WWYD? - Tack & loan pony issue

Sunshine

Visit site
Last year I let our little native mare go on permanent loan to local BHS riding school to replace one of their elderly 'first ridden' lesson ponies. It would be the perfect home as she needed to be ridden regularly and looked after properly to for weight management, although she had never had laminitis. I also provided bridle, bit, numnahs, girths and complete saddle. Originally she was sent with a synthetic, adjustable one, as I knew she would be getting fitter, but the yard manager asked if I had one a little larger whilst they were riding her to school and work her ready for lessons. So I ended up letting them have my best Ideal WH for her (I knew it was the best fit as it had been her showing one).
However, today we went to use their indoor and noticed my saddle was out on the rack ready for a lesson in the other school. Knowing that it was only the more experienced riders that had later lessons I asked YM if our old girl had progressed to doing more. "err, no. I know it's cheeky but..." Turns out they have been using my saddle for another pony that is ridden more frequently and vigorously than our girl, because it fits that pony and they have been given an old foreign leather one they are using on ours because she has fittened up. I was not amused about it, and just said that they should have told me and I could have brought the synthetic one back before. OH was furious overhearing this and insists that we only have a responsibility to provide the saddle for our pony -not the other one - and they have sourced one that they are happy to use so we should have ours back.

So, how do I turn up with the synthetic adjustable saddle and take back my Ideal,(even though I know they will be planning to use it for the other pony in a jumping comp on Sunday) and risk a big upset, or wait until after, or how else do I deal with it. I obviously can't guarantee they will keep the best saddle for use just by our pony and I am rather upset that they feel it is ok to substitute a poor quality saddle onto our girl.

WelshD

Visit site
If the synthetic one fits your pony I would take that and insist its only used on your pony

And remove the Ideal with the excuse that you are planning to sell it or something

I think you are right to be unhappy especially given that a far inferior saddle is being used on your pony. What sort of riding school doesnt have tack for all of it's ponies!?

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm failing to see what the problem is. They aren't using the saddle but on another pony without your permission.
It doesn't need to cause a fall out, just take the synthetic saddle tell them that you can see that your pony no longer needs the nice ideal so you are swapping the saddles.
There is no need to mention the fact they are using it on another pony.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm sorry my post makes no sense.
I meant to say:
I'm struggling to see what the problem is with taking the ideal saddle back. It no longer fits your pony & they are using it on another without your permission. They are wrong & have no place to get funny with you

TequilaMist

Visit site
TBH I would be annoyed esp as your pony not even using it, it gets something else!!
Would just take synthetic up and say your swapping them and could it be used on your pony.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd not just take it back, I'd ask for the name of the saddler that had fitted the crappy one to yours, because you'd like to get him back out to check the ideals fit hasn't been effected. Tbh though, I'd be keeping a very close eye, if they are happy to let your pony be ridden in any old crap they have to hand, I would worry what other aspects of care they were compromising on.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'd not just take it back, I'd ask for the name of the saddler that had fitted the crappy one to yours, because you'd like to get him back out to check the ideals fit hasn't been effected. Tbh though, I'd be keeping a very close eye, if they are happy to let your pony be ridden in any old crap they have to hand, I would worry what other aspects of care they were compromising on.
This.

TBH I can't see what your problem is with swapping the sddles. Simply take the synthetic one, give it to YO, ask for Ideal 'as you don't need it now that she has muscled up'.
You have no need to worry about what YO thinks - rather the other way round. YOU are doing the RS the favour.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Unfortunately this is what happens in riding schools, colleges and the like - tack does tend to get "shared" with other horses in the yard and TBH there is really precious little you can do about it.

Yes, its annoying, very much so, but don't honestly think there's a lot you can do about it on a day-to-day basis.

One suggestion might be to get your tack clearly labelled on the little "D" ring near the stirrup bar with a little metal tag (like a dog tag) so that there's no excuse for anyone to say they "didn't notice" it was your pony's. Ditto the bridle. I did this when my horse was at equestrian college to designate which was his tack.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I would be pretty miffed too tbh - it's a breach of trust, and as another poster said, if they are scrimping on tack then what else might they be doing?

I would just go up with the synthetic and ask for the ideal back. I might also be looking at an alternative loan home for pony.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It sounds like they have already admitted that they are being cheeky, so I would think they are expecting you to take it back... Just go and take the synthetic saddle, and say your other saddle is your best one and you'd rather it go home before it gets worn/damaged.. They will understand. They're already lucky to have the use of your pony.

bumper

Visit site
I'm failing to see why you should be at all embarrassed about this situation, as they have already have admitted they are in the wrong, by saying "It's cheeky".
If the synthetic fits....swap. It's YOUR pony. I really don't think you have to explain, either.