WWYD - Farrier

Asha

Visit site
in a bit of a quandary..

Im not one to change willy nilly, but ive had to change farriers over the past couple of years:

Farrier 1 - used him forever, we moved areas 15 years ago, and he had a fair bit of business in the new area. Over the years his business over here dropped off. It ended up with him only coming one day per week, which meant if you had an issue you had to wait a week. Plus he stopped coming, and would just send his apprentice. Which was fine but i just expected him to come every few months to at least check the apprentice work. the 2 issues made me move to a local chap. The work was always fab.

farrier 2 - local chap, after a few months of him starting one of the horses was a bit off . So trip to vets, and basically he had been using shoes too small. So had all feet xrayed,and told him to shoe to xrays. all good for another couple of years. Genuinly nice helpful chap, any issues he would be there same day or even next day. Turned up etc etc. His apprentice trimmed my old mare i didnt see at the time, but he had trimmed her that far back her hoof wall wasnt touching the ground. Box rest for her, two days later another mare had lost a shoe, he came back to refit. While there i showed him what his apprentice had done. Oh dear yes thats a bit short isnt it. He then duly charged me £20 for the refit. a couple of weeks later and the same horse was a bit off again ( the one with the small shoes) , another trip to vets and he had put shoes on that where too small again. X rays done etc etc .Another £350 bill ! So changed farriers. ( mare now has shoes on 2 sizes bigger )

farrier 3 - not so local, agreement was come every 6 weeks, no later as one has to stick to the routine. Work is good, hes polite gets on with the job . Turns up etc. he always books us in 6 weeks after every visit. last week, no sign of him. So i text asking when hes coming he says next Monday.. i say thats too late that will take us up to 8 weeks, ok will come the friday.. which takes us to 7 weeks + 4 days. So i phone another farrier who comes out and does them straight away

This new chap is actually the apprentice of farrier 1, who did the shoes forever and has now set himself up ( the past 4 years i think ). Has a fair bit of business in the area, so coming isnt an issue. Knows me and the horses well, did a fab job, and he has a card machine so i can pay there and then. ( which i love,as having issues with online banking at the minute )

So would you stick with farrier 3,as its the first time hes done that, or switch to farrier 4.

TPO

Visit site
How long have you been using farrier 3 for?

If it's been a length of time with no issues I'd be tempted to give him a second chance. When he is next out ask him to be honest if he will stick to 6wks. If there are reasons he can't guarantee that then at least you have option 4.

The benefits of option 4 are that, I assume, hes more local and would be available in an emergency

Baywonder

Visit site
Personally, I would switch to farrier 4.

Out of all the farriers you have used so far, f4 is the only one you have not had an issue with - either as an apprentice when originally working for farrier 1, or now as an independent farrier. As you say, he knows you and your horses, and as a bonus, payment is easier too. :)

Asha

Visit site
How long have you been using farrier 3 for?

If it's been a length of time with no issues I'd be tempted to give him a second chance. When he is next out ask him to be honest if he will stick to 6wks. If there are reasons he can't guarantee that then at least you have option 4.

The benefits of option 4 are that, I assume, hes more local and would be available in an emergency

It’s been about 12months with farrier 3

TPO

Visit site
It’s been about 12months with farrier 3

If hes been good for 12mths it just comes down to your personal feeling on the matter.

Give him another chance and reiterate the need for a 6wk cycle due to previous vet issues or take a punt that the new fella is as good as farrier 1.

Given the issues that you have abs that you know 3 is doing a good job I'd be tempted to stick with him but safe in the knowledge you have 4 as an option should it anything change

D66

Visit site
Could you ask 3 if it has become difficult for him to get to you, and why? Then say you have the option of using 4, who you know and trust, but would like to stay with 3 if he can make the 6 week intervals. At the same time tell 4 you have liked his work in the past but don't want to let down 3 if he is having temporary difficulties.
That way you could stay on good terms with both of them.
The farriers round here all meet up regularly (well in normal times) and will find out what has been going on. It is not nice to run down past farriers as they will assume you'll do the same to them in time.

Asha

Visit site
Could you ask 3 if it has become difficult for him to get to you, and why? Then say you have the option of using 4, who you know and trust, but would like to stay with 3 if he can make the 6 week intervals. At the same time tell 4 you have liked his work in the past but don't want to let down 3 if he is having temporary difficulties.
That way you could stay on good terms with both of them.
The farriers round here all meet up regularly (well in normal times) and will find out what has been going on. It is not nice to run down past farriers as they will assume you'll do the same to them in time.

I havent run down any farrier. Ive just been factual about what had happened.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would tell farrier 3 that you really do need 6 week intervals and you realise that is difficult for him now but have appreciated his work, thank you very much. Then employ farrier 4. If you need to go back to farrier 3 for any reason, you won't have burned your bridges.

Reacher

Visit site
It might have been a one off. You could give farrier 3 a 2nd chance and use farrier 4 if 3 lets you down again.

Personally I think I’d jump to farrier 4. I am aggrieved by farriers who have been content to let my horses’ feet get too long because they could not keep to the booked appointment.

Asha

Visit site
It might have been a one off. You could give farrier 3 a 2nd chance and use farrier 4 if 3 lets you down again.

Personally I think I’d jump to farrier 4. I am aggrieved by farriers who have been content to let my horses’ feet get too long because they could not keep to the booked appointment.

This is why im cross. The farrier is acutely aware one of mine needs doing without fail every 6 weeks, weve even discussed moving to 5 weeks in the summer as she grows a long toe behind. I totally understand mistakes happen, which is why i asked when he could come, and when he said next Monday i reiterated the issue -that will make it 8 weeks, we booked 6 weeks. Pip needs doing every 6 weeks, to then only be offered a couple of days sooner, made me question his commitment. It was only when i said i had booked someone else to come sooner, did he then offer to come straight away.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Wtf is it with farriers?

I’ve been through very similar, OP, though as far as I know we have not been using the same farriers.

I’m now trimming the neds myself, after yet another farrier no show. Which is not helpful to you as yours are shod. Though any farrier who allows the shoeing interval to go too long when the horse needs doing sooner should be ditched - been there, done that.

Reacher

Visit site
This is why im cross. The farrier is acutely aware one of mine needs doing without fail every 6 weeks, weve even discussed moving to 5 weeks in the summer as she grows a long toe behind. I totally understand mistakes happen, which is why i asked when he could come, and when he said next Monday i reiterated the issue -that will make it 8 weeks, we booked 6 weeks. Pip needs doing every 6 weeks, to then only be offered a couple of days sooner, made me question his commitment. It was only when i said i had booked someone else to come sooner, did he then offer to come straight away.

Yes I feel your pain. I’ve been through similar in the past, and not knowing any better back then , I let the problem go on too long. No improvement even after vet lameness workup and instructions from vet to have short trimming cycle. Hence why now I’m less likely to be giving 2nd chances

chaps89

Visit site
No advice but I feel your pain.
Had a fab farrier, moved out of his area but kept boxing up back to him until covid put a stop to it as they had to close their forge.
Tried a new farrier, lovely, always on time, did a shocking job and had lame horse.
On a new farrier again who does a much better job but he cancelled at 9.30pm on Monday for a 10am shoeing Tuesday. And I can't get hold of him for love nor money since to re-book. Horse is lame and due to go back to the vets, and like yours has to stick to a tight 6 week schedule, but short of finding out his address and camping out in the driveway I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm a bit jealous you have another option, LOL.

In your shoes I'd perhaps ask why its tricky for him to keep to 6 weeks, see what he says and go from there. But having had a farrier who isn't local, if farrier 4 does a good job and is reliable I do think I'd be tempted to make a change

Marigold4

Visit site
This is why I went barefoot. It's not perfect. I get fed up with faffing around with hoofboots, but at least you can give them a little rasp round and keep the comfortable if there's a delay. Pet hate - farriers who won't communicate

Asha

Visit site
Wtf is it with farriers?

I’ve been through very similar, OP, though as far as I know we have not been using the same farriers.

I’m now trimming the neds myself, after yet another farrier no show. Which is not helpful to you as yours are shod. Though any farrier who allows the shoeing interval to go too long when the horse needs doing sooner should be ditched - been there, done that.

No,not the same farrier TP.

Yes I feel your pain. I’ve been through similar in the past, and not knowing any better back then , I let the problem go on too long. No improvement even after vet lameness workup and instructions from vet to have short trimming cycle. Hence why now I’m less likely to be giving 2nd chances

Thats why i posted the detail on the farriers, i gave a second chance to farrier 2, and it backed fire. Ive known the new farrier years and hes a really good lad.

Reactions: TPO

Asha

Visit site
Had a fab farrier, moved out of his area but kept boxing up back to him until covid put a stop to it as they had to close their forge.
Tried a new farrier, lovely, always on time, did a shocking job and had lame horse.
On a new farrier again who does a much better job but he cancelled at 9.30pm on Monday for a 10am shoeing Tuesday. And I can't get hold of him for love nor money since to re-book. Horse is lame and due to go back to the vets, and like yours has to stick to a tight 6 week schedule, but short of finding out his address and camping out in the driveway I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm a bit jealous you have another option, LOL.

In your shoes I'd perhaps ask why its tricky for him to keep to 6 weeks, see what he says and go from there. But having had a farrier who isn't local, if farrier 4 does a good job and is reliable I do think I'd be tempted to make a change

Sorry to hear that chaps89. I think we are lucky in our area, as we are on the edge of different counties so do have a few to choose from. Hope your horse comes right

Ive taken the advice to have a chat with farrier 3. I need to have good think about his response, and go from there

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

FireCracker238

Visit site

Have you tried phoning him from a different number so your name doesn't come up? I've found that works sometimes