WWYD - livery hitting my horse when not around

cloverpenny

Visit site
Go with the camera then once you have the evidence present it to both the YO and the other livery. Then if nothing is done to remove the said livery from the yard I would contact WHW and the RSPCA. If you have to do that then sadly you may have to consider moving yard's.

Equi

Visit site
Id be punching her in the teeth.

As said, if YO is not going to deal with this, move your horse. That is completely out of order. I would also be phoning the police/rspca cause clearly she has no standards and her own animals are in danger.

wench

Visit site
The usual HHO response of "I would kill them/hit them until they are dead/scream and shout at them"...

Whilst you may feel like this, the only thing it is likely to result in is you being behind bars.

A camera and evidence are required before anything can be done

Ceriann

Visit site
So do you think if you get evidence via a videocam that the YO will act on it? If so i would go ahead and do this (and i would also keep it to myself) - once you have evidence then present it to YO and insist on action. If you are unsure is this something you can discuss now with the YP to get clarity. If you think YO wont act on evidence then it feels like you have little choice other than to move. If your horse is already exhibiting defensive behaviour it can only get worse - there is also the risk that you get frustrated (which would be completely understandable) and act to defend your horse. Let us know how you get on.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Sounds like the horse needs a move back to where it was and the livery told not to go near it.

If the horse is vicious towards other horses being led past AND there is no way to lead past and keep your distance, without antagonising the horse, I certainly wouldn't be happy with the horse being left to carry out these behaviours regardless of the cause.

applecart14

Visit site
Whilst I would accept someone smacking my horse if it had bitten something walking past it (whether that be horse or human) I would be totally annoyed if someone just hit my horse for the sake of it, if it had done nothing wrong.

Not trying to justify this persons behaviour in anyway shape or form, but some things that horses do I find acceptable, but others do not. Three examples at old a previous yard I moved to the first few weeks I had my horse; my horse scraped his teeth on the bars of his stable, not very often, perhaps once a month/six weeks if that. Normally after being ridden, or when wanting foot/attention, he held the bottom of the bar and runs his teeth up and down making a noise. He normally got shouted at by others. Find that wrong.

Sometimes when I tacked him up and put on his bridle (pelham with curb chain) he shook his head up and down so that his chain rattled, he seemed to enjoy the noise it made. He never did it when I rode in the snaffle, only when I rode in the pelham, so it was to do with the chain. He still does it now, about every tenth time, but only ever when he is eating, I think he gets frustrated that I am messing around trying to fasten it whilst he is eating his hay net. Again, nothing major, but has been shouted at by others in the past.

A large horse tied outside anothers stable and the two chatting to each other, one making whickering sounds, the stable door is slammed in the stabled horses face and it is yelled at. This is natural horse behaviour, and nothing that should mean a reprimand.

I guess what I am trying to say is others perceive what we find acceptable as not being acceptable for some strange reason. Maybe your horse is doing something that the other livery is annoyed with, but that you wouldn't feel justified.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a YO myself I am simply HORRIFIED that the YO in question seems to be doing sweet FA about this???

Best thing is for OP to keep her trap shut (even on here - i.e. spies do lurk!), get the necessary camera evidence, and then challenge both the livery and the YO, and then take such action as is deemed necessary.

Even if the OP does move her horse, this yard sounds like a thoroughly bad concern which should be investigated - if it is a BHS/Registered yard then it is easy to complain, but if it is a private regime then this is more difficult.

RSPCA will do their usual sweet-nothing about it so no point in even reporting it to them; but IME WHW are a different kettle of fish.

Truly shocking. The YO of this yard needs their backside kicked to be letting stuff like this happen on their watch, and do nothing.

sunshine100*

Visit site
IF YOU STAY AT THIS YARD YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR HORSE THROUGH UNNECESSARY VIOLENCE-THAT YOU CAN STOP BY MOVING-OH WAIT its got an indoor arena so you have to stay???? THINK OF YOUR POOR HORSE-THIS GIRL HAS SERIOUS ISSUES-CAN YOU TELL HER FAMILY WHAT SHE IS DOING?

please LEAVE-THINK OF YOUR POOR HORSE -NOT YOURSELF!!!!--

Archangel

Visit site
I would get dropped off at the yard before girl arrives then hang out in another stable and just watch what happens. I know indoor arenas are to die for but is it worth your poor horse getting belted? I don't think so. However I do think the YO needs to take this more seriously.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd leave. An indoor school is nice, but if your YO isnt taking this seriously then I'm not sure you can trust that whatever you do will stop the other livery, it could well just make them sneakier about doing it!

only_me

Visit site
IF YOU STAY AT THIS YARD YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR HORSE THROUGH UNNECESSARY VIOLENCE-THAT YOU CAN STOP BY MOVING-OH WAIT its got an indoor arena so you have to stay???? THINK OF YOUR POOR HORSE-THIS GIRL HAS SERIOUS ISSUES-CAN YOU TELL HER FAMILY WHAT SHE IS DOING?

please LEAVE-THINK OF YOUR POOR HORSE -NOT YOURSELF!!!!--

Uh no need to shout! What's the point of moving yards when OP has a setup she likes & access to good facilities for the sake of one rouge livery?
OP wants ideas on how to deal with situation, not just to be told to run away.

OP, I'd be going with a small camera placed near the stable, or if you could somehow get someone to use a camera drone when she is about? But the small camera above stable door sounds the best idea imo.
It's hard for a YO when it's one word against another's, but she does have to do something. At least she should be moving either your horse or her horse to another stable that would mean the livery has no reason to come near your horse.

rowan666

Visit site
I think you need to record it so you can see exactly whats going on for yourself, second hand information is often not reliable and can be under or over exaggerated and livery who saw may not have seen the whole picture. If one of my horses lunged at someone walking past I would hope they would reprimand them, that is unacceptable behaviour, although definatley not by smacking them in the face ever, that is equally unacceptable! Once you have video footage then you will know where you stand and if this person is lashing out at your horse for no reason then YO really needs to tell them to move off ASAP, if this person is lashing out at your horse because it's lunged at her then you need to speak to her about better ways to deal with it i.e just a firm voice saying "get back" and teach your horse some manners/install a grille. Hope you get to the bottom of it and resolve the issue

Calla

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm reading them all, taking them on board and appreciate all the advice. I'm aware of the potential of "spies" lurking as a previous poster put it, so trying to give enough information without completely outing myself.

I think a camera's definitely the way to go, now just to source one and find a way to get it hooked up. Anyone any recommendations or ideas?

if this person is lashing out at your horse because it's lunged at her then you need to speak to her about better ways to deal with it i.e just a firm voice saying "get back" and teach your horse some manners/install a grille. Hope you get to the bottom of it and resolve the issue

This is the best bit Rowan, if you tell this horse to back up, it will and all it keeps to keep it in check is a sharp "Ah!". The other livery doesn't do either of those things though. After the incident I witnessed I did reinstate this was all that was needed but I just got met with a blank face. Everyone else does it and has no issue with the horse in question.

Boulty

Visit site
Why should the OP have to leave a yard they are happy at cos of one numpty? Surely there is the potential said numpty could do this to other horses even if OP leaves and so the best thing for all is to out her and get HER kicked off the yard so normality can resume? I'd agree with the camera idea. Either she will realise it's there and be put off or you'll catch her red handed and be able to show the YO (/ other liveries who have the right to know in case they wish to take steps to protest their own horses) and hopefully action will be taken.

Princess16

Visit site
Sorry but she wouldn't be doing it again if it were me! Think you've been too lenient with her. I would raise merry hell until she was removed from the premises trust me. Nasty cow !

khalino

Visit site
Why hasn't the YO dealt with this by now? This happened once on our yard and the livery was gone!
I'd go with the camera and then go bloody ballistic!

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
You are right to want to stay as the place has good facilities and you have been happy there for a long time. Why should you move because of someone else's behaviour.
Good luck OP I so hope you get it sorted and this person either starts to treat your horse properly or preferably leaves.
X

npage123

Visit site
I would never want to have my horse at a yard where I'm aware of any sort of problems like this. Call me pedantic but for the decent amount of monthly livery I pay, I expect a very high standard of care like his feed bowls scrubbed clean every time, ad lib hay as promised, but above all for my horse to be treated with respect.

It's not up to another livery to 'discipline' my horse. Why can't she just give your horse's stable a wide berth if she's walking past? Not that my horse has any behavioural problems at all - he's an real sweety - but if I was aware that he got smacked now and then, I would be absolutely fuming and go ballistic (verbally, not physically).

I don't really even see why the YO should invest in cameras to get evidence of the livery in question's behaviour. It seems as if there's already enough witnessed by other liveries of things that she's done. OP, if I was you I'd have a serious talk with the YO the very next day I'm up at the yard, and explain that unless your horse is cared for properly, you'll be forced to (reluctantly) leave the yard. As you've been at that yard for a long time, the YO should do everything possible to ensure that you're happy again and have the peace of mind that when you're not at the yard, your horse are treated properly.

I think the YO needs to have a serious discussion with the livery and give her a serious warning that if anything like this happens again, then she'll be asked to leave pronto. If the YO don't wan't to spend any money on cameras, then she should be present at the yard at all times when the livery in question is there to monitor the situation and get the evidence needed. And then give the bad apple notice to leave the yard immediately when any malice is witnessed again. This is a situation that the YO should have sorted out a long time ago!!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Camera is the only way to go and prove she is hitting your horse, once you have this the YO should take control of the situation by telling her to leave preferably! I would be having a calm conversation with this person to establish why she feels the need to hit the horse. The only reason I can see is because she is afraid of your horse in which case when she walks passed him why doesn't she just give him a wide berth. No excuse for hitting any horse on the head regardless as far as I am concerned.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I think if other liveries are regularly having to tell your horse to move back as they pass, even if most can do it nicely, that the simplest solution for everyone in this situation is to put up bars. Your horse will probably feel more secure behind them anyway, since he will be lunging at passing horses to defend his space.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but what has the YO had to say about this happening?

Has the YO spoken to the people involved?

The YO needs to inform the alleged offenders that if she finds out that this is happening they will be told to leave the yard immediately.

Regarding the camera's installation, just install it where it will capture what is happening. I am aware that there are various rules regarding installation & signage for such installations but this is not going to be used i court so who cares if it is legal or not? Just install it quietly without anyone knowing & see what happens. If you capture your evidence then show it to the YO & hopefully the YO will do what is necessary.

As for buying a suitable camera, you don't need to spend a fortune. For about £15 you can buy a dashcam from ebay with a very wide angle view. Fit this & wire it to a car battery & that will do the job.

c2b

Visit site
I have a wildlife camera. It's motion activated.

Downside you can't see what it's caught as it's happening, upside it records decent quality in the dark, no need for internet access, runs on AA batteries.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I'd definitely go with the camera option with consent of the YO. If the yard owner is a decent Person at all, they will want to know about cruelty taking place on their property.

Ps. I've had a similar problem, however the perpetrator was a child. A stern telling off from a very angry me was enough to deter in this case. I hope you get it sorted- it's not acceptable in any shape or form. Id also tell this person under no circumstances should she be interfering with your horse. Just because your animal is kept on a livery does not make them public property.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm sorry, but I think if other liveries are regularly having to tell your horse to move back as they pass, even if most can do it nicely, that the simplest solution for everyone in this situation is to put up bars. Your horse will probably feel more secure behind them anyway, since he will be lunging at passing horses to defend his space.

I agree with this, or can your horse be put in a stable where he can't lunge at passing horses? It is dangerous in many ways as it makes the led horse plunge forward to avoid being bitten as well. Bars or move stables, IMO.

Princess16

Visit site

But she has absolutely no right whatsoever to smack him in the face no matter what he is doing or where he stands . If she can't comprehend the simple instruction of how to move him over then she should speak to OP outlining the problem she (no-one else) appears to be having !
Me thinks he's got her back up the firSt time he did it and she hasn't forgotten it so dislikes him.

The bar idea is a good idea but why should he be shut in for the sake of some nasty piece of work ?

Get your camera installed and show it to YO she won't get away with it then

misty1020

Visit site
I have to wonder how people would reply to this thread if it was their horse/themselves being lunged at?

I think it is completely out of order to smack a horse around its head, but if a horse was aggressively lunging for one of mine my first reaction would be to wave my hand at the horse to get it away.

I would be very un-impressed if every time I wanted to turnout/ride/walk up or down the yard my horse or myself got lunged at.

This livery pays the same price as you so why should she have to put up with your horse trying to bite her.

The livery shouldn't have to discipline your horse for you, it doesn't matter if all she has to do is shoo him away or make some random noise you tell her to say, your horse should be moved or bars should be put up.

I don't think she should be treating your horse like this but I can sort of she her point (although hitting a horse around the head is unacceptable )
But I do think you and your YO should have thought about where best to place your horse.

Princess16

Visit site
I have to wonder how people would reply to this thread if it was their horse/themselves being lunged at?

I think it is completely out of order to smack a horse around its head, but if a horse was aggressively lunging for one of mine my first reaction would be to wave my hand at the horse to get it away.

I would be very un-impressed if every time I wanted to turnout/ride/walk up or down the yard my horse or myself got lunged at.

This livery pays the same price as you so why should she have to put up with your horse trying to bite her.

The livery shouldn't have to discipline your horse for you, it doesn't matter if all she has to do is shoo him away or make some random noise you tell her to say, your horse should be moved or bars should be put up.

I don't think she should be treating your horse like this but I can sort of she her point (although hitting a horse around the head is unacceptable )
But I do think you and your YO should have thought about where best to place your horse.

If you read the start of thread OP said she also does it for no real reason just wallops him across the head for hell of it ! So tell me is that acceptable ?