WWYD - Insurance

Tirna

Visit site
Hi all, after some opinions on whether/to what degree to insure, i'll try to keep it brief. My 11yo Cob X has been investigated for various issues over the past 6 years, respiratory (initially thought to be early COPD, but was just the lingering after-effects of a virus), back and lameness issues (resolved after 12 months turned away) and mild sweet itch. Despite him 'passing' a full lameness work up by the vet prior to starting work again, then 6 and 12 months into ridden work, the insurance company refused to remove any exclusions. I've investigated cover with new insurers, but all request his full vet history then add exclusions for cardio-respiratory system, his back and three of his four legs, despite a letter from my vet assuring that he has had no breathing issues for 3 years and no lameness or back issues for 18 months.

So, do I bother to insure? Given that he would only be effectively covered for one leg and colic :rolleyes:? Would a 'disaster cover' type policy be better? Or should I continue to just put the cost of a policy to one side each month as my own little insurance pot? He's never been covered for LOU, just vet cover, rider and public liability. Any opinions/votes welcome!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think what often happens with a new insurer is that they will exclude for the first year and if no claims will consider lifting exclusions.
I think it does depend on your other means, both of ours were insured until we'd had one pretty big pay out, by which point they were older anyway and were self insured with savings/0% credit card. I do think the disaster policies seem to be pretty limited.

Tirna

Visit site
I think what often happens with a new insurer is that they will exclude for the first year and if no claims will consider lifting exclusions.
I think it does depend on your other means, both of ours were insured until we'd had one pretty big pay out, by which point they were older anyway and were self insured with savings/0% credit card. I do think the disaster policies seem to be pretty limited.

Thanks for the input Ester. I'm in a fortunate position where I could pull together the funds if required in an emergency, it's just trying to weigh up whether i'd kick myself for being £4-5k out of pocket for something that might have been covered by insurance. But it seems unlikely given how little of his overall anatomy would be covered! Can I ask whether you insured separately for public liability and rider once yours weren't insured? Or was that no longer required either?

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have had this dilemma with my mare, had various investigations into subtle lameness which caused bodywork issues. To find out the problem I had neck, back, hocks, both front feet, stifles, SI and suspensories either xrayed/scanned/MRI and/or medicated.

Paid for as I hadn’t arranged Insurance ?

So, thought I would see how much insurance was and what would be excluded with all the major insurance companies and yes you guessed, not much of her they would insure.

Instead, I have a lump sum in a savings account and I transfer £100 each month to top it up.

I also have the Harry Hall Gold Membership for Public Liability and Personal Accident.

Tirna

Visit site
I have had this dilemma with my mare, had various investigations into subtle lameness which caused bodywork issues. To find out the problem I had neck, back, hocks, both front feet, stifles, SI and suspensories either xrayed/scanned/MRI and/or medicated.

Paid for as I hadn’t arranged Insurance ?

So, thought I would see how much insurance was and what would be excluded with all the major insurance companies and yes you guessed, not much of her they would insure.

Instead, I have a lump sum in a savings account and I transfer £100 each month to top it up.

I also have the Harry Hall Gold Membership for Public Liability and Personal Accident.

Sorry to hear you've had similar issues, but thanks for sharing. It sounds as though vet cover isn't going to be worth it. I'll compare the BHS and Harry Hall covers - thank you!