WWYD - yard related

Colline

Visit site
I think I know the answer but just need that little push. I hate my yard - all bar one person is two faced, yard owner is a bit psycho. Yard is lovely though decent stables and fields etc. just extremely pricey :-( friend offered for me to move in with her lot. V.v reasonable rent but no electric (other than generator) and no water - would have to be taken there in cans. Place needs a tidy up but I think I would be happy there plus the money I save means I could be saving for a house sooner. Opinions please :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
carrying water is very hard work -but i would still do it over being unhappy on a livery yard with nutters!!

Colline

Visit site
I've done it before and whilst it did drive me a bit mad I think it will be much nicer with my friend!

Ali27

Visit site
Nothing worse than two faced people and a psycho yard owner! I would definitely be tempted to move however you may find lack of electricity and water hard especially in winter and hot weather! How long has your friend been there? We are lucky as on a brand new yard with fantastic facilities with lovely owners who let us do our own thing. We are in charge of finding people to fill our empty stables. However we are finding it hard to find people that aren't two faced, turn up to do their own horses every day, vaccinate and are normal! The joys of DIY!

Colline

Visit site
Friend has been there years place needs a good tidy up but other than that is ok. Close to my work too which is important. I can always pop up there in my lunch hour if need be etc. I would be saving so much money I really could get myself sorted and back on my feet a lot quicker. I think it's a no brainer really. I have to move!

muddygreymare

Visit site
Our yard had no electricity or running water last winter and we managed. We had lots of battery charged lights and we collected rain in wheelie bins and if we were running short we brought containers up. It's honestly not that bad, I'd definitely move :)

Ali27

Visit site
Sounds like you should move then especially if so close to work! Get a head torch, spare batteries and some water containers! And finally, ENJOY:)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Move and invest the savings in water butts to collect rain from stables and a towable bowser for drinking water. You shouldn't hate somewhere you spend a good amount of your free time!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I'll throw another option into the mix....... you look at other yards too.

Being without water and leccy, especially if everything freezes up and it's winter dark would drive me batty. Water butts do freeze up if it's cold enough. Winter is hard enough now without putting yourself through that......and maybe move to your friend's for the summer ?

Let us know what you decide to do - and would be interested to hear how you get on if you do go to your friend's. x

Goldenstar

Visit site
Carting water is hard but I think it would be worth it.
In time you could get a solar panel on the roof to charge the battery's which makes life much easier.
At once I would get butts collecting water from every roof and if you have a car with a tow bar a bowser would be a great investment to.
Horses are supposed to be fun if the yard makes it not fun it's sensible to move.

Sunshine

Visit site
Has your friend priced up the cost of having water connected? It might be feasible to have this done between now and winter, especially if she uses your livery money towards the costs.
In the meantime I would be considering other yards, and if desperate to move then go to your friend's, try it out, but continue to investigate other yards before winter.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'd move too but not necessarily to your friends place. If she thinks the same way as you and poo picks, maintains the fields and fencing etc, then, it might be fine if you are happy to manage without water/electric etc.
If not, it could drive you crazy and put an unfair burden on you.

Are the facilities at your current yard something you would miss if you moved there ? Is the hacking good and would you miss having a good ménage, lighting for the farrier and vet and is there cover on the yard from driving rain in winter when you're tacking up ?

Is security sufficient ? Don't rush from the frying pan into the fire, make sure you know that your friends yard is somewhere that you'd be able to enjoy your time with your horse.