WWYD (if anything)? Nipped/bitten on the leg by a dog at a riding school

WandaMare

Visit site
Fransurrey, yes I do totally understand what you are saying and of course preventative measures DO have to be taken. However, if the owners reaction was complete horror at what had happened, plus a lot of convincing me that they would put the necessary controls in place then I would feel that I had quite sufficiently carried out my duty of care. If the owner was complacent, then of course I would report it.

There is a chance that the owner was not aware that this dog would react in this way and would take the necessary action. If someone made this complaint to me and it was my dog, it would not be allowed loose on the yard again, I certainly wouldn't need telling twice!

Fransurrey

Visit site
...However, if the owners reaction was complete horror at what had happened, plus a lot of convincing me that they would put the necessary controls in place then I would feel that I had quite sufficiently carried out my duty of care. If the owner was complacent, then of course I would report it.
From what OP has said, the owner doesn't seem to have done much apart from sent the dog back to his/her bed. I'd say that was complacent, as the next person to enter the shop will be running the same gauntlet. I wouldn't like the owner's chances in court if action was taken, in such a scenario.

Annagain

Visit site
JRTs are funny creatures. We have one our yard. She can have a growl and snap at people - although never makes contact, just warns people off....except me. I have no idea what I have done to deserve her affection, I used to ignore her completely but if she's out when I'm there, she follows me round like, well, a puppy and the second I sit down she's on my lap. If I ignore her she climbs my leg for a cwtch - not even the YO is allowed to pick her up normally! The only time she ever grumbles at me is if I try to put her down before she's ready to go!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My dog nipped the postman once (she had been threatening to bite visitors a few times); he was very nice about it and even apologised for "annoying" her. We had her put down that afternoon. Even though this was on our private property, I still wouldn't keep an unpredictable dog that was not controllable.

WandaMare

Visit site
From what OP has said, the owner doesn't seem to have done much apart from sent the dog back to his/her bed. I'd say that was complacent, as the next person to enter the shop will be running the same gauntlet. I wouldn't like the owner's chances in court if action was taken, in such a scenario.

I don't think we know that the girl was the owner of the dog, she probably just worked there.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Good for you. You've reported the incident, done the right thing.

Now........ stop beating yourself up about it and feeling guilty: THEIR dog, THEIR problem. They know they have the problem and did sweet FA about it; you could have been a kid that got its face bitten badly.

Well done. Go and get yourself a bottle of wine, something naughty like chips or chocolate (or both!!), and relax.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When you say 'if I had acted correctly' I'm not sure what you mean? Isn't whether I report the dog a decision I am free to make...

The reason I would speak to the owner first is that I would want to establish all the facts before I made my decision, for example, was the dog allowed to wander freely or had there been a particular exception where it had run loose. Also, the OP was ok to carry on shopping for her lunge line so in this instance I think a quick word with the owner would be sufficient, but that's just what I would have done, which is the question the OP asked in this thread.

Well then, I hope you have read the response from the dogwarden, upthread. It really isn't your judgement to make, why do you think that the owner would tell you if the dog had bitten someone else previously?

Last edited:

Arzada

Visit site
Experience has taught me that it's wise not to sit under a stuffed and mounted fox head at the local when the people at the neighbouring table have their two JRTs on the seats with them. The attacking JRT launched at speed with full sound effects at the fox head which was above my friend's head. This escapade was later surpassed when both JRTs were on the table licking the plates.

WandaMare

Visit site
Well then, I hope you have read the response from the dogwarden, upthread. It really isn't your judgement to make, why do you think that the owner would tell you if the dog had bitten someone else previously?
Yes I did read the dog warden's comment, I wasn't trying to cause any offence. The OP asked what other posters would do and I put my answer. I don't understand why you are saying its not my judgement to make, is it against the law not to report it, if it is I genuinely didn't realise.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes I did read the dog warden's comment, I wasn't trying to cause any offence. The OP asked what other posters would do and I put my answer. I don't understand why you are saying its not my judgement to make, is it against the law not to report it, if it is I genuinely didn't realise.

It is your judgement to make - but there's only one ethically defensible outcome, I think. Leaving it be, contacting the owner and not reporting it - they're fine, until someone else gets bitten and you could have prevented it...

WandaMare

Visit site
It is your judgement to make - but there's only one ethically defensible outcome, I think. Leaving it be, contacting the owner and not reporting it - they're fine, until someone else gets bitten and you could have prevented it...

If I spoke to the owner and they agreed to take preventative measures to stop the situation happening again then why isn't this ethically defensible.....from what the OP has said, we don't have any information to say that the owner is an irresponsible or an untrustworthy person, so why are we supposed to be so sure that they are.

My approach to problems like this is to speak to people, understand the situation and then escalate if I need to. I know its not everyone's way and that's fair enough, if the OP is happier knowing that the dog has been reported then that's fine, it's her choice to make.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My experience tells me that people can't be trusted to be responsible about their animals. If they could, we might have few dog attacks on livestock, accidents caused by loose dogs, dog on dog attacks, and - indeed - humans attacked by dogs.

The OP told the girl in charge that the dog bit her. The girl might have been an assistant, but should have been trained in what to do if something like this happens before being left in charge. The fact that the dogs were loose and the person responsible wasn't - well - responsible about it, does rather suggest that we shouldn't presume that they will change their actions in future.

WandaMare

Visit site
Well I guess that explains it then JFTD-WS because my experience tells me that most people are responsible with their animals and its actually a minority of people who aren't. So we are coming from different perspectives hence our difference in approach.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Maybe you have less idiotic people in your area... But I rarely see dogs properly under control when I'm riding out or walking my dogs, and I see far too many dog-on-livestock attacks (though mostly not in my area, it's all arable round here, nobody looses too much sleep if a dog savages some wheat!).

WandaMare

Visit site
I work in an animal business and quite often when I meet other similar business owners we always say that its the 10% of owners that are bad, so that leaves an awful lot of good owners who are responsible or who at least are trying to be, and therefore deserve to be given a fair chance to put things right.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Wow! There's a lot of replies! I didn't expect this to take off in such a way.

I have received what appears to be a sincere apology via email and then a follow up asking for my details for the accident book and informing me they have bought the dog a muzzle. I made my decision to report it without hearing from the owner first, based on a few opinions I have (which may or may not be justified) but also because, like I said before, I don't know them so who am I to know they are genuine and have bought a muzzle (and even if they have, it might get taken off in a week...). Also, I would have always wondered whether I should have or not but I have so I needn't worry about as many what ifs because I've done everything I can.

As I've already reported it, I'll see it through - the police are popping round for a statement tomorrow and I'll give one and let them know the response I've had from the owner as well. But as they have basically admitted he's not safe to be around people he doesn't know, I feel I need to do as much as I can because it's a public space that does get multiple visitors.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support. The biggest bruise is a proper shiner today and will be around for a while I think!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
As an owner of 3 JRx dogs, I think you did the right thing - not least because it was more than 'a nip'. One of my girls nips either my husband or myself when she is over-excited about being taken out.. She would never nip a stranger - they're scary to her. If it wsa a bare leg, it would be a trivial scratch - but never a mark to be seen through trousers. THAT is a nip! For bruising, it was a bite and an agressive terrier who meant to hurt! And somewhere where children could be expected, that is totally irresponsible ownership.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I work in an animal business and quite often when I meet other similar business owners we always say that its the 10% of owners that are bad, so that leaves an awful lot of good owners who are responsible or who at least are trying to be, and therefore deserve to be given a fair chance to put things right.

I am sure that you are correct but how can you tell which category this dog's owner fall into? OP said that she was not familiar with the establishment.

If I spoke to the owner and they agreed to take preventative measures to stop the situation happening again then why isn't this ethically defensible.....from what the OP has said, we don't have any information to say that the owner is an irresponsible or an untrustworthy person, so why are we supposed to be so sure that they are.

My approach to problems like this is to speak to people, understand the situation and then escalate if I need to. I know its not everyone's way and that's fair enough, if the OP is happier knowing that the dog has been reported then that's fine, it's her choice to make.

How many times would you go back to this RS, where you are not a regular customer to monitor the owner's/dog's behaviour?

Well I guess that explains it then JFTD-WS because my experience tells me that most people are responsible with their animals and its actually a minority of people who aren't. So we are coming from different perspectives hence our difference in approach.

Having different experiences doesn't mean that you cannot recognise when someone's behaviour is a problem.

IME, it is far better to follow the proper/accepted procedure rather than taking it upon oneself to monitor others' behaviour. If you are not careful, you could find yourself accused of 'vigilanteeism', where yu have no authority to monior other people, far better to leave that to those whose job it is to do so.

WandaMare

Visit site
If you believe what you have just said Pearlsasinger, then why are you taking it upon yourself to monitor my behaviour and provide your opinion, rather than reporting me to admin as those whose job it is to monitor this forum. Surely you are also acting outside of your authority? You are not the HHO police, or are you...

Some people have replied to this thread saying they would just have kicked the dog, are they vigilantes too, or potentially violent individuals that we need to report to the RSPCA? (before you reply I am only joking!)

The OP has done the right thing, she has taken action and the owner is going to muzzle the dog in future. Job done.

Please don't worry about me, I have never been accused of vigilanteeism in my life so I'm not going to start worrying about it now ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you believe what you have just said Pearlsasinger, then why are you taking it upon yourself to monitor my behaviour and provide your opinion, rather than reporting me to admin as those whose job it is to monitor this forum. Surely you are also acting outside of your authority? You are not the HHO police, or are you...

Some people have replied to this thread saying they would just have kicked the dog, are they vigilantes too, or potentially violent individuals that we need to report to the RSPCA? (before you reply I am only joking!)

The OP has done the right thing, she has taken action and the owner is going to muzzle the dog in future. Job done.

Please don't worry about me, I have never been accused of vigilanteeism in my life so I'm not going to start worrying about it now ;)

You are correct, OP has done the right thing.

What exactly do you think I should report you to admin for? So far as I know you haven't broken any forum rules. Unlike the owner of the dog in OP, who had broken the law by allowing their dog to bite and bruise a passing member of the public.

I assumed when you posted, you were open to answers from other posters, that is usually how this forum works.

WandaMare

Visit site
You are correct, OP has done the right thing.

What exactly do you think I should report you to admin for? So far as I know you haven't broken any forum rules. Unlike the owner of the dog in OP, who had broken the law by allowing their dog to bite and bruise a passing member of the public.

I assumed when you posted, you were open to answers from other posters, that is usually how this forum works.

I thought you might think I was a threat to society, being a vigilante and everything :)

I am open to answers from other posters, its you who told me I was incorrect in my approach.

I said that I would have reported it if the owner didn't agree to take preventative measures, which she has now done. I also said that the reason I wouldn't jump straight to reporting the incident was because the OP carried on with her shopping.

Do you report every car you see speeding to the police too, or do you sometimes use your own discretion....

Please could you stop picking on me and reply to the ones who said they would have just kicked the dog..its not just me that seemingly got the answer to the question wrong.

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
Wow! There's a lot of replies! I didn't expect this to take off in such a way.

I have received what appears to be a sincere apology via email and then a follow up asking for my details for the accident book and informing me they have bought the dog a muzzle. I made my decision to report it without hearing from the owner first, based on a few opinions I have (which may or may not be justified) but also because, like I said before, I don't know them so who am I to know they are genuine and have bought a muzzle (and even if they have, it might get taken off in a week...). Also, I would have always wondered whether I should have or not but I have so I needn't worry about as many what ifs because I've done everything I can.

As I've already reported it, I'll see it through - the police are popping round for a statement tomorrow and I'll give one and let them know the response I've had from the owner as well. But as they have basically admitted he's not safe to be around people he doesn't know, I feel I need to do as much as I can because it's a public space that does get multiple visitors.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support. The biggest bruise is a proper shiner today and will be around for a while I think!
I think you have done the right thing despite alternative views on this thread. Hopefully you have prevented a next time.

{97702}

Visit site
I admire your self restraint OP (the dog would not have had a second chance to try and bite me...) and I think you have done the right thing in the circumstances.