Wwyd - unusual yard problem

Pilatesclare

Visit site
I am on a beautiful small yard which is DIY only and have been very happy here for several years. There is a 20x60 arena, all year t/o, large stables, good hacking and my boy is very settled here.

There are a max of 5 horses and this is where I have a problem. A year ago we had four horses then one left. No one else came along and then out of the blue, the other two horses left this weekend (they belonged to one family) which has left my lad on his own. He copes on his own but I need to find a solution asap.

I have looked at some DIY yards in the area and they are not of a great standard so I am reluctant to move. My options are:

A) Move to another DIY yard and sacrifice on facilities

B) Move to a more professional yard and go on part or full livery in order to get decent facilities

C) Get a companion pony and stay where I am

D) Hope another livery comes along

E) open to other people's ideas!

I'm not keen on option A but at least we would have other horse company. Option B seems like a waste of money when I have the time (and like to) do him myself. Option C I hesitate over as I don't especially want another horse but a non ridden pony preferably on loan could work. Option D, I don't have time on my side as my horse needs company sooner rather than later.

Anyone got any ideas? Or does anyone have a pony I can borrow?!

suffolkmare

Visit site
With YO's permission could you put a "livery available/retirement livery/companion required" plea on FB local to you? Hope you find someone soon.

catroo

Visit site
Could you speak with a rehoming charity in the area and see if you can loan a pony?

If they know from the outset it's temporary then they probably won't mind, it's one less mouth to feed and care for!

Or if there's a big stud farm in the area they may have an empty mare they could lend you?

Where in the country are you?

Pilatesclare

Visit site
Thank you for the ideas! The yard does have an advert up but is a bit anti fb.
Catroo - I wasn't sure if a charity would be interested in a short term loan but I can ask I guess. Unfortunately he can't go out with mares as he has been known to be too amorous!
Eta I'm in herts

WelshD

Visit site
With YO's permission could you put a "livery available/retirement livery/companion required" plea on FB local to you? Hope you find someone soon.

I'd do this. This sort of yard should have a waiting list if there was a proactive YO so i would ask if you could do the advertising, even if its just a brief post on Facebook to say 'I'm at this great yard and we have vacancies!'

pansymouse

Visit site
When faced with the same situation I had a loan pony from the Blue Cross; he was an absolute sweetheart and I kept him for the rest of his life. He did however teach my horse that only wimps respected electric fences and fortune and great grass riches favoured the brave.

Clueless

Visit site
Hi Pilatesclare, I've PMd you, as a friend is interested. She's joining H&H to try to get in touch, bit I think there's a number of posts needed before pms are allowed.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
When faced with the same situation I had a loan pony from the Blue Cross; he was an absolute sweetheart and I kept him for the rest of his life. He did however teach my horse that only wimps respected electric fences and fortune and great grass riches favoured the brave.

:) I love this

Merlod

Visit site
It sounds like a very nice yard, I can't see why the stables would stand empty long. Perhaps you could join a few facebook groups and search for people looking for livery and drop them the details instead of posting an advert publicly. Though personally I advertisted my (very similar yard) DIY stables on facebook and I had enquiries coming out my ears, could have filled the spaces twenty times over! Ideal as I was able to pick and choose the most suitable person!

Pilatesclare

Visit site
Thanks all, I will ask the yo about advertising on fb (although neither of us are on fb at present!).
I have also applied with whw to rehome a pony.

chaps89

Visit site
Could you pm me with where you are please? I'm not looking now but will be at the end of the year and where you are sounds lovely!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I'd do this. This sort of yard should have a waiting list if there was a proactive YO so i would ask if you could do the advertising, even if its just a brief post on Facebook to say 'I'm at this great yard and we have vacancies!'

Yes along with adverts up at local tack shops
You could if you go to local shows put an advert in your car or horsebox
Local newspaper

Get your own small pony and then advertise a sharer or loan that way even if the sharer leaves you will always have a second horse there

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I am on a beautiful small yard which is DIY only and have been very happy here for several years. There is a 20x60 arena, all year t/o, large stables, good hacking and my boy is very settled here.

There are a max of 5 horses and this is where I have a problem. A year ago we had four horses then one left. No one else came along and then out of the blue, the other two horses left this weekend (they belonged to one family) which has left my lad on his own. He copes on his own but I need to find a solution asap.

I have looked at some DIY yards in the area and they are not of a great standard so I am reluctant to move. My options are:

A) Move to another DIY yard and sacrifice on facilities

B) Move to a more professional yard and go on part or full livery in order to get decent facilities

C) Get a companion pony and stay where I am

D) Hope another livery comes along

E) open to other people's ideas!

I'm not keen on option A but at least we would have other horse company. Option B seems like a waste of money when I have the time (and like to) do him myself. Option C I hesitate over as I don't especially want another horse but a non ridden pony preferably on loan could work. Option D, I don't have time on my side as my horse needs company sooner rather than later.

Anyone got any ideas? Or does anyone have a pony I can borrow?!

If the yard is that nice I would pm some friends and see if they are interested in joining you.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would definitely start with asking around friends to see if anyone has a spare to lend for the time being. We had a couple in emergency reserve when I moved Frank which left my Mum's mare on her tod and we didn't know quite what we were going to do at that point.

SusieT

Visit site
could you offer grazing to a local charity for the summer for one or two ponies, so not taking on a pony as such? most are crying out for similar!

Pilatesclare

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. First thing I did was contact anyone horsey I know. Unfortunately they are mostly on full livery or have their own places and no room for us.

Hadn't thought about getting another and then finding a sharer, that might be worth thinking about.

SusieT that's a good idea, will try some local charities today.

Chaps89 will pm you.