WWYD re previous owner

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm another who would give her some hair. I took some of my mares a good two months before she was PTS because I knew her time was limited and just didn't want to take it from her dead body. I took it from underneath her tail and you really couldn't find where I had cut it from afterwards.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I can't see what harm it would do.
Yes she might have to wait until an appropriate time to cut some tail.
But you could cut some from inside

I think it's a bit harsh to say it was rude to ask.
I probably took her a long time to build the courage to ask.
she may be really missing him and want a reminder.
It's could have been her horse of a lifetime and she had no option to sell.

It was Christmas, new year, she could have been reminiscing and maybe doesn't have a horse currently and remembers her last fondly.

Last edited:

russianhorse

Visit site
I'm another all for her having a bit of hair

To be fair, these bracelet things weren't well known when she sold her horse - it's a quite a new but lovely idea that has grown legs - and I doubt it would have occurred to her to take a snippet of hair when she sold him

It'll cost you nothing to do a kind thing, and let her have something physical to go with her memories :)

Stacy_W

Visit site
You have some awful friends.

I'm sure it would make her very happy if you would oblige and send her a cutting. Your horse must have been very special to her.

Queenbee

Visit site
Had a text out of the blue from the person who owned my horse before the person I bought him off, (she got my number from the person I got him off). She sold him in 2005, and I bought him in 2006, so a long time ago, and she contacted me once before about 3 years ago to see how he was doing.
That was fine, I was happy for her to come and see him and have a chat etc. She seemed very nice, took pictures and gave him a cuddle and that was that, haven't heard from her since.

Then I get a text just before Christmas asking very nicely if she can have some tail hair to have a bracelet made.

I don't know what to do, part of me feels it's a bit of a cheek, and all my friends say it's ridiculous and to ignore the text and forget about it, but another part of me feels a bit sorry for her. On the other hand, I don't particularly want to hack bits off of his tail either. So, WWYD? Ignore, reply but say no, or reply and say yes? I just can't decide....

I seriously dont see what your problem is... I would give it willingly and be so grateful that my horse was so much loved and appreciated by its previous owners. we see so many owners and riders, wanting history and to engage with their horses past... jesus, you dont have to become friends with her but have a heart... your horse obviously meant a lot to her, perhaps he is what he is because of her, furthermore you dont know what is behind her having to part with him... if for whatever reason you had to let your horse go... would you want the future owner to have your attitude?

Overread

www.flickr.com
You have some awful friends.

No, likely just friends who are not accustom to this, almost, horsey tradition. Cats and dogs are not really traded at large, like horses are and whilst they come with a price to keep its not as heavy as that of a horse. So situations where one has to sell the pet on are not as common, as such there is less of a culture of mementos built up around them.

They might also be people who are just not "animaly". They are not mean nor nasty, they just don't understand the degree of affection others can feel for creatures who are not human.

I will, however, issue one voice of warning against giving the hair over. It's a remote chance, but its still a chance - but she could be making a voodoo doll of the horse! Before you know it the horse is bucking and the beast from hell to ride - suddenly you need to sell! ;)

Ok seriously that's unlikely to happen. It sounds like an innocent and honest request, might be she's taken time to puck up the courage to ask - also likely that she probably heard of the bracelet idea only recently and its struck her as a great way to have a connection to her former horse.
It could also be she had one before and that its become lost, damaged or destroyed and she wishes to replace it.

Queenbee

Visit site
Am rather bewildered as to why you'd hesitate in the slightest! And to be perfectly frank if that's the attitude of all your friends they don't sound like a very compassionate bunch of people to call 'friends' :(

to be honest none of them do... not op, not her friends... I honestly cant believe anything would make you hesitate op and what for? you hesitate and your excuse is not only some awful and superficial reason but also something that in reality wont leave a mark on your horse and may mean the world to someone else who absolutely loved him! Shame on you!

Queenbee

Visit site
wow! a full on rarity... just got to the end of the thread (no that is not the rarity) every single post agrees... send her some damned horse hair!

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I wouldn't of even hesitated! It would make me very happy to know that my boy had been loved so much by someone other than me!
In fact it breaks my heart a little, she obviously cares about your horse deeply, and at some point had to let him go. Then after all this time she finds out where he is plucks up the courage to ask for something so simple to remember him by, only to be met with such unkindness.

Put yourself in her shoes.

All she wants is a few tail hairs, the horse will be yours forever if you wish, she isn't asking for much! I would have washed and conditioned his tail, cut a nice tidy part for her (it will always grow back!), included a new photo and the option to visit?

You don't sound like you know what it is to loose a horse. Imagine if you had to sell you horse of a life time for whatever reason or any you loved dearly, and their new owner was so selfishly unkind.
... and the mere notion that she was rude to ask? It's awful to me!

My Muppet

Visit site
I'm another all for her having a bit of hair

To be fair, these bracelet things weren't well known when she sold her horse - it's a quite a new but lovely idea that has grown legs - and I doubt it would have occurred to her to take a snippet of hair when she sold him

It'll cost you nothing to do a kind thing, and let her have something physical to go with her memories :)

Ha Russian horse, you beat me to it. This is exactly what I was thinking,in 2005/6 I had never heard of horse hair bracelets. Yes OP I'd happily give it to her along with a nice photo as someone else suggested.

Tnavas

Visit site
Definitely let her have some hair, she doesn't need much and you could even collect the hairs that fall out with day to day grooming. Or you can just pull a few dozen hairs from his tail for her.

I keep in touch with all the people who have bought my young horses over the past decade or so.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would let her have some, especially as she has made contact before and not become a pain wanting to visit every week or anything.

I do have some sympathy, I once bought a horse, was happy to give regular updates as requested. About a year later the old owner rung me up to inform me he had retired now and was therefore able to come over and ride regularly. I had an awkward conversation about the principal of "selling" and that I did not need anyone to come ride regularly!

We still stayed on good terms and I gave regular updates, although after what I felt was too much of a liberty I would not have invited him to visit, but I did still call to tell him where and when we were competing so he could have come to watch.

Some tail hair would not have worried me.

Gucc

Visit site
I definitely would send the hair. In order for her to have enough hair to make a bracelet you need to take around a fingers width and a minimum length of 14 inches. The best place is from below the doc as it's not noticeable and should be in best condition.

Liz H

Visit site
Yes, agree, please send her some. I lost my mare through colic and subsequent operation couldn't save her, no time to think or prepare, how I wish I had a lock of her hair to make into some keepsake. Please make her happy:)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I would cut some hair and send it to her, along with a recent photo . . . it will mean the world to her. When Kali goes, I'm giving some of his tail to his previous owner and his two jockeys - they all loved him, why not give them something to remember him by?

P