WWYD Retirement options

retired_girl

Visit site
Hello, would appreciate your wise opinions please!

Horse is retired 8 months, he is 26. Diagnosed with PPID/cushings disease in summer 23, I then decided then enough was enough and he had given everything to me and it was time to stop riding. He is fully sound. On one pracend a day and has responded well to treatment. Never had laminitis despite being a native and and a good doer. He always wore a muzzle Spring - End of Autumn and was excercised regulary and on a low sugar, grain free diet. Therefore has never been 'let loose' on grass all year round. Has been on full livery for 15 years and always in at night in that time, and all the time I have owned him.
He is still on FL but I think he is bored, and also he is fatter coming out of winter than I would like. I try to take him handwalking and do some ground work but I am riding 2 others at the yard so that is mainly at weekends during the winter. Also the costs of FL are high, and I am saving for another but I doubt I could afford FL in this yard for 2, or it would be very tight. This horse is my heart horse so his needs will always come first over any potential new horse. So keeping that in mind I am exploring retirement options for him. I can't retire him at current yard unfortunately.

Option 1:

Retirement at grass livery. Various large herds. No shelter other than natural shelter. Lovely yard and people but care is basic, i.e. checked in field, wormed, hayed etc. They are fed round bales in the field in winter. There are fattie fields though for the good-doers. I know a poor doer tb that has gone there and thrived, however I'm not sure my guy would be ok on unrestricted grass, even though it may be on 'fattie' fields. Also mud. It seems winters are just getting wetter here. Not sure I could cope with him being out in all weathers after being in at night for all the time I have owned him. I think he would be miserable. I know I am guilty of anthropomorphism here! Its cheap and 45 minutes from home. I have to find out if they will continue with the cushings meds - this would be a dealbreaker I think.

Option 2:

Retirement at track livery. This is not a large TL with social media presence btw, it is a small herd private yard that is taking on a very small amount of liveries. There is a 1km track and its in a part of the country that seems to always get the best weather. There is a purpose-built shelter and natural shelter. The track is varied terrain and the soil is sandy, so no mud. He will get ad-lib hay, a feed here and his meds, rug changes etc. basically everything. Only thing this place is 1hr 20 from me. I won't be able to see him as often as I would like. He isn't a clingy guy, in fairness being on FL for so long he is very used to being handled by other people even though I was the only one who rode him. I think this would give him the exercise and stimulation that he needs. YO will help to transistion him barefoot. It is about 60% the cost of my current FL.

Would appreciate your opinions. I know tracks have gotten a bit of a backlash recently.

SEL

Visit site
Tracks don't get a backlash from me - like any other livery you need to be happy with the owner and the services on offer. It sounds the best choice for you but could you get up and see him often enough to start with to know it's working. Do you know anyone else there?

HopOnTrot

Visit site
That’s a tricky one, track livery sounds better but is quite a drive to check on him regularly, if you can commit to regular visits especially at the start to ensure he’s happy I would probably go for that.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m not sure either is perfect enough. I’m not sure I’d want to send my oldie that far away. How good would they be at giving you updates? I’d want weekly videos, at least in the beginning. Regarding the local one, you won’t know how your horse copes with mud and no shelter, some thrive and some don’t.

Spotherisk

Visit site
The second one.

You’ve said he’s not clingy. It ticks a lot of boxes from his pov, and as a lot cheaper than where you are now that will mitigate the extra diesel in getting there, although not of course the time.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Not sure either of them would work. Option 1 would have you lying awake at night in winter listening to it raining sideways, and option 2 is too far away to keep an eye on things. Any chance of reducing costs where you are? Part livery? DIY weekends? Not sure I would like to move a 26yo but you know your horse better than I do. Hope you find a solution.

retired_girl

Visit site
Not sure either of them would work. Option 1 would have you lying awake at night in winter listening to it raining sideways, and option 2 is too far away to keep an eye on things. Any chance of reducing costs where you are? Part livery? DIY weekends? Not sure I would like to move a 26yo but you know your horse better than I do. Hope you find a solution.
They are the best I can come up with at the moment.

I can't reduce costs where I am, it is FL only. It is the best yard for turnout that I know of, and its a 1hr10 round trip for me as it is. So I am used to travelling! I have put out feelers/facebook posts to see if there are any private owners near me that would take him on, with me being hands-on. The only thing I can up with is basic grass livery. I did think I could move him to a friends home but their land has been flooded all winter and can't take on another. Also I would prefer to pay livery to a business rather than a friend tbh as there are so many things that can go wrong with friends giving favours. I can't do DIY livery even if there was a suitable yard available, due to my job. I don't have support from anyone else its just me so couldn't ask anyone to see to him when I couldn't.

i can keep him where he is, on FL, but it means basically being muzzled for the rest of his life when he is out during the day. I am also worried about his teeth as the only muzzle that suits him and that stays on is a greenguard.

I don't mind the distance too much tbh, I can go to see him most weekends and even some evenings all year round. With the grass livery option I would only be able to visit at weekends during the winter as it could mean going through several dark fields to whichever field he is in. Its a very large farm.

sportsmansB

Visit site
As fas as him getting used to the retired life-
I have a 17hh ex event horse who lived in large competition yards for 13 years of his life until I retired him at 17 due to navicular. He hadn't spent an overnight outside (or even a meal time, he careered around in the fields until someone caught him if he heard hay being distributed in the yard) in all that time as far as I know. He jumped in at dinner time if he hadn't been fetched in. When I had to retire him, I decided that if he didn't enjoy it I would call it a day for him.
2 years later and I find him and his pony companion out in all weathers despite having a shelter, he hasn't had any issues at all despite no shows (was shod carefully when in work) and he is honestly thriving. Hes a very demonstrative horse and I have no doubt he will tell me when he has had enough, but his adaptation to his new life is amazing.

HelenBack

Visit site
On paper option 2 definitely looks like the better one. My worry at the first one would be your inability to control his weight - as well as your doubts about whether the fattie fields would be enough to keep him slim in summer, I'd also worry about him having access to round bales ad lib in the winter. I think he'd come out of winter fat and then you're already on the back foot when the spring and summer grass come through. I just worry that you'd be on the slippery slope of him gaining weight all year round and then the obvious implications of that.

The track place sounds great apart from the distance. I know you say he's not clingy but how do you feel about him being that far away and you not being able to see him as much as you'd like? That matters as much as what he thinks! Also you do need to be sure you trust the people who will look after him if he's going to be that far away and sometimes things aren't as good as promised when you go to look round so I think that's worth keeping in mind. If you're really confident that you do trust the people running this place and you're happy that you can get there often enough for what you want then I think I'd be inclined to give this one a go. I do feel for you though, I have a retiree who is also my number one and I know I'd hate it if I couldn't get to see him several times a week.

As fas as him getting used to the retired life-
I have a 17hh ex event horse who lived in large competition yards for 13 years of his life until I retired him at 17 due to navicular. He hadn't spent an overnight outside (or even a meal time, he careered around in the fields until someone caught him if he heard hay being distributed in the yard) in all that time as far as I know. He jumped in at dinner time if he hadn't been fetched in. When I had to retire him, I decided that if he didn't enjoy it I would call it a day for him.
2 years later and I find him and his pony companion out in all weathers despite having a shelter, he hasn't had any issues at all despite no shows (was shod carefully when in work) and he is honestly thriving. Hes a very demonstrative horse and I have no doubt he will tell me when he has had enough, but his adaptation to his new life is amazing.

On this, I do agree that horses can adapt much better than we give them credit for. My retired lad wasn't quite as stable bound as this but was always in overnight in the winter and liked his creature comforts. He has wintered out for the first time this year and has taken to it like a duck to water. I did worry about how he'd cope as we also don't have field shelters (but do have really high hedges round the fields) and the fields have gotten pretty muddy in places (and had a few water features at times!) given how much rains we've had. He honestly couldn't care less though and seems the happiest he's been in ages. I think I'd have more of a problem transitioning him back to coming in overnight now. He lives with another retired horse who was also very pampered in his competing days and that one gets very cross if he has to come in for any reason nowadays. I do think horses can revert back to a more "natural" life much more easily than we give them credit for and so long as mine has enough grass or hay then he's perfectly happy whatever the weather.

One final and perhaps controversial suggestion. You say your horse seems a bit bored - are you sure he wants to be fully retired? I wonder if he might enjoy a little hack or something like that a couple of times a week. Obviously I'm not talking anything too strenuous but perhaps that opportunity to stretch his legs and explore a little bit might do both his mind and his body good.

SEL

Visit site
I think distance is only an issue if you don't know the yard. One of my friends is hours away from the track her horse is on but it was an interim solution that worked so well the horse has stayed there.

retired_girl

Visit site
Tracks don't get a backlash from me - like any other livery you need to be happy with the owner and the services on offer. It sounds the best choice for you but could you get up and see him often enough to start with to know it's working. Do you know anyone else there?
yes, I plan to stay over nearby for the 1st few days he is there to settle him in. Also I can visit for a time over the summer, its a holiday area so plenty of airbnbs etc.
also if it is not working out I will just bring him back to my current yard. I won't get another until I am 100% sure he is settled in and it will work for him longterm.

retired_girl

Visit site
I wouldn't want to move a 26 yr old. I wouldn't want to remove him from familiar surroundings, companions and handlers to put him through the stress of settling into a new herd, which could potentially result in injury. I would look again at all the possibilities where he is currently.
There is no other possibility where he is sadly. It is either move him or stay on FL, out at 8am in at 4pm all year round, and muzzled from March - October. Its the muzzle I am struggling with tbh, I hated having to put it on last weekend. Also it costs £700 a month. Which is fine, but it means I won't get another horse. As I said, he comes 1st so if thats the way it has to be that is ok.

Birker2020

Visit site
My horse retired and is on grass 24/7 in a mixed herd of about 25, he retired April 2023. He almost immediately got injured (we are not sure how) and I rehabbed him from a 'significant' tendon injury for two months, deliberately not working so I could concentrate 100% on him, visiting two or three times a day to rehab and look after him a the yard where I kept him and where my stable is held for my next horse.

Then he returned to the herd in July 2023 when he was recovered enough. We had a great deal of worry as he was jumping out of the field due to being bullied, eventually it sorted itself out and the two horses are now friends but we very nearly took him 'home' again.

All went well until October last year when he got his first abscess due to the awful weather conditions, he subsequently developed a further three abscesses, he lost an awful lot of weight, he and others in the herd developed mud fever and rain scald on their faces and the top of their necks. The YO is an amazing person and has really felt rather defeated by it all, she works incredibly hard to make sure the horses are all taken care of and the issues dealt with as best she can but she is so up against it this winter. She has said that horses find it hard their first winter retired, but poor Lari has found it extra hard due to the weather.

It has been a real hard learning curve in terms of the dreadful weather we've had and in terms of the additional cost for hay, hard feed, bute, poultice cost and application costs, etc, etc.
I am often paying an additional £150 a month on top of the £200 already paid for the retirement grazing.

It is not a cheap option, I would suggest you have a contingency fund in case of issues like the above. No one could fortell the awful weather conditions, the constant wet and rain, and mud, and the problems that would ensue. Obviously if you went with a track livery you wouldn't have all these issues as there would be no mud! And you wouldn't have to pay extras for food or hay but the price would be significantly more.

Don't under estimate how much you will miss your horse if he is a distance away. I never stop thinking about Lari, not because I am worried about him in particular although I have been at times, but because I miss him so much, I miss having a horse and the routine and I miss his antics and how much he made me laugh. Lari is a round trip of 35 miles away, we visit at least twice a week whilst I wait to get my next horse, when we will drop it down to once a week.

Not trying to put you off, but there is a lot to think about.

retired_girl

Visit site
One final and perhaps controversial suggestion. You say your horse seems a bit bored - are you sure he wants to be fully retired? I wonder if he might enjoy a little hack or something like that a couple of times a week. Obviously I'm not talking anything too strenuous but perhaps that opportunity to stretch his legs and explore a little bit might do both his mind and his body good.
I agree, hence the handwalking he really enjoys that. Due to the PPID/cushings and a lung infection he now has muscle atrophy just where the saddle sits. There is now a dip there and that made up my mind regarding the riding. I just felt I couldn't put the saddle on him again.

retired_girl

Visit site
yes, I plan to stay over nearby for the 1st few days he is there to settle him in. Also I can visit for a time over the summer, its a holiday area so plenty of airbnbs etc.
also if it is not working out I will just bring him back to my current yard. I won't get another until I am 100% sure he is settled in and it will work for him longterm.
just to note these longer visits will be in addition to the normal visits, which can be once a week at the beginning and then probably twice a month from then on realistically. But I will spend the whole day there when I visit.

exracehorse

Visit site
Ok. Why don’t you advertise for him as a companion. To come in at night etc. Treated like he is ond of their own. But you cover vet bills. Farrier. Wormer etc. I advertised on local Facebook horse sites as ‘I’ wanted a companion after I lost Beau and couldn’t take two out for a ride and leave one behind. I was offering free full retirement livery really. But couldn’t cover medical bills. Especially for an older chap. Harley came to me 5 weeks ago and he has five star care. But owners pay for additional costs. They are in the next county but I send daily videos etc x

ihatework

Visit site
Definitely the second, but only provided you can check on him fairly regularly- fortnightly initially and then when comfortable at least monthly.

PurBee

Visit site
With your options i’d choose 2nd option track. I wouldnt want any horse out in the winter with no shelter at your grass livery option, especially not an oldie.
Some consider hedging/trees sheltering, which it is up to a point, but the bitterly cold windy/rainy winter days and nights there needs to be 3 sided full sheltering for protection from the worst of the weather.

shanti

Visit site
Track systems' get a lot of hate because so many people don't do them properly. People just put a fence around the perimeter of the paddock, chuck some hay out every day and think they have a perfect track.
If the track system is really good, then I would opt for that if you have to move him anyway. You can always re-assess if he doesn't settle.

alibali

Visit site
just to note these longer visits will be in addition to the normal visits, which can be once a week at the beginning and then probably twice a month from then on realistically. But I will spend the whole day there when I visit.

With careful monitoring at the start to make sure he is being properly integrated and settling well as you've said you intend then definitely try the track first. Particularly coming into spring and a bit too well! You can always move him again if necessary

Birker2020

Visit site
You have to bear in mind that there will be scuffles to start with, your horse may/will have bite marks on them and get bullied to start with. Nearly every individual horse that I have seen introduced to our retirement herd has stood on its own for the first few days, looking very sorry for themselves, you know straight away they are new by the way they are on their own by the gate, 20 acres away from the herd. And then gradually, day by day they get nearer and nearer to the herd, grazing on the periphery until they all become one. This is a process that can take anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks or more as in Lari's case. For some reason he was terrified and I mean terrified of the one horse, the one day it started walking towards him from about 50 foot away and he shot behind his friend and stood at the other side of him out of sight of the horse, I couldn't believe my eyes how frightened he was. Yet they share a bale of hay now without issue! And he's a really nice horse, nothing nasty about him so not sure why Lari reacted the way he did!

We have about 40 acres though and lots of fields, into fields, into more fields so they do tend to stretch themselves out. It can be quite disturbing to start with. When Lari was bullied he was put in a two acre field with a friend (an old quiet boy) to allow him to build his confidence and then when he went back in with the herd he continued to jump out the y.o split the herd which was incredibly kind of her, but obviously this couldn't continue. Then the week we were going to pull him out and take him home two new horses joined (friends with each other already) and they stuck by Lari and shooed off the other horses. He never stands with them now, but for some days he was stuck by their side by glue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all herds are different, and all personalities are different. Just because this happened to my boy doesn't mean it will happen to yours but you do need to be aware that the pecking order will need to be established and it doesn't make for comfortable viewing at times. So you staying all day for a couple of days you might only see a very small percentage of what could happen further in the future when your horse is accepted so don't be tempted to make a decision to pull him out too soon. Good luck.

1709884730213.png

Last edited:

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I agree option 2 but neither is ideal. As Extacehorse says…. My friend is offering full livery non ridden for a token amount plus vet bills. Any combination of restriction or stabling.

Tarragon

Visit site
I like the sound of Option 2, for the horse. I have a feeling that once you know he is settled, you will probably visit less and be happy with videos and photos in between visits. Unless of course, you really planned to visit more frequently so makes the distance impractical.

lannerch

Visit site
My retired boy is very happy on option one , he was stabled at night through most of his life but adapted and flourished in a mixed herd it helps that the fields they are out in are massive so you get different groups that hang around together and not just one herd.

There is a massive field of poorer hilly grazing for fatties at his retirement place they all thrive well without getting too fat .

Jellymoon

Visit site
I’m not a huge fan of track systems (a lot of them look like miserable mud corridors to me) but this one sounds really nice. I wouldn’t worry about the distance, if he’s happy, you’ll ’let go’.
The other one also sounds ok…but I’d also be concerned about the winters…I don’t think horses do well standing in wet ground 24/07.