WWYD? Rehoming pair of ponies

Muddle

Visit site
I think the RDA is your best bet if they are well handled non spooky and have nice temperaments.

They are not well handled, lack the life experience to be non spooky and although they are both nice natured, the smaller one lacks confidence and the larger one is powerful, athletic and can be opinionated.

rowan666

Visit site
In your position I would also be looking more towards loaning than selling for your your OH's peace of mind knowing where they are and not risk them being picked up by dealers and separated. Lots of people looking to loan have their own yards/land so could accommodate the smaller companion

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
They are not well handled, lack the life experience to be non spooky and although they are both nice natured, the smaller one lacks confidence and the larger one is powerful, athletic and can be opinionated.

RDA groups are usually run/led by extremely experienced people who would be prepared to put the work in to make a 'free' pony suitable for their riders. TBH, most ponies who are not used to disabled riders need work prior to having disabled riders let loose on them, so yours wouldn't be too much different.

Palindrome

Visit site
Unfortunately he’s inexperienced and also works silly hours.

Sharer is not really an option because we have no school, no hacking and are about to start a self build onsite.

I have deleted their advert

If he doesn't take care of them that puts another twist on the situation. But has he decided to sell them then?

How do they react if you take the 14.2hh for a hack?
I think they are still young enough to be separated at 7 and having been together only 5 years. You could sell the 14.2hh and put the 12.2hh on loan/loan with view to buy to a riding school. I don't think keeping them together is the best prospect for them on the long term as it limits their possibilities for rehoming in the future.

Muddle

Visit site
If he doesn't take care of them that puts another twist on the situation. But has he decided to sell them then?

How do they react if you take the 14.2hh for a hack?
I think they are still young enough to be separated at 7 and having been together only 5 years. You could sell the 14.2hh and put the 12.2hh on loan/loan with view to buy to a riding school. I don't think keeping them together is the best prospect for them on the long term as it limits their possibilities for rehoming in the future.

He’s quite difficult! He doesn’t have much interest in them but because he’s sentimental he’d rather they stay. He acknowledges that keeping them the for the next 25 ish years is not sensible! and it is in their best interest to find a nice home where they will get the attention they should. His mother bought and sold 100’s of horses over the years, these two were not special to her, they just happen to be the last. They don’t have names and when she could no longer look after them she suggested we sell them for the £1 she’d been offered by a dealer she knew.

They don’t like being out of sight of one another but I haven’t taken the 14.2hh for a hack, it’s not an option as we are on a 60mph road with no bridleways for several miles. I lightly backed her in 2020 but she has been turned away since because I have no time or facilities, plus I am not the ideal person to be breaking in horses because I have a dodgey hip and stopped riding in 2015.

Muddle

Visit site
I will get in touch with the RDA & charity’s suggested but OH is not keen on the idea of loaning them out, although this does eliminate the dealers in disguise.

I agree that although they might not be very happy about it initially, they will be split up at some point, even if it’s when one passes away and as you say it is massively limits the rehoming opportunities and is likely to lead to them napping to one another.

I had considered finding a home for the smaller one first, it looks like the other would go very quickly so she wouldn’t be left on her own (but next to mine) for long.

Kaylum

Visit site
Contact a charity that rehomes for advice. They can put them on their books as well so if a home comes up they will let you know.

Backtoblack

Visit site
anothe rthought, if your other horses are well trained and rideable consider rehoming them and just keeping these 2. you could school them and ride the larger one.