WWYD; Teenagercausing unrest on the yard

muff747

Visit site
Update; I've chatted with the mum and she's not happy about the free rein :rolleyes: her daughter has been given and is very supportive IF the YO needs the money etc. She will come up to the yard tomorrow to try to talk to everyone, ally, horse owner and YO.

I've chatted with the YO and she didn't realise how young the teen is for a start. On numerous occasions has said no kids so she wasn't comfortable with not knowing about her. From now on no more kids must be invited onto the yard to loan horses, only adults.
She said she obviously needs the money BUT she would rather do without than anyone getting upset. So I told her I'd contacted the teens mum and that she was supportive of what we decide, so she said the advert will stay for the space and if someone wants to come she will have to accept another in her section, whenever that may be.
Now the HO has got involved and is upset because the rules have been laid down and can't understand why all the fuss, but has accepted that the teen must be under his supervision from now on.
I am not really self appointed, we all decided in the outset to help the YO and they said I should put in the advert and I would arrange for prospective new liveries to come when all there so we can vet. We all decided we needed more space in the feed rooms and the barn and we have made a bit but cannot accomodate any more so that's why we were discussing the other feed room with only one section occupied. The YO did leave it to me to let everyone know what she had decided so I suppose I have been appointed by her to be spokesperson, but as we all know, it's the messenger that gets shot! I would rather it was me getting the hassle than the YO but they are going to speak to her this afternoon anyway:mad:

SusieT

Visit site
Well it will be interesting to know the outcome. I'm still not sure why you don't just do your own horse and let YO sort out any other messes-as a working adult she will be more than capable of doing what needs done!
I think you're excess of time being newly retired may need an additional hobby so little things don't grate!

MiniMilton

Visit site
Well it will be interesting to know the outcome. I'm still not sure why you don't just do your own horse and let YO sort out any other messes-as a working adult she will be more than capable of doing what needs done!
I think you're excess of time being newly retired may need an additional hobby so little things don't grate!

Some people are very timid. Regardless of if they are a working adult or happen to own a yard. I know I would appreciate someone standing up for my very timid widowed mum.

gmw

Visit site
Some people are very timid. Regardless of if they are a working adult or happen to own a yard. I know I would appreciate someone standing up for my very timid widowed mum.

Surely there's the question of responsibility to be considered; at fourteen she is a child and could not be 'responsible' for making decisions regarding the horses welfare what if there was an accident? How does she stand with insurance etc etc.Far too many of these children and 'teenagers' are left to their own device on yards usually causing mayhem. I am a grandmother of nine and know how naughty disrespectful and down right horrid unsupervised kids can be.The sooner she leaves the better for all concerned. Having said all this, most of the youngsters around here are wondeful (love my grandkids to bits by the way I sound as if I am a regular child eater)

Adopter

Visit site
OP sounds as if you are getting it sorted, hope it all goes well. Agree with others 14 is very difficult age, not a child but not mature enough to understand all the implications of decisions etc.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Oh goodness what a load of complications you have undertaken. Personally I don't see that you need to be getting this overly involved in what others on the yard do. This really is all stuff that the YO should be dealing with, and if she really is as timid as you believe then she needs to grow up a bit if she wants to continue running a yard, and if I were you I would be the one encouraging her to take responsibility for her business/land/clients. It's not your place to do this and if you continue it is highly likely you could alienate yourself from everyone else on the yard.

muff747

Visit site
Another omission was that it is a very small yard and before the new liveries arrived we were only five plus the teen so it is difficult to not be involved with each other.
Spring Feather, not sure if you read all of my first post - granted is was verrryy long though!

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions, really appreciate your time. Mum should be coming to farm tomorrow so hopefully we'll have a chat all together.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yes I read your first post and subsequent posts which is why I think you need to take a back seat and encourage the YO to be running HER business without getting you involved and you risking potential alienation.