WWYD? Liveries horses...

lcharles

Visit site
The lady who keeps her ponies next to mine rides very occasionally (once every two months if that), leaves her ponies in the field unchecked for days, sometimes weeks although our yard is so big someone else would always see if someone was obviously wrong, and she seems to get no pleasure out of them even though they are lovely ponies in every way.

So not ideal, but her horses, up to her what she does?! Well thats what I thought until I was talking to the girl on the other side of this ladies ponies stable and as we were just chit chatting i noticed the shoe clips (are they called clips? - mind blank!!) and nails on the front of the hoof but I couldn't see any shoes. I picked her ponies foot up and noticed that the hoof has literally swallowed the shoe and grown around it. This was the same on the other front and the one back is the same and the other back has lost the shoe. The pony seems happy and no obvious pain - its only walking around its stable though, havent seen it going to the field or walking/trotting.

I have said 'Oh my farriers coming tomorrow if you want yours done at the same time?' and offered to wait while he did them but she said that she will 'get them done', she then had a dig when I asked how her ponies were the next day and she said 'well theyre neglected arent they?' so not sure if someone else has commented on something?

I've offered to lend her the money, even though she's not a close friend, just feel sorry for the ponies. The other pony isnt as bad but isnt much better!

I have mentioned it to our yard owner as its partly his responsibility to make sure all horses are cared for isnt it? He's more of a cow man but will probably mention it to her and she'll ignore him and then he wont follow it up without me asking again.

She has pulled one shoe off the other pony about a week ago and left its hoof with snapped off chunks but havent been able to pick his feet up as he hasnt been in as much as the other one.

What would you do? x

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't think you can do anything at this point. As a fellow livery, all you can do is say something diplomatic and offer to help, as you have done, but if they blow you off, that's that.

Only the YO can step in. I've seen YOs threaten to evict liveries who weren't taking care of their horses (the one that comes to mind didn't believe in western medicine and refused to call out of the vet for a colic). But it's up to them.

LollyDolly

Visit site
I'd try sitting her down and calmly explaining the problem with her horse and how much pain/potential damage that it will be causing to the horse- explain that routine farrier bills will be much cheaper than a vet's bill when it causes some serious damage!
I would also try to get her to understand how much pain her horse must be in, and how for us it's uncomfortable enough to walk around with a little stone in your shoe so just imagine what that poor pony is feeling!

If none of that worked then I'd try to shame her into caring for them, by giving her sad/judgmental looks, saying things like "Well seeing as you clearly cannot afford basic care for your horses then why not sell? Sadly we can't all afford these luxuries." and informing others of the situation in the vain hope that if enough people apply pressure then she'll relent and start caring for her horses properly.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'd try sitting her down and calmly explaining the problem with her horse and how much pain/potential damage that it will be causing to the horse- explain that routine farrier bills will be much cheaper than a vet's bill when it causes some serious damage!
I would also try to get her to understand how much pain her horse must be in, and how for us it's uncomfortable enough to walk around with a little stone in your shoe so just imagine what that poor pony is feeling!

If none of that worked then I'd try to shame her into caring for them, by giving her sad/judgmental looks, saying things like "Well seeing as you clearly cannot afford basic care for your horses then why not sell? Sadly we can't all afford these luxuries." and informing others of the situation in the vain hope that if enough people apply pressure then she'll relent and start caring for her horses properly.

I was agreeing with you until your last pargraph

Agreed though you have said your bit but I would be chasing up with the YO as its his reputation as well here if he can't manage his liveries and the safety and well being of the animals on hsi land!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I don't think you can do anything at this point. As a fellow livery, all you can do is say something diplomatic and offer to help, as you have done, but if they blow you off, that's that.

Only the YO can step in. I've seen YOs threaten to evict liveries who weren't taking care of their horses (the one that comes to mind didn't believe in western medicine and refused to call out of the vet for a colic). But it's up to them.

Ha, that's a joke. There were a couple of seriously neglected ponies on the farm I was last on. RSPCA was called twice anonymously by other liveries because the YO told us to mind our own business and if we didn't like it, we could leave. Ponies had not seen the farrier for at least 6 months and were almost unable to walk.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Ha, that's a joke. There were a couple of seriously neglected ponies on the farm I was last on. RSPCA was called twice anonymously by other liveries because the YO told us to mind our own business and if we didn't like it, we could leave. Ponies had not seen the farrier for at least 6 months and were almost unable to walk.

How frustrating, I just dont understand the mentality of these people. Out of principle I think I would have told him to poke it and left! :mad:

P3rdi3

New User
Visit site
I have a yard and if that was happening I would give them a verbal warning to rectify the problem. If nothing is done I would then issue a written warning stating that a farrier will be called and the cost will be billed to the owner if nothing is done within 1 week.

Being a yard owner you have a responsibility to any animal in your care be it a DIY livery or Full livery.

I don't think there is much you can do other than I would politely mention to your yard owner that they can get into trouble as they have a duty of care. What if someone came up to the yard and saw it and reported it to the RSPCA (not that they do much anyway).

Soozyq

Visit site
Those poor horses, makes me very angry when owners cant be bothered with basic welfare of the animals they own. Can YO not get farrier out and then add cost to owners livery bill. I know RSPCA have a bad reputation but I just couldn't stand by and watch any horse suffer. What about World Horse Welfare?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Years ago I was on a yard for a whole three months where this sort of thing went on. The woman was a teacher of all things, so you'd think professional and responsible, but no. Her idea of foot care was to wait until the shoes came off of their own accord. I kid ye not. When I arrived there, the horse had two shoes on and I actually phoned her up, in my naivety thinking he'd managed to lose two in a day. I was told that he was fine and she'd get the farrier, so still didn't think anything of it, but a girl who looked after an abandoned shetland on the yard told me that the first shoe was lost weeks earlier and was still IN THE FIELD! I combed the whole 5 acres and did find one of them, but not the other. Farrier was called 4 weeks later, by which point a 3rd shoe had gone. I avoided her after that. Figured it was easier than serving time. I really thought these things were few and far between, but on the last yard I was on, the manager and her friend quite openly accepted that it was time to get the farrier only when the shoes were worn through or loose. Madness!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
What would I do ?

Here's what I did in a similar situation.

2 big 17hh horses left in a 12x12 stable for weeks. Standing in muck, no water/hay and left unchecked for days on end. When the owner did come, she'd steal our hay and feed. Other liveries and I offered practical, friendly help which was ignored.
We all watered and hayed them twice daily but the horses were getting increasingly distressed, so another livery and I, put hard hats and gloves on and risked our own safety to turn them out.

Then rang the owner and told her to get her ass down immediately. She duly arrived and I wiped the floor with her while she stood silently smirking. Told her the horses would have been dead, had not others been checking them and that I was going to call the RSPCA if she ever left them again.
I then went and had a cigarette to calm down. :eek: I've never been so angry.
To her credit, she came over and apologised and admitted she'd let them down.
I then told the yard owner who said 'well done' and had further words with her. The girl agreed to go on part livery.

However, that approach isn't right for every situation (!), depends who you're dealing with, but in OP's situation, the YO does have a responsibility and if he does nothing, call the horse welfare charities yourself.

MrsNorris

Visit site
This sort of thing is all too common I'm afraid.

At the last yard I was at, I watched a women scream and abuse her poor horse who kept tripping in canter whilst 'schooling'.

Poor boy had been in the same shoes for at least 3 months and his toes were so long it was a miracle he could canter at all!

I don't think there is much more you can do, at least she knows now that you are aware of the situation, and that may just push her into doing the right thing.

shmoo

Visit site
This makes me really angry. My little TB had 'bad' feet when she arrived with me, a pair of shoes, not a set then went down to three overnight. Her fronts had grown in over the shoes. She had nasty corns on both fronts as a result of the shoes slipping slightly sideways as hoof wall pushed them out unevenly. Absesses were begining to form near her heels, luckily my farrier could cut away enough to stop it but she had seedy toe or abcesses that travelled up her hoof wall and came out in the coronet band as a result.

Her loaner (Haha) put front on her during her week there and its taken the whole of her time with me for that to grow out.

No hoof no horse...

She'd be better off having all shoes off and trimmed up for what, say £30 -£40 for the pair of them than leave shoes to destrot their feet.

Very very foolish. :mad:

Nicnac

Visit site
Why are her ponies shod?

You can but remind her and hassle YO and as a final resort call in welfare.

jrp204

Visit site
Please don't lend any money unless you can afford to write it off. Although obviously undesirable it probably isn't a welfare issue (yet). Leave it with the YO/YM. She may be having problems, health/ financial and is possibly very embarrassed about the situation so is likely to go on the defensive.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Basically the YO has the ultimate responsibility for "duty of care" and CANNOT ignore a situation like this.

Try the nicely-nicely approach with the YO first, but if he won't do anything, full stop, then tell him politely that if he won't tackle the situation and make the owner do something you will tell either the RSPCA or WHW.

Basically the YO should be the one to tackle the owner about the situation and if they continue to neglect their ponies, should be told to either rectify ASAP or leave. That's not a pleasurable duty for any YO, but has to be done in a situation like this.

Most YO's wouldn't want the bad publicity a visit by any of the welfare organisations might bring and it just might get the situation sorted. You may need to point out to YO that the duty of care exists.

An unenviable situation. Good luck.

Luci07

Visit site
Basically the YO has the ultimate responsibility for "duty of care" and CANNOT ignore a situation like this.

Try the nicely-nicely approach with the YO first, but if he won't do anything, full stop, then tell him politely that if he won't tackle the situation and make the owner do something you will tell either the RSPCA or WHW.

Basically the YO should be the one to tackle the owner about the situation and if they continue to neglect their ponies, should be told to either rectify ASAP or leave. That's not a pleasurable duty for any YO, but has to be done in a situation like this.

Most YO's wouldn't want the bad publicity a visit by any of the welfare organisations might bring and it just might get the situation sorted. You may need to point out to YO that the duty of care exists.

An unenviable situation. Good luck.

Legally the YO is responsible so perhaps it's worth pointing out to your YO that if anyone comes looking at said ponies, they can hold him to account...