pointed out mistakes both ways - either too low or too high. The accountant in me needs to have it correct!! Well done on a good day out despite this.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Sorry late to this, but was the placing you received the correct one according to your proper score? I am another who always checks my score as soon as I see my sheet. And have pointed out mistakes both ways - either too low or too high. The accountant in me needs to have it correct!! Well done on a good day out despite this.

I think so although I’ve only know my own score. The percentage was correct if the right score was used. I’m not sure why a different score was written on the sheet though ?‍♀ That’s what totally threw me.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Human error. It does happen I have scored at various competitions and with the best will in the world mistakes do happen which is why it is good to have two people double checking each other. It gets even more difficult when there is more than one judge!!!