WWYD: educate or ditch?

Joggi71

Visit site
Hi, I recently advertised for someone to exercise my horse for me during the week, in an effort to get her fit and keep her active. She is a 16hh, 17yo, Appaloosa, who I have had for 10 years. I found someone local (who I know a bit) and two weeks ago she started riding her on weekdays while I am at work. She came to try her initially and I walked out with her to check she could ride. My feeling was that she was a tiny bit novice, but as she was just doing walk / trot work in the lanes and my horse is fantastic in any traffic I figured she couldn't go far wrong (we have no bridle paths to speak of locally so difficult to get off the lanes).

Prior to her starting riding two weeks ago my horse had been pretty much out at grass except for an occasional hack as my job is very busy. I explained that she needed fittening slowly, starting mostly in walk then building up trot work over a few weeks, a minute or two to begin with and building up longer trot work after 3 weeks, then incorporating hill work.

Today a friend rode out with her and she has told me that she trots everywhere flat out, and cantered her on the road twice, the first time for a minute and a half, and the second time for half a mile, up hill, followed by a flat out trot another quarter mile to home.

I am livid, but can't decide if she is just an utter idiot, or more of a novice than I thought and I should have been clearer in what she could/could not do? I also have a tendency to react before I think, so am trying to be cautious in my reaction and give it 24 hours before I decide how to handle this.

So, WWYD? Try to educate a novice rider that this is unacceptable (my horse has some sidebone which I have for 10 years been very cautious with, especially on hard ground/roads) and explain the reasons why this is unacceptable. Or just tell her it's not working out and cancel the arrangement.

Thanks for your input!

Equi

Visit site
She would be told that she won't be riding again. Anyone who rides an unfit horse at flat out trot on the road doesn't deserve it, but then to find they CANTER it on the road..? Just no. The horse is going to get seriously hurt (or she will get hurt and blame the horse and sue you)

Bye bye to her.

Last edited:

Joggi71

Visit site
Thanks guys, that was my feeling too. I can't imagine how hideous that half mile canter must have been for my horse, poor girl. She won't be riding her again.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Ditch her, but give yourself enough time to be calm when you speak to her. My older mare has had her tendon blown recently by a loaner who decided to hammer her in the school. Loaner had been great with mare the first 2 times she came (when I was watching her like a hawk), took advice on board and seemed to care about mares welfare. The minute I relaxed she cantered mare til she was dripping and puffing and did her leg. My mare was fairly fit and used to working as well, and she's still ended up out of work for the winter.

I was livid with my (ex) loaner, can imagine you're the same. I had to wait 36 hours to calm down before I rang her to sack her off.

Barnacle

Visit site
What was the horse doing prior to being out on grass? Horses actually stay very fit kept out - studies comparing stabled horses in work to those kept out 24/7 suggest they actually maintain their fitness just as well. I'm not suggesting your sharer knows this but perhaps she noticed the horse wasn't exhausted by trotting and simply did things at the horse's pace. May not be the case at all of course - perhaps your horse is coming back dripping and has always been a pasture ornament - I have no idea of your situation. Just a different perspective to consider :) The cantering on the road, however - or even just trotting a lot on the road, if that's what she is doing - needs to be stopped and is idiotic. With that though she may genuinely just not realise the damage it could cause. If this were my horse, I'd confront her and go from there. I'm not sure outright ditching her is fair or wise if she's been working for you otherwise as good sharers are hard to come by and I'm sure she means well. On the other hand, I would not commit to educating her either... See how she reacts to bring confronted and then decide if you want to continue dealing with her.

Joggi71

Visit site
She'd been out to grass essentially for 2 years, pasture ornament isn't far from the truth :( Mostly hacking and a bit of hunting a couple of years ago, was the last time she was fit. Trust me, she was unfit, I know the difference!!!

I do wonder if she just genuinely doesn't know the damage this could do. But my feeling is that it doesn't matter whether she is naive and novice, or just couldn't care less, I'm not sure I want her riding my horse.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi, I recently advertised for someone to exercise my horse for me during the week, in an effort to get her fit and keep her active. She is a 16hh, 17yo, Appaloosa, who I have had for 10 years. I found someone local (who I know a bit) and two weeks ago she started riding her on weekdays while I am at work. She came to try her initially and I walked out with her to check she could ride. My feeling was that she was a tiny bit novice, but as she was just doing walk / trot work in the lanes and my horse is fantastic in any traffic I figured she couldn't go far wrong (we have no bridle paths to speak of locally so difficult to get off the lanes).

Prior to her starting riding two weeks ago my horse had been pretty much out at grass except for an occasional hack as my job is very busy. I explained that she needed fittening slowly, starting mostly in walk then building up trot work over a few weeks, a minute or two to begin with and building up longer trot work after 3 weeks, then incorporating hill work.

Today a friend rode out with her and she has told me that she trots everywhere flat out, and cantered her on the road twice, the first time for a minute and a half, and the second time for half a mile, up hill, followed by a flat out trot another quarter mile to home.

I am livid, but can't decide if she is just an utter idiot, or more of a novice than I thought and I should have been clearer in what she could/could not do? I also have a tendency to react before I think, so am trying to be cautious in my reaction and give it 24 hours before I decide how to handle this.

So, WWYD? Try to educate a novice rider that this is unacceptable (my horse has some sidebone which I have for 10 years been very cautious with, especially on hard ground/roads) and explain the reasons why this is unacceptable. Or just tell her it's not working out and cancel the arrangement.

Thanks for your input!

Ditch her no

respect for your horse

acorn92x

Visit site
She wouldn't be allowed within 10 miles of my horse if she was doing things like that. Ditch her before something even more serious happens, this sounds like an accident/injury waiting to happen.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Don't feel bad about ditching her - your responsibility is to your horse, not her feelings. I'd explain to her that what she did was unacceptable and no one would be happy with their horse being cantered on the roads.

Joggi71

Visit site
Only found out late last night, been up to turn her out this morning and am *******ING FUMING now. Her off fore proximal sesamoid ligament is swollen and hot, and both her hind fetlocks are filled (but no heat).

In the 10 years I've had her she's never been lame.

I defo need a few hours to calm down now before I call her. She defo won't be riding her again.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Sorry to hear about this mornings discovery but why on earth did the person riding with her not control the ride- surely the accompanying rider must have cantered on the road/trotted excessively in order to keep up with her? I question the motivation of folk "telling tales" of others..is it possible the accompanying rider encouraged your rider?

fatpiggy

Visit site
Sorry to hear about this mornings discovery but why on earth did the person riding with her not control the ride- surely the accompanying rider must have cantered on the road/trotted excessively in order to keep up with her? I question the motivation of folk "telling tales" of others..is it possible the accompanying rider encouraged your rider?

I agree. I wouldn't have cantered my own horse on the road, so I wouldn't allow someone who didn't even own the animal do the same to the one they were sitting on. Why did the "friend" go along with it?

Anyway, before I read the last OP post, I would have said ditch, ditch and ditch.

Joggi71

Visit site
The "friend" was actually a minor (teenage step child) and felt very uncomfortable about it, but didn't know what to say at the time, being quite shy. They told me as soon as I walked in the door from work. Yes the minor also cantered as couldn't hold their horse back but said they never want to ride with her again. Am framing the convo in mind and will call this morning to cancel the arrangement.

SuperH

Visit site
Ditch. You specifically told her about increasing work gradually as well as sounding like she isn't really in control. There will be someone more suitable out there even if you have to wait a while to find them you (and horse) will be happier in the long run.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would tell her you don't want her to ride anymore .
I would be really interested to find what on earth she thought she was doing .
Hose your horses legs twice a day and hopefully they will settle down .
I hope it's nothing serious just over exertion and it settle quickly .

Floxie

Visit site
Ugh, I hope she recovers quickly. I'm afraid I'm another nosey one who desperately wants an update when you've spoken to her - I just can't imagine what she was thinking!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Ditch. Even if you try to educate all trust is gone & you'd always be worried about what she was up to.
I'd also be suggesting she pays for the vet bill.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My livery shared her horse with a guy, he saw me lunging and thought he would loose school horse. Horse came in foaming and breathing heavely, so owners band them from lunging.

Trouble was i cannot lunge pony with roller till bloods taken again for liver, the sharer saw mine bronking and thought ok i do the same.

However you should always check with an owner before you do anything. My mare, the first one was hammered down to Black Park to get the hour hacking done and her legs really suffered. It's is one thing doing a slow sensible limited trot/ jog but hammering is a no. No unless!!!!!!!! ...........

Your an ethnic minority of the mobile kind who hammer their horses down the rd with no respect thought to the legs.

This person has to learn a lesson from this, grow up - be sensible - respects for someones horse - pay thought to damage done through her actions

She will now pay the ultimate price for abusing your trust

Last edited:

Arzada

Visit site
I am livid, but can't decide if she is just an utter idiot, or more of a novice than I thought and I should have been clearer in what she could/could not do?

None of this matters. It's extremely simple. You gave her a fittening plan and she hasn't even come close. She has to go asap

Just seen your update - fingers crossed for your horse

Last edited:

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I hate this. This is why people don't loan their horses. Because of morons like this. I've been riding for a good 3 years properly and still consider myself "novicey" but would never even think of putting a horses health at risk like this, not at all! Especially when you've told her exactly what she should do! Poor OP, sending love and support your way!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ditch and tell her why.

I shared with a lady who had done modern pentathlete. I did not realise until we had a familiarisation day that although she could jump a round of fences she did not know anything else. Not how to fit a halter, saddle up, ride up or down hill or ride on the road.

We ran through tacking up, I walked out on a hack, we talked and then she shared.

The first time out on her own she said that she had a bit of trot, but felt it was really concussive, so she did not canter, as the mare was not wearing Nikes. Now that IS a sharer I could get along with. We shared for ages, and because she had COMMON SENSE it was easy to educate.

You had done a full enough briefing re fittening to your sharer, so IMO the educating had been done. What happened was plain disrespectful and wrong, and I would not have her near my horse again. If she put on a 'poor me' stance I would ask she paid for the vets bill.

Hope the legs go down soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ditch, even the most novicy novice should know not to canter on the road and really she should have asked the accompanying rider what they thought before haring off along the road. I would have given her a very detailed fittening plan, not just told her to take it slowly and build up. I like the sound of Red-1's sharer.

Ceriann

Visit site
Your horse and you explained exactly what you needed her to think about. She ignored it. I would ditch her - you will never trust her even if you could educate her. Hope your horse is ok.

Princess16

Visit site
I too would be fuming. Ditch definitely how the hell could you ever trust her again. She should have respected your wishes.

Hope your poor horse will be OK