Wwyd re yard move

throughtheforest

Visit site
I've found a lovely place to move to, I'm just a bit anxious because the place I'm at now is relatively bare as far as grazing is concerned whereas this new place has good grazing for equines (old racing yard) which could be slightly too good once my two cob geldings are fully grown although I would have access to the stable in the spring for them. My main anxiety is that I've had one who was pts because of lami and ideally I never want to go through that again. What are your thoughts?

tiahatti

Visit site
My YO says she makes the field suit the horse and not the other way round. Can you ask about having a sparse paddock? X

Equi

Visit site
What does the place have that where you are now doesnt? What is the reason for the move?

throughtheforest

Visit site
What does the place have that where you are now doesnt? What is the reason for the move?

No grass at all, overcrowded fields and paying too much for not a good enough service imo.
I've done pros and cons the new place has more pros but i don't want to start getting any lami issues, neither have ever had it so don't know if there's any issues that may come along eventually.

Equi

Visit site
How old are they now? Lami can come from many different things, not just good grass although it won't help matters. If they were able to come in during the day in spring/summer that would definitely help.

throughtheforest

Visit site
Yeah I would be able to have them in during the day in spring/summer. So I would have a weanling and a rising 3 year old (3 in the autumn)

chaps89

Visit site
If they can come in part of the time during the risky periods I'd go for it.
To a certain extent the rest of the time they're better on longer grass (lower sugar content, though they can eat more of it of course), maybe muzzled, and in a decent sized field with company to encourage them to move about anyway.
I'd be more concerned if they couldn't cone off the grass for a period of time though.

throughtheforest

Visit site
If they can come in part of the time during the risky periods I'd go for it.
To a certain extent the rest of the time they're better on longer grass (lower sugar content, though they can eat more of it of course), maybe muzzled, and in a decent sized field with company to encourage them to move about anyway.
I'd be more concerned if they couldn't cone off the grass for a period of time though.
We also have a convalescence paddock that I'm sure the yo wouldn't mind us using.

throughtheforest

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. There's other horses on the main field already and yo has said I can make them have their own field if necessary and can always bring them in during risky times.