WWYD

MyLuckyStar

Visit site
A friend brought a pony for her daughter, all was fine for a couple of months then in February he started nodding in trot. Put him on box rest as thought he might of pulled something and he was ok for a bit but then started nodding again.

They called the vet and they said to put him on bute and box rest which they did, arrangements were made for nerve blocks and x rays. In between time he was put on box rest and 1 bute a day (split between two feeds) up until the x rays. The vet initially thought it could be arthritis, on looking at the x rays it is arthritis.

She called them in to look at the x rays and said he has arthritis and ring bone on his right fore, she's said they can't give him any injections as the area is too narrow. She suggested putting him out in a smallish field and to up his bute to two a day (last time he went out on bute he was on 1 a day and over did it bombing around in the field so went lame again).

I asked whether eggbar shoes would help him and whether they should try him on some supplments but she wasn't sure about the eggbars :s but to speak to our farrier. He has said that the eggbars would help him so he will be having these on next time the farrier comes out (May 9th). My friend has been out and brought him some cider vinegar and Cortaflex to which he started Saturday.

Now the part I don't understand is that he isn't nodding at all any more and hasn't done for a week or so, he's on one bute a day and clearly this is helping but the vet suggested upping his bute to two a day. And she also said that he will only ever be a light hacking pony (my friends daughter doesn't want to do any jumping but was hoping to do the odd local ridden showing show) but there could be a possibility he might have to retire :s

I've suggested they get a second opinon off another vet at the practice

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why waste money on a second opinion? Horse is now sound on 1 bute a day - the increase to 2 would be to help reduce as quickly as possible any inflammation around the joint.

Once the horse has been weened off the bute, and remains sound then there's no reason at all not to start gentle exercise.

However, ringbone is degenerative, so the horse will eventually be unable to work.

Is it articular or non articular ringbone?

And as an aside, I retired my little mare the minute she was diagnosed with non articular ringbone. Took the shoes off - 3 months later she was completely sound.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
My old mare was lame with ringbone for a few weeks when she was under the age of 10. It fused and she went on to hunt, cross country, SJ and loads of hacking all completely sound until she became cushingoid at the age of 23. I would wean him off the bute and see how he is - some do fuse very successfully

unbalanced

Visit site
Second opinion. There is a lot more they can do for arthritis than joint injections e.g. Tildren, adequan etc. Make sure you speak to a vet with a special interest in lameness.
I have no clue why your vet would tell you to restrict movement for an arthritic. Movement is one of the best things you can do - obviously don't force anything uncomfortable, but certainly start with turnout.
I would also think seriously about pulling the shoes. Mine has improved massively since she is no longer shod. Shoes increase concussion to the whole leg whereas if the horse is not shod the hoof absorbs the forces of movement.
You could also try a good joint supplement. I use riaflex which is not too expensive.
Good luck.

MyLuckyStar

Visit site
Thanks

They spoke to the vet yesterday and she has now said to keep him on one bute a day and turnout but not ride him. She is away this week and next but will come out once she's back to assess him with a view to bringing him back into work.

She has also advised against the eggbar shoes